Supporters Forum Meeting?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Supporters Forum Meeting?

Post by johnthegriff »

Ì am a member of the supporters forum, unfortunately I am having a short break in Cornwall at present so wasunable to attend the meeting.
For the record the forum was set up by David Clayton to replace the Members Association created when the club became a plc. David advertised in the programme and announcements weremade on matchdays he got hundreds of replies and even though he was selective he had so many people covering all types of supporters that two meetings were necessary each time. The numbers dwindled to a more manageable membership of about 30. I was not involved at the beginning as I was upset by the manner in which the Members Association was disbanded, later relented and joined.
The purpose of the Forum is to be a sounding board for things that are in the mind of the Tigers management team and also to raise concerns about issues that trouble ordinary supporters like myself and my family and friends. Much but not all matters discussed are commercially or personally sensitive so are confidential other items are not. I see nothing sinister in a business having some secrets from its customers as long as no lies are involved.
For the record I was upset when I heard the news of Cockers sacking, my opinion was and is that board got it wrong, I have had a telephone conversation with a senior person at Tigers and am possibly more understanding of the reasons behind the decision even if I do not agree.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

G.K wrote:I'm also a member of the secret six, it's so secret I don't who the other five are. :smt004
Seven. It's the 'secret seven' - not six. Peter (the society's leader), Janet (Peter's sister), Jack, Barbara, George, Pam and Colin. The five you're thinking of are famous too...Julian, Dick, Anne and Georgina (George) – and their dog Timmy. :smt003

...and now Mummy says it's bedtime and I've got to go dream about staying on topic!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

As a previous member of the Supporters Forum I would like to support Johnthegriffs post. The original purpose was to have a more direct interaction with supporters to sound out views and opinions on a variety of subjects. In no way was it considered to be representing the views of all supporters only those in attendance who had put themselves forward when volunteers were sought.

I would never be arrogant or misguided enough to believe I could represent any other view other than my own. Read the opinions on this forum....this thread, to see what a ridiculous suggestion that is!

I think David Clayton should be commended for setting this up and trying to get the club and supporters closer together. In my time many things were discussed from, ticket prices, bar service, supporter safety, stewarding, transport etc etc.

I can assure everyone on the forum that at no time did the Supporters Forum recruit a player or coach, select the team or agree wages. :smt003

I do agree that more visibility of agenda and minutes may have been useful but I believe the club wanted to retain the informal feel. I think the format may be different now but if anyone feels strongly about joining the forum and be prepared to give up an evening a month then an email to the club would would be a good place to start.

Oh and by the way the concept of interest free direct debit to pay for your season ticket was first raised by supporters at the forum.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:As a previous member of the Supporters Forum I would like to support Johnthegriffs post. The original purpose was to have a more direct interaction with supporters to sound out views and opinions on a variety of subjects. In no way was it considered to be representing the views of all supporters only those in attendance who had put themselves forward when volunteers were sought.

I would never be arrogant or misguided enough to believe I could represent any other view other than my own. Read the opinions on this forum....this thread, to see what a ridiculous suggestion that is!

I think David Clayton should be commended for setting this up and trying to get the club and supporters closer together. In my time many things were discussed from, ticket prices, bar service, supporter safety, stewarding, transport etc etc.

I can assure everyone on the forum that at no time did the Supporters Forum recruit a player or coach, select the team or agree wages. :smt003

I do agree that more visibility of agenda and minutes may have been useful but I believe the club wanted to retain the informal feel. I think the format may be different now but if anyone feels strongly about joining the forum and be prepared to give up an evening a month then an email to the club would would be a good place to start.

Oh and by the way the concept of interest free direct debit to pay for your season ticket was first raised by supporters at the forum.
I take your point completely except bringing "the club and supporters closer together".
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Its very good to communicate with supporters but why call a meeting and then be sworn to secrecy? Something stinks, supporters want to know what the club have to hide! :smt045
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

strawclearer wrote:
G.K wrote:I'm also a member of the secret six, it's so secret I don't who the other five are. :smt004
Seven. It's the 'secret seven' - not six. Peter (the society's leader), Janet (Peter's sister), Jack, Barbara, George, Pam and Colin. The five you're thinking of are famous too...Julian, Dick, Anne and Georgina (George) – and their dog Timmy. :smt003

...and now Mummy says it's bedtime and I've got to go dream about staying on topic!
Sorry but you are wrong - one of the Seven died. Easy mistake to make due to the secrecy thing but eventually I got a telegram about that, which took me agees to decode by the way. Still didn't know which one it was though.

I'm also now assuming that I've been kicked out as my name is not in the above list, guess I'll get also get a telegram about that shortly? Not really secret anymore is it now you've blown their cover.

You've confused me a bit with the other 5 names though so I'm guessing they are aliases for those still alive and my replacement doesn't yet have an alias?

I'm sure mummy Tigerbeat will be along shortly to get you back on topic.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

LE18 wrote:Its very good to communicate with supporters but why call a meeting and then be sworn to secrecy? Something stinks, supporters want to know what the club have to hide! :smt045
No idea, why don't you contact the club and ask them?
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It may be that SC wanted to give the Forum information in advance of Ben Kay's appearance on Rugby Tonight. The Forum has been a sounding board for the club, and has been consulted, as johnthegriff has indicated, on a number of aspects (ticketing strategy, stand development, and many others), and members have represented the views of the people they sit or stand near, with whom they talk on matchdays.

It acts as a focus group - most customer facing organisations have them. Some of the discussions are confidential because of commercial considerations.

The meeting following Cockerills dismissal was a courtesy to forum members who have freely given their time, and in some instances have travelled considerable distances to meetings, to act as a source of information, suggestions and recommendations, many of which have been accepted by the club.

If you listen to Ben Kay, you will know just about all you can know, without confidences being breached.

This "secrecy" hysteria is just that. Think it through from both sides. No enterprise can tell all its employees and clients everything that goes on. A rugby club is no different.
Valhalla I am coming!