Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Cockers out

Post by Big Dai »

tigercaspian wrote:
Big Dai wrote:Here we go then! The dawn of a new era. Personally I thought more performances like yesterday would have been enough for him to keep his job......but apparently not. Deano revisited?

"The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again, no, no" :smt035 :smt035

Or Big Yellow Taxi for RC ?

And a big yellow taxi
Come and took away our old DoR
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
Preferably a harder edge to my music and my rugby. But, yep see where you're coming from. "Put up a parking lot." Back to the Granby Halls again.

I think we'll miss the man and his loyal, dogged attitude. Now we wait and see. Never a good feeling, change. But it is inevitable.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Reggie
Tiger Cub

Re: Departure of Cockerill

Post by Reggie »

I know a man who knows a man who knows a man... who knows someone close to Tigers, and a certain MJ is being mentioned in chatter.

A possibility?

Discuss.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

chewbacca wrote:I think that the fault does not lay entirely at the door of Cockers but as an honourable man he has accepted and shouldered the responsibility. I have some sympathy with the view that board members should act similarly.
I also have some sympathy with that view.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

MikeGrace wrote:Once again the musings of a committee on the design of a HORSE has come with a CAMEL.
Anyone at Welford Road yesterday could not have failed to notice that the part of the team that is Richard Cockerills' speciality out-gunned the leading premiership team, dominating them completely. The team lost because of poor planning, handling, execution and support of the backs!!
SO TELL ME - Why sack the man who created the pack with very little expense and not the man in charge of the vastly over-expensive and under-achieving backs???
With the game swinging back to the powerful pack (just look at the leading French teams) I'm convinced Richards' removal is a monumental mistake.
I do wish you well for the future Richard and will not be surprised to see you in charge of a leading French team who want to play your style of rugby.
Good post and yesterday reminds me of Nottingham last spring!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Whilst I am sorry to see such a TIGER leave who has the club in his DNA it may well be the right decision but I really cant't comment on any politics. Given the performance against Sarries which was was a decent one and one we could have won barring poor on field decsions the timing of RC's departure could have been better. However when is a good time?

As a club we have under performed for a while so perhaps has been overdue for a while. As for a successor Rob Baxter would get my vote given his achievements at Chiefs with a reduced budget I would guess. However I think he is an honourable bloke and will stay put.

Are we out of the frying pan and in to the fire? I hope not
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Smudge wrote: The only surprise is that it didn't happen five or six years ago.
He has always been out of his depth, promoted too far for his abilities.
Only made DOR in 2010.. Win the league in 2010 , Win the Lv cup in 2012 and win the league again in 2013
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BFG wrote:I am very surprised by this!
Leicester were only one poor pass away from beating Saracens yesterday.
Some words of warning for those who think this is the best thing that could've happened, Richard has gone very easily, the speed of acceptance I'm not surprised by as there is a rotten core in development that has hindered the club to the point where just keeping the club in the top division could prove difficult in the future, Richard was holding it together as best he could given the competition elsewhere!
Finally better the devil you know!
Ask Gloucester about "nearly" winning, they're the experts ! The fact is that we couldn't produce what was required to win this game.
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

MikeGrace wrote:Once again the musings of a committee on the design of a HORSE has come with a CAMEL.
Anyone at Welford Road yesterday could not have failed to notice that the part of the team that is Richard Cockerills' speciality out-gunned the leading premiership team, dominating them completely. The team lost because of poor planning, handling, execution and support of the backs!!
SO TELL ME - Why sack the man who created the pack with very little expense and not the man in charge of the vastly over-expensive and under-achieving backs???
With the game swinging back to the powerful pack (just look at the leading French teams) I'm convinced Richards' removal is a monumental mistake.
I do wish you well for the future Richard and will not be surprised to see you in charge of a leading French team who want to play your style of rugby.
Completely agree, our pack and as you rightly say Cockers speciality had them beat easily yesterday.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote:
BFG wrote:I am very surprised by this!
Leicester were only one poor pass away from beating Saracens yesterday.
Some words of warning for those who think this is the best thing that could've happened, Richard has gone very easily, the speed of acceptance I'm not surprised by as there is a rotten core in development that has hindered the club to the point where just keeping the club in the top division could prove difficult in the future, Richard was holding it together as best he could given the competition elsewhere!
Finally better the devil you know!
Ask Gloucester about "nearly" winning, they're the experts ! The fact is that we couldn't produce what was required to win this game.
Ten of the other eleven Premiership clubs won't produce this season either, and they won't suffer a continuous mass of injuries and will also possess a fairly decent quality of academy production, sack them all.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Smudge wrote:Well no one on this board will be surprised at my reaction to the news.
Can you stop telling us about Moody and plugging his book now.....

Thanks

Though if some rumours are true, and MOC heads back I guess we'll have to re-read the book to ascertain that Mad Dog really wasn't happy with MOC, almost as much as he was upset with Cockers.....apparently.....still, it sells books.

Careful what you wish for.

p.s. for the record, I didn't want to see Moody leave either. Much as I didn't want to see Cockers leave, Cockers doesn't deserve this treatment IMO, but you see it as a good business/club decision.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

With the decline in performance and result over the last few 4 year or so you can certainly understand the decision. I find the timing a little odd, after a decent performance.
He is a club legend and should be treated with respect. Thanks for everything Cockers!
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Best of luck to Cockers, he served us well, nothing to do now but hope for the future.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

This is the wrong decision. Cockers cannot be solely blamed for the results we have seen of late. School boy errors from high quality players have put us where we are and I cannot accept that these errors are down to RC.

We all need to give RC a huge vote of thanks for what he has done for this Great Club of ours.

Just remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... paign=1490

Informed sources on Monday night suggested Cockerill had been ousted after what amounted to a player coup, with senior members of the squad informing the board that it was high time for a change.

There was disharmony between Cockerill and his head coach Aaron Mauger, two very different characters who had apparently long since realised they did not see eye-to-eye.

It is understood that Mauger, an ex-All Black and former Leicester centre, made it known that he was unable to work with Cockerill. One source claimed that after defeat against Wasps at Welford Road in September, Cockerill was in the midst of a post-match rant in the dressing room when Mauger, who favours a more softly-softly approach, asked him to leave.

Among the players, there had been a growing realisation that the status quo could not survive. It is thought that there are many members of the Leicester squad who have been aligned with Cockerill and others more inclined to side with Mauger in what became a clash of cultures.

Any sense that Mauger, who came to the club with a glowing reputation, will simply pick up the baton is apparently wide of the mark. The New Zealander will take over on an interim basis but he may also be on his way out at the end of the season unless there is a remarkable about-turn.

Instead, the initial intention is thought to involve building a new coaching regime around another club stalwart, former Ireland full back Geordan Murphy.

For now, there is also likely to be a potentially damaging recruitment hiatus as prospective signings await clarification about the direction the Tigers are taking.

Leicester’s England scrum-half Ben Youngs paid tribute to the departing coach on Twitter, saying: ‘He gave me my shot and I enjoyed success under him. His commitment and passion for Leicester Tigers was everything that the club’s about.’

It won’t be long before speculation is in full swing, with Stuart Lancaster doubtless among those who will be linked with the Leicester job. Cockerill could swiftly resurface at Worcester, who are seeking a hard-hitting director of rugby.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.