Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: DOR aspirants, then?

Post by Coops »

sapajo wrote:
strawclearer wrote:Chris Foy on Twitter: In my #WorldofRugby column tomorrow - Johann van Graan in frame for Leicester job, possibly Meyer too (Johnno not interested, sadly!)...

Never heard of Graan, not convinced about Meyer nor surprised about Johnno.
I understood that he was going into Bath as interim to replace Mike Ford back in May. Not sure where or what he is doing now, nor what his credentials are?
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

"In frame for Leicester Job" is a vague description don't you think, leads me to perhaps think he may well be in the frame as the new forwards coach?
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

G.K wrote:
Sorry that is not accurate - Tigers got to two finals under Loffreda.
Good point. I'd blocked out the two finals under Loffreda from my memory as they were horrible.

The point doesn't change much though.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Qbec wrote:"In frame for Leicester Job" is a vague description don't you think, leads me to perhaps think he may well be in the frame as the new forwards coach?
I think/hope that's more likely. Doesn't have the pedigree/gravitas for the DoR role.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Iain wrote:
G.K wrote:
Sorry that is not accurate - Tigers got to two finals under Loffreda.
Good point. I'd blocked out the two finals under Loffreda from my memory as they were horrible.

The point doesn't change much though.
At least he took the Tigers to two finals in his only season. Never given the chance that others have had - stabbed in the back IMO?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Lots of backstabbing at that time apparently, not least from those who considered themselves worthy of such a post. I always remember that under Loffreda Tigers began to have a professional style warm-up, it was the most immediate feature of his brief tenure. However there were multiple reasons he was a wrong choice, they needed a Deano not a mild-mannered gent; Meyer IMO was a subsequent error but then I'm in a 50/50 'minority' there.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

strawclearer wrote:Chris Foy on Twitter: In my #WorldofRugby column tomorrow - Johann van Graan in frame for Leicester job, possibly Meyer too (Johnno not interested, sadly!)...
Seems to be Bath bound according to talking rugby

http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/bath ... /15434.htm
Hehehehehehehehe
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

trendylfj wrote:
Seems to be Bath bound according to talking rugby

http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/bath ... /15434.htm
That's an article from when Mike Ford left Bath - around May time.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote:Lots of backstabbing at that time apparently, not least from those who considered themselves worthy of such a post. I always remember that under Loffreda Tigers began to have a professional style warm-up, it was the most immediate feature of his brief tenure. However there were multiple reasons he was a wrong choice, they needed a Deano not a mild-mannered gent; Meyer IMO was a subsequent error but then I'm in a 50/50 'minority' there.
I seem to recall that we have similar concerns about Meyer and his team selection policies. Count me into the minority.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

loretta wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Lots of backstabbing at that time apparently, not least from those who considered themselves worthy of such a post. I always remember that under Loffreda Tigers began to have a professional style warm-up, it was the most immediate feature of his brief tenure. However there were multiple reasons he was a wrong choice, they needed a Deano not a mild-mannered gent; Meyer IMO was a subsequent error but then I'm in a 50/50 'minority' there.
I seem to recall that we have similar concerns about Meyer and his team selection policies. Count me into the minority.
Add me to the minority.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Smurf had a lot of good things to say about Meyer. It is unfortunate he had to leave for reasons of family illness. I think he would have done well here.
Valhalla I am coming!
Cameronseaton123

Post by Cameronseaton123 »

I have heard that Rohann van Grann the Souh African attack coach is in line to become DOR, saw it in the daily mail, would not be the best appointment imo as he has not done much good to the South African attack this last year.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote:
From what I remember from the time Loffreda upset a lot of the Tigers players. He'd never coached in Europe or a pro club before. I think the senior players told the board he had to go because of the toxic relationship between him and them. The fact he's not had another job of the same standing should tell you quite a bit.

Meyer I liked though his style of rugby isn't the easiest to watch. I think he tends to build his sides slowly and so early doors the rugby is fairly erm stodgy. Things seemed to be improving slowly and then he had the family issues and left. With the Boks he started in a similar fashion and got them to be playing some good rugby before the SA politicians got involved.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Venter had the same approach at Sarries, and look at them now!
Valhalla I am coming!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fleabane wrote:Venter had the same approach at Sarries, and look at them now!
When he arrived, they were average and blew hot and cold. He had a big clearout which required a steady approach to shaping the new style.