Supporter Behaviour

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Supporter Behaviour

Post by Old Hob »

There has been some comment following the Saints' game about supporters' behaviour and the mods have, correctly, asked that the thread stick to the topic of the game so I thought it may be pertinent and timely to start a thread about behaviour and see where we go.

Alcohol and rugby have always gone together and there have been those who say that the antics of players in the past would have beeen frowned on (or worse) had the perpetrators been soccer players. However, crowd disorder has never, ever been an issue. When I last had info there had been one arrest at Twickenham and that was a squaddie who lamped a matelot after the Army/Navy match in (I think) 2006 (a remarkable statistic on so many levels). What concerns me is the level of nastiness, of unpleasantness, of just bubbling under violence. Is this the result of professionalism attracting a new sort of spectator, of professionalism in some other way, of changes in society or, is it not true and the world is much as it was?

For me, there feels to have been a change and not one I like.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
SIBARITE

Re: The Local Derby v Saints!

Post by SIBARITE »

tigercaspian wrote:Its total tosh to say swearing shows a lack of intelligence. The conclusion that you jump to shows no ability to reason at all. I hope that deleted word wasn't swearing Iain. If it was you'v undermined your curmudgeonly cohorts.
It certainly shows an inability to use language correctly. Swearing is for those moments of frustration when emphasis is needed. Sadly, most of us after a few fruit juices tend to get a bit too fruity and I don't think that's a problem confined to just Saints and Tigers.
It's also why those comedians who have to swear to get a laugh are not funny.[/quote]

They don't have to swear to get a laugh. Its about delivery and timing as well as audience response. The quality of vocal support at rugby games in general is poor. "Tigers, Tigers Tigers. Bristol, bristol, Bristol. Take off your M&S, Next outfits and be inventive. I talked to a Tigers player who was invited to a City game and he was shocked to hear the wit, humour and tolerance of the crowd. Tigers can get 20000 in the ground. Do they all have to be dull anoraks cow towing to the old guard. No they do not. Like it or not the money men want the popularity of the game to grow. If you don't like it head back to your local club which is still run on the lines of a stuffy golf club and be a giant there.[/quote]

Thanks Sibarite. Took it hook, line and sinker. Quite made my evening.
Cheers![/quote]

So, No intelligent answer. Just a shallow bluff. Certainly not bought hook, line or sinker. Answered with a childish response. Join the debate or retire to your local club.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Why does anybody need to swear whilst watching a rugby match? It rather displays a slight lack of intelligence. I take my kids to WR to watch rugby, not to hear the drunk idiot in front and his limited "colourful" (brainless) vocabulary. On the other hand, the families either side of us are capable of making noise and supporting the team without me needing to reply to questions of "what does xxxx mean?".
No swearing does not display a slight lack of intelligence it displays an almost complete lack of it. I am afraid Rugby is going the same way as Wendyball, which is not helped by many professional players being unable to play a game without effing and blinding, as evidenced by the commentators having to repeatedly apologise for it on their behalf. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

G.K wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Why does anybody need to swear whilst watching a rugby match? It rather displays a slight lack of intelligence. I take my kids to WR to watch rugby, not to hear the drunk idiot in front and his limited "colourful" (brainless) vocabulary. On the other hand, the families either side of us are capable of making noise and supporting the team without me needing to reply to questions of "what does xxxx mean?".
No swearing does not display a slight lack of intelligence it displays an almost complete lack of it. I am afraid Rugby is going the same way as Wendyball, which is not helped by many professional players being unable to play a game without effing and blinding, as evidenced by the commentators having to repeatedly apologise for it on their behalf. :smt009
To paraphrase MJ "Rugby player swears, shocker"
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

SIBARITE wrote:
So, No intelligent answer. Just a shallow bluff. Certainly not bought hook, line or sinker. Answered with a childish response. Join the debate or retire to your local club.
What debate? You have provided nothing but boorishness to this forum.

As for Tigerbeat, he is not allowed to express his opinion and then gently push us back onto topic? Oh no, because it disagreed with your immense intellect and its own godly opinion of itself.

Anyway, as I said in my earlier speech. Whatever...
Tigerbeat

Re: Supporter Behaviour

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please refrain from the personal bickering and arguing and discuss the topic, which is supporters bevaiour.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The thing which separates rugby and wendyball is that in the former the supporters shout support for their team with the occasional berating of the ref or an opposing player deem to have committed bad foul play. In wendyball a large part of the 'supporter' following seems to spend most of their time hurling offensive abuse at the opposing supporters with little attention to what is happening on the field of play.

In the main rugby supporters are happy to mix amicably with opposition supporters before, during and after the game and problems are few and far between.Some people do use bad language (often a reflection of where they work and language used on a day to day basis) but whilst not welcomed, particularly when children are in the vicinity, it's not the end of the world as we know it.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

I've only very rarely picked up on bad language at Welford Road, I watch games with my young lad and so far over past 15 month since we've been attending home games pleased with Tiger family behavior.

What does frustrate me are spectators that attend games and spend most of time gas bagging about their personal lives or tv shows rather than react to events unfolding in front of them, I've been subjected to this countless times. Oh and those with bladders the size of an egg cup :smt030 that insist on getting me on my feet a couple of times per half.
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

Post Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2016/17
Does anyone have any thoughts, good or otherwise regarding the deposit system for your beer mugs. I mention it because where we sit in the goldsmiths stand, or whatever they call it now, it would seem that some people think it is acceptable to help themselves to any empties that might be in easy reach. for the second time this season our stack of six empties sat next to my friends ruck sack on his seat tried to vanish while we were saying our goodbye's only this time the culprit was caught red handed as they say. Not as we suspected after the first time a young child collecting what they maybe thought were forgotten mugs but a teenage lad accompanied by a 40 something adult, his father as it turned out which makes it even worse. the lad obviously knew what he was doing only this time wasn't quite quick enough and when apprehended the father started to threaten violence against my friend rather than apologising for the THEFT that his son had just committed. on spotting another of our party's svelte 6'6" frame and coppers feet and hair cut he thought better of it and vanished into the crowd but rest assured my friend your card is marked and if spotted at the next game we will make sure all of your neighbours know to make sure they hang on to their mugs. "watch out there's a thief about" evening all.

I posted the above a while ago in the bar and catering thread but didn't get any sort of feedback. As it is certainly supporter behaviour related I thought I would share it here.