Parling takes head knock v Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Parling takes head knock v Saracens

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wishing him a speedy recovery. This is just another one.
Red card for Barrington for shoulder to head. Barritt very lucky not to get a card for the initial tackle which was high.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Parling takes head knock v Saracens

Post by strawclearer »

If you look at Barritt's initial high tackle and how he hung on to Parling's neck as he went down - can't believe it wasn't a red card or, at least, a yellow. This new law is going to take some getting used to.

Best wishes to GP for a speedy return. Given his history it could be a while.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Tigerbeat wrote:Wishing him a speedy recovery. This is just another one.
Red card for Barrington for shoulder to head. Barritt very lucky not to get a card for the initial tackle which was high.
Why is the ref apologising to Barrington for red carding him?

Barrit should have got yellow too!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tigerbeat wrote:Wishing him a speedy recovery. This is just another one.
Agreed should have been at least a yellow for Barrett, just because worst offence was Barrington first offence shouldn't have been ignored.
Handled brilliantly by the ref and fair play to Barrington for his reaction
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

strawclearer wrote:If you look at Barritt's initial high tackle and how he hung on to Parling's neck as he went down - can't believe it wasn't a red card or, at least, a yellow. This new law is going to take some getting used to.

Best wishes to GP for a speedy return. Given his history it could be a while.
Agree about recovery, stretchered off, poor guy.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

As I understand the laws - which I'm not sure I do! - that should have been 2 reds. Will Barritt be cited as the ref didn't punish him at all?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote:If you look at Barritt's initial high tackle and how he hung on to Parling's neck as he went down - can't believe it wasn't a red card or, at least, a yellow. This new law is going to take some getting used to.
Whilst being interviewed mid-game Alex Sanderson said that he thought Barritt was lucky not to get a card (think they were talking yellow rather than red at this point though)and (paraphrasing) that the Ref (Ian Tempest) showed great common-sense in applying the laws and not showing Barritt a card (red or yellow) as that would have ruined 'the spectacle'......

Here was me thinking the referee was there to apply the laws of the game, not to worry whether the game is spoilt for the spectators. Some spectators would say that failing to apply the laws consistently is ruining the game.

Ref even said along the lines of "Initial contact from yourself was high" to Barritt. At a time when they've been told to clamp down and sanction harder, Barritt gets nothing :smt017

I'd have been more tempted to have given Barritt a red card and Barrington a yellow at best, or both a red card once you've decided that Barrington's 'hit' was worth a red.

I'm not a referee though....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A certain amount of sympathy for the officials who are having to deal with this major shift in emphasis mid way through the season. Exactly the same incident next week and I think it would be 2 reds..
Tempest did ask his colleagues if anyone disagreed with him and none of the 3 others spoke up
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Maybe I saw a different incident, it looked like a definite yellow for Barritt, but Parling was then falling and Barrington moving forward to tackle and there was an accidental collision between Parling's head and Barrington's shoulder. For that he gets a red card!

If you can really now get a red card for an accidental collision, then we really are going to see a crazy amount of 13 v 13 matches moving forwards.

On another matter, we saw Sarries 7 points down with about 9 mins to go and quite rightly they kicked for the corner, got the converted try and drew the game.

We had exactly the same scenario last week and chose to kick the penalty and lost the game. What does that tell us? IMO Sarries have a better captain and Tigers are seriously lacking confidence.
Soggypitch
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

As stated at half time the word accidental no longer exists when adjudicating on high tackles and head collisions
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Regarding Barrington's hit, you have to take into account the effect of Barritt's initial tackle. That isn't necessary when judging Barritt's tackle. He went hard and high (first contact), making contact with the head with his high left arm (sanction). There was no wrap around (no control) - his right arm never made contact with Parling (sanction). He held on to Parling's neck on the way down (sanction). If the citing officer doesn't step in - and he's apparently showing interest - it'll be a travesty. It was 3 yellows = red imho.

Only good news was seeing Parling up and about at the end.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Mark62 wrote:As stated at half time the word accidental no longer exists when adjudicating on high tackles and head collisions
Well I'm afraid that's a farce IMO!!
Soggypitch
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Can only assume as it was a synchronised double tackle, the last defender got the blame.. felt sorry for Barrington.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

In my opinion, both should have been shown red cards. Expect the citing officer to follow this up.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I hope you enjoy watching 7s Tigerbeat.
Soggypitch