Calum Clark - Again!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Calum Clark - Again!

Post by ads »

I don't think there is a dozen current players in the premiership that act in the same way as CC.

I remember Lewis Moody having counseling for his anger issues and he seemed to calm down a bit or learn to stop before he went to far.

If CC is truly remorseful, as the RFU statement says he is, maybe he will do the same.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

ourla wrote:
h's dad wrote:
grobyman wrote:The dozen or so other premiership players Siberite refers to don't play for Saints though!! :smt002
Could we have a draft list then, please?
Yes, I'd like to see that list aswell.
Me too, unsupported statement from Siberite to support a proven case
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

Just off the top of my head

Schalk Burgers has been done for gouging a couple of times and a few other misdemeanours

Nick Wood has been done a variety of acts, is he still playing?

Jim Hamilton has had a couple of decent bans

Ashton arguably but he has been unlucky especially with the gouging one

Luamanu at Quine has had a couple of bans and got away with murder with some of his head high swinging arms

Mujati has been banned for assaulting a referee

Sam Tuitupou has been banned for horrific stamping and outrageous tackles

I'm sure if I googled I could find plenty more.

Clark has done one horrific one but if anyone thinks it's not bad at grass roots rugby

Go watch a 2nd team match at Moseley Bedworth kersely Nuneaton etc etc

Even in National League 2-3 you get plenty more knee drops, biting and general dirty play
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Southerntiger wrote:Just off the top of my head

Schalk Burgers has been done for gouging a couple of times and a few other misdemeanours

Luamanu at Quine has had a couple of bans and got away with murder with some of his head high swinging arms

Clark has done one horrific one but if anyone thinks it's not bad at grass roots rugby

Even in National League 2-3 you get plenty more knee drops, biting and general dirty play

Nick Wood retired before the start of the season.............
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

In a physical game like rugby, there will always be confrontation, and sometimes violence, which may lead to retaliation. Unfortunately, Mr Clark's actions fit into another category, that of premeditation. Anyone who saw that violence at Worcester was sickened by his action. It didn't matter if you supported Saints or Tigers, it was the action of a coward.
I cannot believe that he has only been suspended for 3 weeks!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jacko27 wrote:JFK cf Callum Clarke. I think you are missing the point Sybarite. JG's point (if I understand it) is that it's silly to morally justify or condemn actions in the present by randomly picking out actions from the past. My Dad refused to wear a seat belt, my parents' generation automatically lit cigarettes in other people's houses, my inlaws routinely (and non-maliciously) used racist language. What seemed OK then seems wrong now and in rugby terms what might have been acceptable (or even praiseworthy) conduct, say, between front rowers in the Welsh valleys in the 70's would be completely unacceptable now. Why? Partly because of a general cultural change and also because we know far more about the real physical consequences of slapping mud in people's eyes and collapsing scrums.
Quite so - I am not naive enough to think that this level of violence does not occasionally occur at different levels of the game nowadays; it is also likely that it goes unpunished at times. However this is in English rugby's showpiece league, in front of cameras, in 2016: it is not up the Swansea Valley in the early 90s (where I splatted someone's nose in relation for an attempted gouge). Neither is it excused by fatuous comparisons from other incidents in the past. We all know that in many levels of rugby as well, Clark would've been seriously put in his place; nowadays in the AP this has to be done by the proper procedures, unfortunately this did not to take account of previous actions, one of which should've earned the attention of the Old Bill IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

