Manu out for season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu out for season

Post by Old Hob »

For information and without comment: According to Alex Lowe in the Times Manu has made "five starts this campaign effectively costing the Tigers £90,000 apiece - or £1,257 for each of the 358 minutes that he has been on the field."
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

h's dad wrote:
champanzie wrote:We need to be trying to get rid of him, hes taking a massive chunk of our playing budget. Hes very injury prone.

I would much rather see that money spent on a player like Ben Teo from Worcester.

I feel sorry for Manu but we cant keep paying him £450000+ a year and have him only play a couple of games a season.
Have you got a credible source saying that's what he gets from Tigers' coffers when he is 'on the sick?'
Realistically what international player, in a sport where long term injuries are a knock away, is going to sign a contract that pays SSP when out with an injury incurred playing for the team?

Long term injuries are a part of top level rugby and any club that doesn't pay their players whilst injured will struggle to sign anyone. It could be argued accupying the physio couch is as much a part of the players job as the 80 mins on Saturday afternoon.

Pay per game contracts probably only get taken up by out of contract players struggling to get signed because they are already injured.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote:
h's dad wrote:
champanzie wrote:We need to be trying to get rid of him, hes taking a massive chunk of our playing budget. Hes very injury prone.

I would much rather see that money spent on a player like Ben Teo from Worcester.

I feel sorry for Manu but we cant keep paying him £450000+ a year and have him only play a couple of games a season.
Have you got a credible source saying that's what he gets from Tigers' coffers when he is 'on the sick?'
Realistically what international player, in a sport where long term injuries are a knock away, is going to sign a contract that pays SSP when out with an injury incurred playing for the team?

Long term injuries are a part of top level rugby and any club that doesn't pay their players whilst injured will struggle to sign anyone. It could be argued accupying the physio couch is as much a part of the players job as the 80 mins on Saturday afternoon.

Pay per game contracts probably only get taken up by out of contract players struggling to get signed because they are already injured.
Where on earth have I said, or inferred in any way, that Manu is getting SSP or not being paid or on a strictly pay per game contract? Nowhere, because it would be ridiculous.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Thank you Barmy Bamford for mentioning about Jules and the phone call. You have now effectively wrecked my quiet evening as Mrs G will witter on about Jules returning until she is distracted by the new series of Death In Paradise at 9pm. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Not read all the above but disappointed for Manu. He was just starting to get a run of games. You can't legislate for injuries and hindsight is a wonderful thing? While I applaud backing players we've kept a few on the books that never worked out recently... Camacho most notably, but I'm afraid I'd also out Crofty in that bracket.

Simple question: when does Manu's contract expire? Is it re-negociable?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

MrPartridge wrote:Not read all the above but disappointed for Manu. He was just starting to get a run of games. You can't legislate for injuries and hindsight is a wonderful thing? While I applaud backing players we've kept a few on the books that never worked out recently... Camacho most notably, but I'm afraid I'd also out Crofty in that bracket.

Simple question: What is in Manu's contract that you would like to re-negotiate?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

h's dad wrote:
MrPartridge wrote:Not read all the above but disappointed for Manu. He was just starting to get a run of games. You can't legislate for injuries and hindsight is a wonderful thing? While I applaud backing players we've kept a few on the books that never worked out recently... Camacho most notably, but I'm afraid I'd also out Crofty in that bracket.

Simple question: What is in Manu's contract that you would like to re-negotiate?
When we offered him the contract the chairman said we would be making him one of the richest players in the world. I believe he is also filling one of our star player slots where they are exempt from the salary cap. Now it doesn't matter how good the player, if the playing employee isn't playing for you then you are wasting money and could use the star player exemption on somebody else. I'm not saying it is anybodies fault, but this is a business and our asset Manu Tuilagi for the last two years has been a bad investment. I don't like it but it's true. I don't think we can negotiate with his current contract as nobody would agree to a pay cut. It's Manu's future that has to be negotiated and planned with extreme care.