How we qualify for Euro QFs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

How we qualify for Euro QFs

Post by MrPartridge »

Well you've got to start 2017 with a bit of optimism haven't you! Happy to be contradicted but this is the only set of realistic results I can see that get us through our Euro pool:

Table: Glasgow 13, Munster 11, Tigers 8.

7 Jan: Racing beat Munster in the rearranged game and Munster pick up LBP
15 Jan: Tigers buck trend and take 5 point win in Paris, Glasgow beat Munster at home with no BPs
22 Jan: Tigers beat Glasgow at WR (5-0) and Munster get expected 5 points home to Racing

Final table: Tigers 18, Glasgow 17, Munster 17

Tiebreakers for teams on same points are head-to-head results so if Glasgow or Munster get to 18 then we are toast!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: How we qualify for Euro QFs

Post by ellis9 »

I like it! It's nice to see some positivity on here for a change. Be aware though that you are now going to be shot down for even contemplating Tigers qualifying.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote:I like it! It's nice to see some positivity on here for a change. Be aware though that you are now going to be shot down for even contemplating Tigers qualifying.
"Thank you for calling the Paranoia Help-Line. Please wait while your call is being traced....." :smt045
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Come back next year would be a more realistic answer.
We have taken 2 absolute spankings which makes second place in our group unlikely.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

ellis9 wrote:I like it! It's nice to see some positivity on here for a change. Be aware though that you are now going to be shot down for even contemplating Tigers qualifying.
Equally, it would be refreshing to see some realism from you sometimes rather than the ridiculous blind faith that pervades every single post you make.
How are your predictions going for this particular run of games?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

:smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Soggypitch
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Merge with Saffas or Wasps.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Equally, it would be refreshing to see some realism from you sometimes rather than the ridiculous blind faith that pervades every single post you make.
How are your predictions going for this particular run of games?
I always offer realism.

My predictions, even though I think your question was rhetorical as I am sure you know how they are going, are 1 out of three. Your point is?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Alternative way to QF.

Munster win their remaining 3 fixtures, and we win our last 2 with 1 or 2 BPs. Runner up with 17 or 18 points may well make 8th seed.

Not entirely unrealistic.

Obviously the new or acting DoR will ensure we win away QF at Sarries, then win away in France in semi, then triumph in the final.... You heard it here first.
seldomrong

Post by seldomrong »

how we qualify.......we don't - simples
Tigers are in my blood
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

MrPartridge wrote:Well you've got to start 2017 with a bit of optimism haven't you! Happy to be contradicted but this is the only set of realistic results I can see that get us through our Euro pool:

Table: Glasgow 13, Munster 11, Tigers 8.

7 Jan: Racing beat Munster in the rearranged game and Munster pick up LBP
15 Jan: Tigers buck trend and take 5 point win in Paris, Glasgow beat Munster at home with no BPs
22 Jan: Tigers beat Glasgow at WR (5-0) and Munster get expected 5 points home to Racing

Final table: Tigers 18, Glasgow 17, Munster 17

Tiebreakers for teams on same points are head-to-head results so if Glasgow or Munster get to 18 then we are toast!
Well this isn't going to work now. Let's hope Munster beat Glasgow next Sat and if we win last 2 might just scrape through as runner up. No other (realistic) route now. 17/18 points could do it as only 2 runners up do not go through.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Are there not five groups, therefore five group winners and best three runners up will qualify for the quarters?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I would expect that one of Toulouse, Wasps or Connacht will take a runners up spot in Pool 2. Pool 3 is unlikely to have a runners up spot unless Toulon beat Saracens away, in pool 4 there is an outside chance that Castres could reach 17/18 points. Pool 6 is also very tight and could easily see no one reaching 17/18 points.

The fact all the pools are so tight means things are still in our own hands, finish on 17 points and the likelihood is we will qualify. But to do that we need to go to paris and get 5 points, which might be easier seeing as racing now have nothing to play for.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

At this juncture finishing top 4 in the prem should be our top priority not Europe. IMHO its not worth busting the few fit players we have available.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Whilst I understand the thought of the focus on the Prem. Isn't it just as likely the club should/will want to gain some sort of consistency/momentum by sending out the best/same available players as possible in each of the remaining games we have left to play this season.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022