Champions Cup next season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Champions Cup next season?

Post by rdracup »

After Saturdays debacle and despite having some winnable fixtures in AP top 4 maybe a stretch. Next reduced milestone is Top 6 for Europe next season.... But what if we end up 7th. It is very tight in the middle of the table. Assuming a premiership club below us do not win the Challenge Cup (as they get entry to play off for final spot) then 7th gives us a semi (@home) and final for a place in Europe (21 and 28 May or around then).

If this scenario does happen I expect the board to include the semi final at WR in the season ticket. It is the least they could do by way of compensation to loyal fans if this comes to pass. Of course they will probably see an extra fixture at WR as a revenue opportunity.

Unduly pessimistic perhaps, but it shows how far we have fallen as it is a credible scenario.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Champions Cup next season?

Post by ellis9 »

Firstly, I think we will finish in the top 6 so your scenario won't happen.

Secondly, if we did finish 7th and had to play a qualification match, I'd be massively surprised if it was to be included in the season ticket. We as season ticket holders have paid for the the Premiership, 3 European home games and the Anglo-Welsh home games. Obviously Tigers will want the extra revenue! What club wouldn't?! They are a business for heavens sake! On one hand we have people saying the clubs needs more money and now we have people saying Tigers should give freebies!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Zero chance of top 4,we will just scrape top 6 imo with our winnable home games and Worc away but will probably have to win one of Bath,Saints,Quins away too. If we win 7/9 with 4 BP we will sneak 4th but no chance of that so playing for RCC sadly.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

ellis9 wrote:Firstly, I think we will finish in the top 6 so your scenario won't happen.

Secondly, if we did finish 7th and had to play a qualification match, I'd be massively surprised if it was to be included in the season ticket. We as season ticket holders have paid for the the Premiership, 3 European home games and the Anglo-Welsh home games. Obviously Tigers will want the extra revenue! What club wouldn't?! They are a business for heavens sake! On one hand we have people saying the clubs needs more money and now we have people saying Tigers should give freebies!
Business is also about maintaining a good relationship with your customer base and delivering them the service as promised. Perhaps they could reward loyalty by adding the fixture into anyone who has renewed for next season. Sure as loyal fans we will come to all games, pay the asking price and support, but a point would be reached when that loyalty will be tested too far. As an extreme example you would see a drop off in attendance if we were relegated. Seems far fetched but Quins and Saints have the tee-shirt. Similarly would a first time entry to the Parker Pen cup (challenge cup now I think) generate the European interest we have had for the past 20 years. A gesture like this could and perhaps would make business sense in that context.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Thats if we qualify on current form we could be struggling to finish in the top six, so we might have to make do with the challenge cup next season.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Thats if we qualify on current form we could be struggling to finish in the top six, so we might have to make do with the challenge cup next season.
I think that's literally the point of the thread.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Business is also about maintaining a good relationship with your customer base and delivering them the service as promised. Perhaps they could reward loyalty by adding the fixture into anyone who has renewed for next season. Sure as loyal fans we will come to all games, pay the asking price and support, but a point would be reached when that loyalty will be tested too far. As an extreme example you would see a drop off in attendance if we were relegated. Seems far fetched but Quins and Saints have the tee-shirt. Similarly would a first time entry to the Parker Pen cup (challenge cup now I think) generate the European interest we have had for the past 20 years. A gesture like this could and perhaps would make business sense in that context.
By purchasing a season ticket instead of paying for each game individually, I get a reduced price. There's the loyalty. I have been loyal to Tigers by committing to go to every game and in turn They are loyal by giving me a reduced cost. I would also do this if we got relegated. I also see no reason why anyone else would do either? Would you not support Tigers if they were in another league?!

Tigers deliver the service they promised me as my seat is always there for every home game that I have paid for.

I think you're asking a bit too much to be honest and in doing so, actually taking the mick out of a company/business/club.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

That wont happen, we are already paying for our next seasons tickets by standing order, club have kept prices same as this season, that's recognition of loyalty i think, there isn't any hint of an extra game and I don't expect any change to that situation. :smt001
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

ellis9 wrote:

I think you're asking a bit too much to be honest and in doing so, actually taking the mick out of a company/business/club.
All are entitled to a view but to be clear I was not "taking the mick". I guess belittling an opinion is easier than considering it. I guess we can agree to disagree and both hope that 4th place (or even 5-6th) is the regular season outcome then none of this will come to pass.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I did consider your opinion. I then gave my opinion on how I thought your opinion was a terrible idea.
fillfinger

Post by fillfinger »

4th place is not out of reach with 6 home and 3 away fixtures. Big games for me are those in a position around us TIGERS Exeter hm - Northampton and Bath aw. Newcastle, Sale, Worcester hm run in. In contrast SAINTS have Bath, Wasps and Exeter aw and Sarries at hm. BATH may have the easier run in but 5 hm and 4 aw - big games Sarries aw, and Wasps and Tigers hm. Who knows get our act together and injured players back Dom Barrow (big loss IMO), JPP, Veainu - can we do it! :smt037
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

fillfinger wrote:4th place is not out of reach with 6 home and 3 away fixtures. Big games for me are those in a position around us TIGERS Exeter hm - Northampton and Bath aw. Newcastle, Sale, Worcester hm run in. In contrast SAINTS have Bath, Wasps and Exeter aw and Sarries at hm. BATH may have the easier run in but 5 hm and 4 aw - big games Sarries aw, and Wasps and Tigers hm. Who knows get our act together and injured players back Dom Barrow (big loss IMO), JPP, Veainu - can we do it! :smt037
I'm certainly not ruling it out. Neither should any of us.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

fillfinger wrote:4th place is not out of reach with 6 home and 3 away fixtures.
Pardon? The Tigers have 5 home matches (Gloucester, Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle & Sale) and 4 away matches (Quins, Northampton, Bath & Worcester) remaining.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BeeJ wrote:
fillfinger wrote:4th place is not out of reach with 6 home and 3 away fixtures.
Pardon? The Tigers have 5 home matches (Gloucester, Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle & Sale) and 4 away matches (Quins, Northampton, Bath & Worcester) remaining.

The Bath game is more of a neutral venue isn't it though.
5 Home
3 Away
1 Neutral
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

RagingBull wrote: The Bath game is more of a neutral venue isn't it though.
5 Home
3 Away
1 Neutral
The Bath match, whether it's at The Rec or Twickenham, is deemed a home fixture for them.