Maxime Mermoz (centre, Toulon) close to join Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Maxime Mermoz (centre, Toulon) close to join Leicester

Post by chewbacca »

I reckon he has signed but needs one more opportunity to pick up a season ending injury before pulling on a tigers shirt
I'm not cynical just experienced
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

jgriffin wrote:
sapajo wrote:Perhaps not??????? Martin Gillingham has tweeted this today;-

Immediate move of @MaximeMermoz1 from @RCTofficiel to @LeicesterTigers taken a bit of a twist. France centre is in Toulon squad for Saturday
Why does this seem to be an echo of recent attempts to sign Top players? Gazumping seems to have taken over negotiations big time, love to know exactly what the wage bill is for some of these clubs!
I will be very surprised if he now comes, it seems as if someone has upped the anti on his wages and we cannot compete.

The close season is going to be very, very interesting!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would be surpised if he doesn't come really.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Sounds sensible. Was rumoured to have been a target in the past few seasons. So, sacking Cockers has freed up enough cash to bring in a medical joker from his new club. :smt001
I suspect sacking Cockers will have cost more than it saved by the time the severance package has been sorted.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Sounds sensible. Was rumoured to have been a target in the past few seasons. So, sacking Cockers has freed up enough cash to bring in a medical joker from his new club. :smt001
I suspect sacking Cockers will have cost more than it saved by the time the severance package has been sorted.
Sacking Cockers will not have freed up any cash - he could expect some salary in lieu plus a severance, depending on his lawyers, and money would have to be set aside. Regardless, the parameters for players are set by the cap and the dispensations, which unless you are a certain team or two, are genuine barriers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

What am I missing? Mermoz is A target and some here are saying we have been gazumped (again), perhaps in the sense that his agent has increased the asking price/salary (I'm not hearing of interest from other clubs). Tigers have confirmed their interest but not the level of that interest. Mermoz is named in the 23 for their game Vs Sarries this w/e. He has been out of contention for a while, hence his availability, but his interest in Tigers has diminished now there's a new coach at his current club (who has previously expressed admiration for him) and he looks likely to get some game time.

So in what sense have we been gazumped? Why do we need a conspiracy theory to make sense of this scenario? Are other people better informed or is it just a question of an idea getting into the wild of people's imagination?

I'll be happy if we get his signature but I aint holding my breath.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

kelmat wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
sapajo wrote:Perhaps not??????? Martin Gillingham has tweeted this today;-

Immediate move of @MaximeMermoz1 from @RCTofficiel to @LeicesterTigers taken a bit of a twist. France centre is in Toulon squad for Saturday
Why does this seem to be an echo of recent attempts to sign Top players? Gazumping seems to have taken over negotiations big time, love to know exactly what the wage bill is for some of these clubs!
I will be very surprised if he now comes, it seems as if someone has upped the anti on his wages and we cannot compete.

The close season is going to be very, very interesting!
Various sources have said he arrives first February - so until the he's their player. May as well play him if they have need until he's off.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

There is a rumour circulating which I have yet to have confirmed that Mermoz has
signed and he will be at Welford Road on Saturday but not in a playing capacity as
the tie with Glasgow as we know is a European Champ cup fixture and the rules say that anyone registered as a player cannot play for another club in the same season
in European fixtures with the possible exception of the final. So let's wait and see.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:There is a rumour circulating which I have yet to have confirmed that Mermoz has
signed and he will be at Welford Road on Saturday but not in a playing capacity as
the tie with Glasgow as we know is a European Champ cup fixture and the rules say that anyone registered as a player cannot play for another club in the same season
in European fixtures with the possible exception of the final. So let's wait and see.
Is this another of the "Try Line Club Tales" as Mermoz is apparently in the Toulon 23 playing at Saracens kick off @ 15:15, whereas our game is 17:30 KO. Having played, showered etc Mermoz would not make Welford Road either on a Noddy Bike or in Noddy's car, but if you are confident then save him a few prawn french bread batons.
We would not need him registered in this years Euro squad as we are already out!! :smt042
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Has he been named in the RCT 23? All I can see so far is a 28 man squad for Saturday?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Martin Gillingham on Twitter:

Another twist in @MaximeMermoz1 affair: he'll switch to @LeicesterTigers but only for rest of season. Has agreed 3yr deal with @racing92
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

All rather underwhelming really.

Sad that we can't rely on our existing resources but the likes of Toomua and Tuilagi are not easily replaced. If a short term 'cover' contract helps us to finish top 6...or top 4...or as champions (never give up!), then so be it!

Ho hum...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Coops wrote:Martin Gillingham on Twitter:

Another twist in @MaximeMermoz1 affair: he'll switch to @LeicesterTigers but only for rest of season. Has agreed 3yr deal with @racing92
So essentially the "leak" by he management company on Sunday was a way to get a better offer out of the Top14? Racing after a replacement for Goosen I presume.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Exactly what I thought would happen, gazumped. And exactly what a former DOR was mentioning in his last months at WR. Money is no object for some clubs/regions. I also suspect that current financial instability would lead some to steer clear of depreciating salaries or be paid in $ or elsewhere!
Nevertheless, it is not the end of the world - depends on what the club intends to do from May onwards, as there is likely to be a clearout/clearoff whatever transpires.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

jgriffin wrote:Exactly what I thought would happen, gazumped. And exactly what a former DOR was mentioning in his last months at WR. Money is no object for some clubs/regions. I also suspect that current financial instability would lead some to steer clear of depreciating salaries or be paid in $ or elsewhere!
Nevertheless, it is not the end of the world - depends on what the club intends to do from May onwards, as there is likely to be a clearout/clearoff whatever transpires.
If this is what has happened and we have been gazumped, it's annoying because the club can pretty much do nothing about that.

Yet let us sit back and wait for those that tell us it is their fault.