Harry Thacker

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Harry Thacker

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I've heard a rumour that Harry Thacker has signed for Worcester.

Please can someone confirm that this is all nonsense. If we loose HT I think it could be no different to loosing a class player like we did with TTTE
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Thacker

Post by Scott1 »

Yes it's true! Cant blame him after his treatment by RC,just hope it's not too late!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

His treatment by Cockerill?

You mean rightly being behind club captain Tom Youngs in the pecking order?!

If Thacker is impatient and wants to leave then let him. If he goes to Worcester that tells you something doesn't it? A team that can never finish above 11th seem to be the only club interested.
Last edited by ellis9 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote:Yes it's true! Cant blame him after his treatment by RC,just hope it's not too late!
Are you for real, he has a very good amount of 1st team caps for a young front row player of that age!
I heard this rumour a couple of weeks ago.
I would've thought staying at his hometown club and continuing to learn from the front row that performed so well yesterday is the right choice.
I guess some would rather play for anyone than be loyal, work hard on improving and be a team player.
Last edited by BFG on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:I think it could be no different to loosing a class player like we did with TTTE
No, it is significantly different (depending on your point of view regarding Thacker...)

Thacker is 22; Waldrom was 31 when he left ("Why are we signing all these over-the-hill journeymen???")

IMO it would be significantly worse to lose Thacker
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I wonder how Harry T would feel if indeed he was thinking of a move to Worcester if their new DOR turns out to be RC.

My thoughts on this are that maybe the decision to end RC's job as DOR may not only have been on a results basis but also on contract renewal's/ signings etc.

As some will no doubt remember last season there were some chat about players considering a move away before the Aaron Mauger appointment.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Scott1 wrote:Yes it's true!
On what proof do you base this statement?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote:His treatment by Cockerill?

If Thacker is impatient and wants to leave then let him. If he goes to Worcester that tells you something doesn't it? A team that can never finish above 11th seem to be the only club interested.
Its a real shame a wasted talent with us, one of the only really dynamic players we have and he only gets to play 1st team rugby when non one else is available :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps he's realised he was ill advised to convert to hooker! And it may be late to swap.

The lad is an immense talent but for me isn't big enough to play in the front row in the modern game. His style of play suits the modern game ideally but the physique doesn't - at least not at the top level. What are his choices - stay at Tigers where there may be no place for him or move where he may get more game time either at hooker or another position if he converts to back row?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Is it possible for him to find a way to play in the 7's game? He could be brilliant in the 7 a side game.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mol2 wrote:Perhaps he's realised he was ill advised to convert to hooker! And it may be late to swap.

The lad is an immense talent but for me isn't big enough to play in the front row in the modern game. His style of play suits the modern game ideally but the physique doesn't - at least not at the top level. What are his choices - stay at Tigers where there may be no place for him or move where he may get more game time either at hooker or another position if he converts to back row?
Tigers should have taken the step to convert him to a 7 ages ago
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Worcester CEO denying it on Twitter.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:Worcester CEO denying it on Twitter.
Would be a big gamble for Wuss, the props will be having nightmares.
Sunday's match against Sarries highlighted just how important the set piece is, Leicester lost but it was the best performance against Sarries for a while, the dominance from the set piece filtered through into a good physically competitive mentality elsewhere.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Please please stop talking about Harry Thacker as a hooker, as BFG says our scrum stood up to Sarries as we matched them for strength and weight, do you want to see our scrum continually going backwards? So much of Harry's support comes out of sentiment, Harry is flash, he is a good ball player, doubtful in defense but a hooker he is not, not in today's game, please no more sentiment calling for him to play as a hooker!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:His treatment by Cockerill?

Thacker matured quickly as a player and became an asset. There were times when Tom Youngs wasn't available - Thacker could have and should have been selected - but he wasn't. There may have been an explanation for this, but let's be honest, some of RC's selections were quite bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if chicken bones had been involved.

Worcester might be a bottom end AP side, but they can improve and he'll get game time - at least Worcester appear to have have seen his potential (TBC of course). As opposed to staying at Tigers, a team (at the time) with a DoR seemingly intent on securing mid-table for the team, dividing loyalties in the changing room and signing 'marquee' players made from cheese.

Your fawning obsequiousness may convince the more vulnerable members of this forum that RC was the Messiah, but the enlightened saw through him at least 3 years ago and have now had their opinions validated.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.