Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SirGordonRamsey

Re: Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

“If George is available, he is potentially someone we could look at,” he said. “We haven’t spoken to him but he is a quality player. We want competition for places right across the board. We don’t want Freddie Burns sitting there on the throne thinking he has got it all sewn up. The competition for the No 10 shirt has drawn the best out of both Owen and Freddie over the last couple of years. Whoever does come in will be expected to be challenging for the No 1 spot.”

Maugers words.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... iams-will/
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Why do I have the feeling that the Ford thing looks like a very large banana skin just lying there waiting for Tigers to slip on it? :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Am sure you all have realised its a done deal---Georgie back at Welford Road in July !!!
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Maybe not done deal just at the starting point of talks with bath.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Pretty please can we have Floody back?! :smt049 :smt003
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Qbec wrote:Maybe not done deal just at the starting point of talks with bath.
Only a beginner at employment law, but if George has indeed given 12 months notice of his intent to terminate his employment with them, Baths chances of enforcing any sort of restraint beyond that period would seem to be below negligible. That's even without the constructive dismissal angle wrt his Dad.

All that said though, we need to be careful what we wish for. at the end of the day, we want clubs and players to honour their contracts. Personally I would like to see a standard contract, and where clubs seek to restrain future employment that it is done in a standard way.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Gotta say I love Floody and he was my sons favourite player too. Would be great to have him as a back up for Burns IMO. TBH I like Ford aswell despite his flakeyness.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Have to say, I'm surprised by calls for Flood to return. IIRC he was our club captain at the time he decided money was more important and he opted to Foxtrot over to France. Offer him a return? Sorry, but bridges burned and all that.. :smt018
(I should add I thought he did well for us whilst he was here)
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Another year on his contract but apparently both English and French clubs chasing Finn Russell. If you insist on aN international who will miss a lot of club time I would prefer him to Ford.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Iain wrote:If what I was told is right he's been offered silly money to go to Gloucester. He'd have been insane to turn it down and we'd have been stupid to try and match it.

He'll go with my best wishes.
exactly right - and with mine too...
Less is more....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes Owen goes with our best wishes, but a strange decision to join the perennial under achievers Gloucester, must be money I suppose.

I have mixed views on Flood/Ford, both would be good in different ways. Floody would be an ideal back up to Burns similar to Hodgson with Farrell a season or so back, Flood can also play 12 which is handy.

Ford is a brilliant 10 with I believe a good character, but he's not and never will be a top class place kicker.

Overall I would favour Flood, leaving us with more money for a quality 8 and a centre, they are the positions we need to strengthen asap.
Soggypitch
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Flood would be an excellent choice, and his style suits What AM is trying to achieve.

And Granby, he left after Slancaster told him his chances of playing for England again were nil!
Valhalla I am coming!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Toby and Ant Allen was a really good combination. I think Toby has bulked up somewhat since he left us but always a class act.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

As far as I am aware Bath have already signed up a replacement for Ford & therefore are in sticky position regarding where Ford goes when he does leave so the issue if there ever was one of him coming to Tigers doesn't really exsist anymore cause can/would they really keep him for another 12 months & get nothing when his contract does end.
Or do they sell on a player who no longer wants to stay.
Also regarding any buy out cost I believe should if required should be covered by the player if he really wants to return to Tigers, that in my opinion would show the Tigers supporters his commitment to his return to the club.
If of course that is what he intends.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

fleabane wrote:Flood would be an excellent choice, and his style suits What AM is trying to achieve.

And Granby, he left after Slancaster told him his chances of playing for England again were nil!
Floody has not played a lot of games recently either @ centre or No.10 but if he is out of contract then for the right money would be a great addition to the squad and as a mentor to Oli Bryant and the other young fly half that came on for Burns @ the Liberty v Ospreys Tom Hardwick - but he seems to have vanished of the radar.
He did some good kicks - Whereabouts?