Veainu - any news?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Veainu - any news?

Post by rdracup »

Veainu played for Tonga last weekend at 15, but appears not to be in the 23 for match with Italy. Dropped or rested or injured... Does anyone know the story?
KevinR

Re: Veainu - any news?

Post by KevinR »

He scored a superb try near the beginning of the game against USA, but went off injured at half-time - can't find any more detail.

There's a report in Midi Olympique this morning that his signing is about to be announced by Stade Francais!!!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well I hope this news via Gavin Mortimer on Twitter is not true :smt010

According to @midi_olympique Stade Francais "are on the point of enrolling" the successor to Hugo Bonneval - Leicester's Telusa Veainu

Fact is Telusa signed a contract extension in Jan 2016, cannot believe it was only for 1 season. Otherwise Stade would have to buy him out of his contract clearing the way for more dosh to sign George Ford :smt002
Last edited by sapajo on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Midi tend to be a bit 'speculative' in their reporting. I hope this is the case this time. Do not want to be losing him.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

He came here on a short contract because he was a bit of an unknown quantity. However this was quickly extended when we saw how good he is. How long he signed for is not known to me but I think most of us would hope it was a long extension.

I recall that TV was quoted as saying how well he liked the set up at Tigers and how he hoped to be here for a long time. So unless he has changed his mind or the cash on the table is just too good to turn down I can't see him going.

I cannot imagine that we would want to let him go unless, as is mentioned, on the transfers thread, we are getting someone like Dagg as a replacement. Hopefully this is just paper talk and has no basis in fact. As Iain says there is a speculative element to this paper's reporting.

Maybe our Paris correspondent has some news on the Stade Francais link. Ze Stade Fan if you are looking in can you comment?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Didn't he say he wanted to be at Tigers the rest of his career?

This is IMO either Veainus agent wanting a mid contract pay increase OR more likely Stade ways of trying to get a better deal on the market with another player.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If this happens we better :censored: sign Ben Smith or Dagg dammit.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Whilst I would obviously love to see him stay as he is a very classy player if you were a young single man with a limited career would you really want to spend it in Leicester?

Unfortunately I think this effects us a lot with players..go to London, go to Paris, go to the cote d'azur or to Leicester who actually pay less money than most others probably (not that I know that)....hmmm which would I choose :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Whilst I would obviously love to see him stay as he is a very classy player if you were a young single man with a limited career would you really want to spend it in Leicester?

Unfortunately I think this effects us a lot with players..go to London, go to Paris, go to the cote d'azur or to Leicester who actually pay less money than most others probably (not that I know that)....hmmm which would I choose :smt017

By that logic why would anyone go to anywhere other than London and Paris.

Toomua and JPP had offers from France.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:Whilst I would obviously love to see him stay as he is a very classy player if you were a young single man with a limited career would you really want to spend it in Leicester?

They are not young and single :smt023 Leicester is a family club..
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

If we did only renew for 1 Year someone should be shot !
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Agreed Mike but in the first instance I'm more concerned about whether he'll be fit for Saints or not!
Soggypitch
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

RagingBull wrote:

Because the people at the top of the picking and choosing list have taken the available city light berths?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Telusa just tweeted

Come on boys @LeicesterTigers!! Enjoying Bristol with Mr Genge!! @EllisGenge #stadefrancais??

The question marks say it all! (Hopefully)
Last edited by grobyman on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Think his latest Twitter post says it all.