Positive Posts only for The Great Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Positive Posts only for The Great Cockerill

Post by Ian Cant »

What a top bloke. Years ago as a player turned down mega money when Saints' Barwell came sniffing for the whole front row. I was helping Richard lead a kids' coaching session at school and I asked him if he was going: 'NO. There is more to life than money. It is the great spirit at Tigers that means so much to me. ' His coaching on that day was incredible. He has been a brilliant servant of the club: very loyal to a board which in the last few years has done little to support him or to really push the club forward both on and off the field. My wife and I will continue to support the club home and away but hope the Board now take a long hard look at the way the club is run. Well done Richard, a true Tiger and in time those who have called for your dismissal may come to appreciate what you achieved in trying times.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Positive Posts only for The Great Cockerill

Post by ellis9 »

Cockerill- Legend, top guy, brilliant DOR, passionate, experienced, quality!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please respect the title thread. If you disagree, do not post on here. If you have any comments to make please add them to the Departure of Cockerill thread.

Thanks

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

All in all, I think that he did a very good job. These last few years, the club has not been the force that it was, but I don't think that is all down to RC, but as DoR, he has paid the price. We played Perpignan away, in the season Dan Carter was with them. My late wife was disappointed that the players didn't show their appreciation of us travelling fans after the game (we were sitting with no roof over us and it was snowing at one point). She sent an email to the club and in response was given RC's mobile number and told to ring whenever it was convenient. She did, and had a very pleasant conversation with him, with the promise to do his best to get the players out after a game wherever reasonable. A promise that was generally kept. Top bloke and with a record that only Mark McCall (washes mouth out with soap and water) has approached since Deano.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

A top coach and a real Tigers legend.

In a strange way, I think he showed his real quality as a coach and a man when things weren't going so well around him. He's always held things together and kept Tigers in the hunt irrespective of injuries and lack of resources.

I think we'll miss him greatly.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

From Come on you Saints :- "Panto character, but a decent bloke, he was at at a mini rugby festival at Kettering a year ago and spent so much time, chatting to all the kids and adults, no matter what colours you wore

He came over and found my daughter to tell her her that was the best tackle he had seen all day!!! Made her day and she had no idea who he was until I told her LOL

Made me change my opinion of him, went out of his way and over and above what needed doing for the kids "

From Bath Unoffy - "Shame really, whatever you think about his game philosophy the guy is honest and open and very passionate about both Tiggers and the game - best wishes to him and hope he returns somewhere soon as the game needs characters like him "

From Cheifs Unoffy: - "Great coach for Tigers.
Three Prem titles, LV cup winners Heineken cup runners up and not failing to get into top four under his leadership.
Tiger through and through. Big boots to fill."
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Of all my memories of Richard, the one that always makes me smile was in The Bell, Toddington. We had just been beaten by Bath and Steve Lander at Twickenham. We were all a bit down obviously, until the team arrived. We decided to say a little longer ne'er, as the atmosphere changed from a wake, to a party. I was with friends and family, and my daughter and I went to the bar for a round of drinks, As she got there in front of me , Richard also arrived at the bar, and he turned to my daughter and asked what she was having, and she declined saying that we were buying for a group. He smiled and said ' Don't be silly, have what you want, I'm not paying, but Peter Wheeler is' ! He had the biggest smile on his face, something both she and I will always remember.

Richard Cockerill, you will be sadly missed!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

A truly great Tiger nothing can ever take that fact away from him! I will miss Cocker's magnificent positivity,drive, dedication and application to our great club. The same can never be said about those that sealed his fate and they remain wanting.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

So sorry to see Richard go :smt010
A true Tiger throughout, wouldn't be surprised if his heart was red,white and green.
Get rid of the traitors on the Board next.
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Went to a Tigers open training session at Welford Road a couple of years back and watched from the front of the terrace. It was bitterly cold that day.
Cockers saw me rubbing my hands together, came over and asked if I'd like to come and join in!
'That'll warm you up!'
As a little woman, I respectfully declined, but I have often wondered how many other DOR's or coaches have such an easy way with the public.

I will miss that gap-toothed grin and wry smile; and his brutal honesty.
When Mark Durden-Smith was interviewing him after we beat Saints at Twickenham, all the questions were about Hartley's sending off and the controversy behind it. Cockers quickly became irked and asked why he wasn't asking about his team's performance and a fantastic win.
He pointed at the elated Tigers supporters and said:
'Look at them, this is their day. Why don't you talk about that?'
He was for all of the club and I'm glad he was our DOR.
Every success in your next endeavour Richard.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cockerill is Tigers.

It's been a honour to have him as such a huge part of this club.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote:Cockerill is Tigers.

It's been a honour to have him as such a huge part of this club.
Hear hear. He joined as a player, left to go to France (before the big bucks) and came back to coach and then lead the club. He is without doubt one of the finest servants of the club, if not the finest. His passion and no-nonsense ethic summed the club up to a tee. I hope in time that any immediate wounds following his dismissal will heal and we'll see him around and about his home stadium.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Whether he was a DoR and not moving with the times is another matter. To me he epitomises all Tigers history stands for. As a player top class who stood up to the ABs. A great sense of humour. All in all a nice bloke who gave everything to the club.

A sad end(?) to a great career. At least he may be able to go back to antique/furniture restoration or the like if I remember correctlty.

As they say one door closes and another opens.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I don't know how long his Tigers email address will remain active - or whether they'll pass messages on but - I sent an email to RC this morning thanking him for everything and got a very nice response from him.

[email protected]
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Without him there would be no ABC club. Without the ABC club Tigers would be missing a massive part of their DNA.
He will be missed.
You don't get that sort of passion for a club just from a pay check, something I think the club will find out themselves in the coming months.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.