DOR aspirants, then?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: DOR aspirants, then?

Post by Hot_Charlie »

G.K wrote:Had an email earlier from a friend up t'north that he's heard SLancatser was in the frame. Unfortunately he wasn't winding me up so I'm hoping he's still hungover and confused after New Year!
I was never a huge fan of SL with England, but...

It's not a ridiculous thought. Apart from the minor blip as England coach (where he did OK but undid himself with some selections of key personnel) he has suitable credentials. Go back a few years and he was talked about in the same manner as Rob Baxter, but then joined the RFU and probably was in the right place at the right (or wrong) time for the England job.

What he does bring, which would heap joy amongst some supporters, is he will allow talent to come in and develop - a thing demonstrated amply by the amount of talent that came out of Leeds up until a few years back. After all, EJ's England squad isn't Miles different from the group assembled by SL. Give him a decent set of coaches (possibly as suggested a scrum - Stanko? Ayerza? -and forwards coach) and he could be what is needed.

Whoever it is, we must give them a chance and get fully behind them.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... tor-rugby/

Telegraph saying that Lancaster and Meyer are in the reckoning as replacements.

"The board will also conduct a review of the coaching structure to determine an appropriate way forward."

Ex-England boss Lancaster has hit back from the 2015 World Cup failure by impressing in a senior coach's role at Leinster this term.

The former Leeds coach has already insisted he remains keen on staying in Dublin past the end of the season, when his current contract expires.

Connacht are also seeking a new boss with Pat Lam heading to Bristol in the summer, and Lancaster has previously downplayed speculation linking him to that vacancy in Galway.

Former South Africa boss Meyer has been out of work since relinquishing his Springboks post after the 2015 World Cup, but remains well regarded at Leicester after a short-lived stint in the east midlands in 2008.

Meyer returned to South Africa in December 2008 after less than six months as head coach at Leicester, to help care for his wife's ill parents.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Ok since everyone is bandying around names. Here's my suggestions.

I don't think Tigers need a DOR just now so;

1. I agree with Martin Johnson back with the club in some capacity. Though not DOR or Head Coach yet. Assistant Coach/Forward Coach for now with a long term view, would he take it don't know? That's up to the board.
if not:
2. Here's one no one has mentioned yet but I think could be an inspired choice. Brad Thorn as Assistant Coach & Forward coach. Would almost certainly work well with Mauger knows most of the players who I understand he had a very good relationship with.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Lancaster when we need Jones. I sincerely hope not.
I'm not cynical just experienced
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

If the Board are not going to use the rest of the season as an extended trial for Mauger and the other coaches, then I would have thought Meyer is the obvious choice even if a number of other posters have made clear in recent weeks their lack of enthusiasm for him.
The Club were happy to take him on previously but he left for non-rugby reasons: Club and the man therefore have unfinished business.
And he's available so doesn't have to be 'prised' ( ie £££££££) out of someone else's grasp.

As the Board has made the momentous decision to finish with Cockers, I can't see them being prepared to take a second momentous decision on Lancaster.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Sincerely hope that Lancaster is not in the frame. The issue I had with him at England was he was caught up in the ethos thing where at that level the hard edged "winning" should have been the focus.
He was too often talking about the journey rather than the here and now.
The club have "released" the DoR when the team is 5th in the league, I can't see the powers that be seeing a journey as a solution, they clearly are focused on results or need to be given what they have just done.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If I remember rightly, new ELV rules had just been introduced and his style of play was to reduce the risk by kicking. Since then, coaches have come to terms with the rules and have adopted styles of play suitable to them.
Meyer could be given an opportunity to complete the unfinished business that he could not fulfil for non rugby related matters.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Not Meyer and not Lancaster. Think I'd pretty much give up on Leicester if either came in. :smt009

Meyer attempted to make Tigers a Sarf Arikan franchise and Lancaster is a proven failure at the top level.

I say let's wait and see how it goes with Herr Mauger at the helm, we'll soon find out whether he's part of the problem or part of the solution.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Unless I've missed it (not read it all yet).....I can't believe that Austin Healey hasn't been mentioned as part of a future coaching setup somewhere, I mean, he identifies all of our problems, knows the club, is often touted as being 'the man who would but not whilst Cockers is in charge' so now that obstacle is removed.....why not?

School of Hard Knocks......
G.K wrote:Not Meyer and not Lancaster. Think I'd pretty much give up on Leicester if either came in. :smt009
I think I'm in the same boat.
G.K wrote:I say let's wait and see how it goes with Herr Mauger at the helm, we'll soon find out whether he's part of the problem or part of the solution.
I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a NZ type coach/DoR would appear that has links with Mauger and is willing to help an old mate out short term.......

What price Scott Hansen coming back now as well?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

I sincerely hope that we give Mauger a fair crack at the Head Coach role, without the threat of his job being gone at the end of the season as there is a new DOR and DOR "team" coming in. Last thing Tigers need is yet more instability at the coaching level.

I think as this thread is concluding, there really isn't a Messiah waiting to come and sort things out for us ... and the most qualified/experienced DOR on the market is Cockers :smt002
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

A fair crack at the head coach role? The same job he has had since arriving at the club then?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Ben Ryan anybody?

In all seriousness I'm uninspired by every suggestion so far.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

So the board will also conduct a review of the coaching structure to determine an appropriate way forward. Strange I thought they did this before they appointed Mauger and if not why not? Furthermore, why did the board have the temerity to sack Cockers before completing this review as Bath did last season before firing Mike Ford? Lastly the board should have the knackeroos to conduct a review into their part in this shamblolic debacle!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

If ex national coaches are being touted what about enticing SCW out of punditry? After all an ex Tiger he is and we could do a lot worse.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

If the problem was that Mauger and Cockrill wanted to run the teams in two different ways, adding another actual coach would just do the same wouldn't it?

EggChasers suggested possibly getting an off pitch DOR with an expertise in squad creation, so he would essemble a team and Mauger would run it.

If not Alex Sanderson is apparently looking for a DOR role, he could bring his sarries knowledge to us.
Last edited by SirGordonRamsey on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'