Bath blocks Ford exit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bath blocks Ford exit

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Does anyone know how the international payments work..

Say for instance a player gets a salary of £350,000 per season from his club

Is the £22k per match just added to that? Very decent if so and then England also pay the club for having him?

Apologies if this is a stupid question I just wanted some clarity on it as 11 internationals at £22k per match is a very decent wage increase for a lot of players I would imagine..
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Does anyone know how the international payments work..

Is the £22k per match just added to that? Very decent if so and then England also pay the club for having him?

Apologies if this is a stupid question I just wanted some clarity on it as 11 internationals at £22k per match is a very decent wage increase for a lot of players I would imagine..
Players England wages are on top of club wages and I believe England in effect pay the clubs for their availability.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Standard player contract has sections for salary (4.1), match fee (4.2) and additional remuneration (4.3). There is no mention of salary deductions for international payments but obviously club match fees will be foregone.

As I have tried to explain before, very few (ie, a number approaching zero) players will be on a fixed salary with no additional payments for play and performance/achievement.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

sapajo wrote:

Players England wages are on top of club wages and I believe England in effect pay the clubs for their availability.
It is worth noting that the RFU reimbursement was split across all clubs with little if any regard for which clubs supplied the players. I'm not aware that this has changed much, can anybody enlighten me?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Iain wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:L Smith so what I know Halfpenny is a fullback and Ford a fly half, It's his kicking ability and fly half play that interests them, as for being selected for
international duty, well the national team doesn't pay his wages do they and a possible future colleague at Toulon ie Steffan Armitage will tell him that a few hundred thousand euros in his bank account will assuage his thirst to play for England.
I'm unsure where to start with this...

1. Why mention Halfpenny at all then?
2. The international team does pay a large section of his wages - circa £22k* per match plus various segmenets of sponsorship and image rights.
3. Steffon Armitage doesn't play for Toulon anymore and left under a significant cloud. Also Armitage was a fringe Saxons player when he left not an incumbent starter for England.

*edit for information above.
I assume you've encountered Noddy before...

That was bad even for him. Couldn't resist.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

h's dad wrote:
sapajo wrote:

It is worth noting that the RFU reimbursement was split across all clubs with little if any regard for which clubs supplied the players. I'm not aware that this has changed much, can anybody enlighten me?
My understanding was the RFU paid clubs directly for how many players they provide.

The RFU tried to compensate clubs fairly, and the clubs that (historically) didn't provide many international players didn't want to miss out on £££ so voted for the PRL to adjust the TV money so that all clubs were equal.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
h's dad wrote:It is worth noting that the RFU reimbursement was split across all clubs with little if any regard for which clubs supplied the players. I'm not aware that this has changed much, can anybody enlighten me?
My understanding was the RFU paid clubs directly for how many players they provide.

The RFU tried to compensate clubs fairly, and the clubs that (historically) didn't provide many international players didn't want to miss out on £££ so voted for the PRL to adjust the TV money so that all clubs were equal.
Thanks TiB. I missed the PRL out of the chain. So all clubs were made financially equal but those providing England players had to do without them during the international window - a direct incentive to not have England players.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

h's dad wrote:
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
h's dad wrote:It is worth noting that the RFU reimbursement was split across all clubs with little if any regard for which clubs supplied the players. I'm not aware that this has changed much, can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks TiB. I missed the PRL out of the chain. So all clubs were made financially equal but those providing England players had to do without them during the international window - a direct incentive to not have England players.
Missing out the PRL step completely changes the deal. The RFU tried to compensate clubs for them having players supplied to England (the RFU's representative team).

It was the PRL (the union that the clubs sit behind) that chose to mess it up. The PRL and RFU are not affiliated in any way, the PRL is the umbrella body that the professional players and clubs sit under, and are often at loggerheads with the RFU.