Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

"Captain?" Tom Youngs report.

Post by wormus »

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/were-at ... it-youngs/
Whereas the Telegraph called our brown paper bag defence.

Slipping on the frost…

Leicester Tigers: Atrocious. We have never seen anything like it from a club that prides itself on being a force at home and in Europe. This was Leicester’s heaviest ever European defeat, the humiliation best reflected by the numbers of empty seats. Glasgow were phenomenal, no doubt. But how low Leicester have sunk.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "Captain?" Tom Youngs report.

Post by Grimlish »

I always thought that when at the bottom of the pit it's a good idea to stop digging. Hasn't gone up in my estimation with that nugget of captaincy.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

IMO, captaincy is not for him. He is no where near the player of 4 years ago that saw cement a Lions place. He should step down and focus on his form etc and bring back Slater as skip. Remember, there was a whisper that Slater could be a future England captain when he lead the midweek side in NZ before injury.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

bc wrote:IMO, captaincy is not for him. He is no where near the player of 4 years ago that saw cement a Lions place. He should step down and focus on his form etc and bring back Slater as skip. Remember, there was a whisper that Slater could be a future England captain when he lead the midweek side in NZ before injury.
Slater due to re-sign? And has not? Anyone know?
He would be my choice as captain.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I have to say, Saturday was the first time I've truly thought that maybe he isn't up to the job. It was the moment we were 38-0 down with the conversion to come. Rather than get the team together in a huddle and offer a captain's rallying cry about pride, the whole team were staring aimlessly into space with their hands on their hips, absolutely silent.

I'd want a captain to be taking a lead there.
palletman

Post by palletman »

I posted on another link that as a captain, ours on Saturday was a disgrace and should consider his position. Why he took so little interest when we shipped such easy tries makes you wonder exactly what has and IS going on in our great club. I noticed that it was Tait doing all the talking and I for one think we can somehow salvage something from this ....e situation but somebody needs to act and act quickly.
Would be nice if somebody broke ranks and was honest with us deserving fans.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I am reluctant to call such a committed player as OTY a disgrace but the lack of getting the troops together and telling them what was needed was plain to see.
Tom seems to be carrying a great burden at the moment and, whether it's the Club or domestic (the latter of which I / we have no right to know), he needs to be released from it in my view.
I don't think he even got angry when our lineout was turned in to their penalty in the second half...........
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

tigercaspian wrote: I don't think he even got angry when our lineout was turned in to their penalty in the second half...........
That just summed up the whole game - dithering and indecision being punished.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

"That’s what we are going to do. There’s no getting away from that. We have lost four or five on the trot now and that’s nowhere near good enough."

So poor Tom doesn't even know how many games we've lost? Yes time for a break I'd say. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

To be honest it pretty understandable that he wasn't 100% when interviewed straight after the game as he was clearly pretty :censored: off. However it has been noticable via the ref link at recent games that all he does is annoy the refs and managing that relationship is such a vital part of the game that I also think its time fo him to step down.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

This Tom Youngs bashing started on social media several months ago for the 2 shirt and has not let up since.
IMO an agenda has been spun and built up.
He is a good player, not perfect but good enough.
He wears the arm band because he is one of a few that wears his heart on his sleeve, something clearly recognised by coaches as being required, he tries to lead by example, not always successfully but at least he tries!
IMO no skipper in Europe could've changed that team performance on Saturday, these are pro players and it was absolutely shocking, seriously what do you want him to say at 38-0!
IMO when a player is not enjoying rugby he will not play well and in Tom's case he is no different to anyone else currently, but he is the leader by example, if the others would follow rather than play politics then they might play better as a team!
That said he could do with some solid back up in his position as currently he is the only hooker good enough to start against big teams and is being overplayed IMO.
I'd add on the talking to refs, that's the skippers job, some decisions have been very questionable, if he oversteps the mark then the ref will tell him to zip it, I haven't seen that line crossed!
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

I was chatting to Tom at the Beers with the Boys event on Tuesday night. I've known and staunchly supported Tom since he was at Nottingham and he knows he has no need to put on an act around me; I've seen a lot of stuff, stuff which I have no desire to mention but he and I know what I mean here. The conversation started inanely enough, he enquired after my health (rubbish as usual) and we made light hearted jokes about each other's ages but then as soon as the subject of rugby came up he looked utterly dejected.
Hand on heart I will stand up and defend Tom here, he loves the game and the team and is passionate about it. He doesn't want to fail- he never did. He worked like a Trojan when he was at Nottingham to prove himself and this is the Tom I know and love (metaphorically speaking of course!) He's 100% not a quitter- if he was then he would have given up through some very dark times early in his career. But he kept going. I understand the fact he's the captain and should lead the team but also consider there are 14 other players on the field. I have never agreed with bashing the captain when the team do poorly and I certainly won't on this occasion. If he were to lose the captaincy then perhaps someone other than Slater could do it. I'm probably going to get flamed for this as it seems Slater is somewhat of a blue eyed boy on here but I don't rate Slater, either as a captain or a player.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I would respect Tom Youngs more if he voluntarily decided to relinquish the role of club and team captain, because since taking on this job last season his personal form has crashed through the floor into the basement, indeed an ideal place to start digging pits or whatever! He needs to have a break away from Rugby
for at least 3 or 4 weeks and this would be the ideal time to do it. No one is doubting his genuine desire and love for the tigers, but when you are in a rut you don't get out of it by digging deeper.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's possible OTY might not be playing for a couple of weeks but will likely be required to return against stronger opposition which puts the situation into perspective, in which case Harrison should be skipper.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

maire88 wrote:I was chatting to Tom at the Beers with the Boys event on Tuesday night. I've known and staunchly supported Tom since he was at Nottingham and he knows he has no need to put on an act around me; I've seen a lot of stuff, stuff which I have no desire to mention but he and I know what I mean here. The conversation started inanely enough, he enquired after my health (rubbish as usual) and we made light hearted jokes about each other's ages but then as soon as the subject of rugby came up he looked utterly dejected.
Hand on heart I will stand up and defend Tom here, he loves the game and the team and is passionate about it. He doesn't want to fail- he never did. He worked like a Trojan when he was at Nottingham to prove himself and this is the Tom I know and love (metaphorically speaking of course!) He's 100% not a quitter- if he was then he would have given up through some very dark times early in his career. But he kept going. I understand the fact he's the captain and should lead the team but also consider there are 14 other players on the field. I have never agreed with bashing the captain when the team do poorly and I certainly won't on this occasion. If he were to lose the captaincy then perhaps someone other than Slater could do it. I'm probably going to get flamed for this as it seems Slater is somewhat of a blue eyed boy on here but I don't rate Slater, either as a captain or a player.
:smt023

Excellent post and summed the situation up well, he did appear anxious at the Beer with Boys event, Dosser Smith was the star - don't need a microphone! :smt023