jgriffin wrote:
Jacko27 wrote:JFK cf Callum Clarke. I think you are missing the point Sybarite. JG's point (if I understand it) is that it's silly to morally justify or condemn actions in the present by randomly picking out actions from the past. My Dad refused to wear a seat belt, my parents' generation automatically lit cigarettes in other people's houses, my inlaws routinely (and non-maliciously) used racist language. What seemed OK then seems wrong now and in rugby terms what might have been acceptable (or even praiseworthy) conduct, say, between front rowers in the Welsh valleys in the 70's would be completely unacceptable now. Why? Partly because of a general cultural change and also because we know far more about the real physical consequences of slapping mud in people's eyes and collapsing scrums.
Quite so - I am not naive enough to think that this level of violence does not occasionally occur at different levels of the game nowadays; it is also likely that it goes unpunished at times. However this is in English rugby's showpiece league, in front of cameras, in 2016: it is not up the Swansea Valley in the early 90s (where I splatted someone's nose in relation for an attempted gouge). Neither is it excused by fatuous comparisons from other incidents in the past. We all know that in many levels of rugby as well, Clark would've been seriously put in his place; nowadays in the AP this has to be done by the proper procedures, unfortunately this did not to take account of previous actions, one of which should've earned the attention of the Old Bill IMO.
The "proper procedures" were followed. The fact that you do not agree with the outcome is irrelevant to the governing bodies. I am sure you that your retaliation was wholly justified and I hope was noted by the officials and you were duly punished. I don't know you but are you a renowned hardcase who feels that his actions are always justified?
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Pleased that you made the effort. Sadly the clique have circled their wagons and are not open to fair debate. :smt013

Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sibarite, please stick to discussing the topics rather than throwing put downs on usees. They are entitled to post their opinions as are you.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Regular Posters will already know my views on this person. The man should have been banned for life for deliberately breaking Rob Hawkins elbow in the 2012? Anglo Welsh cup final. He got a paltry 32 week ban, I said at the time that this player would continue to bring disrepute into the game and since that time he has been banned twice for short periods. When will the RFU learn that this type of person does not learn from his mistakes. This type of player should not be playing professional rugby union in this country or in fact anywhere but I acknowledge the fact that the RFU's jurisdiction does not go beyond English borders. In fact if I had been Rob Hawkins Advisor I would have recommended bringing a private case of ABH against Clarke.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

SIBARITE wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
The "proper procedures" were followed. The fact that you do not agree with the outcome is irrelevant to the governing bodies. I am sure you that your retaliation was wholly justified and I hope was noted by the officials and you were duly punished. I don't know you but are you a renowned hardcase who feels that his actions are always justified?
It's not about being some sort of hardcase, we all want to win but it's just a game for goodness sake, inflicting injury on purpose with violence is just wrong.
There was a time when taking a moral stance in the moment was acceptable, also you had to defend yourself sometimes and felt such pain from such cowardly behaviour that it was an automatic reaction to retaliate.
There were idiots then and there still are idiots!
Times have changed and we rely on the governing body to police the sport these days and protect the good from the bad.
As long as CC and his sort are allowed on a rugby pitch then the governing body have failed in their duty to protect the people on it as best they can.
Last edited by BFG on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Schalk Burgers has been done for gouging a couple of times and a few other misdemeanours One instance afaik - deemed not to be deliberate

Nick Wood has been done a variety of acts, is he still playing? One ban for stamping

Jim Hamilton has had a couple of decent bans One ban for punching

Ashton arguably but he has been unlucky especially with the gouging one - we all know about Ashton

Luamanu at Quine has had a couple of bans and got away with murder with some of his head high swinging arms - sure but those are for tackles

Mujati has been banned for assaulting a referee it was a push

As I've highlighted the few examples you've been able to come up with have been somewhat exaggerated and none come close to Clark's breaking he arm of Hawkins, or indeed his head butt as a young man. He was lucky last week that he didn't make a fully connection. So not just one horrific one
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Just for clarification, we're after a list of current PRL players who's acts of thuggery are in the same league as Calum Clark. I don't think anybody, including yourself, considers this list to offer anything approaching that requirement.

I've already said that grassroots rugby isn't always friendly. At least at National League players are generally at a uniform level of competence. At 3rd/4th team/village level you get everything from 17 year old striplings to fat unfit fifty pluses who want to give 20 minutes twice a season to say they still play and now and again they wind up against a hulking thug who doesn't want to play rugby, doesn't even want to fight, just wants to put people in hospital. It seems even worse when this behaviour is encouraged by morons on the sidelines. Not acceptable at any level.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

The full judgement can be found here:

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document ... nglish.pdf

A quick read reveals that:

"The Panel recognises that these (his two previous offences) are offences that should be considered but taken in conjunction with the fact the Player has not received any red cards or been cited since March 2012 and has not ‘totted up’ foul play yellow cards, the Panel do not find him to be an offender of the laws of the game such that an additional period of suspension is warranted.

The Panel found that taking in to account the exceptional off-field mitigation they were prepared to allow full discount."

The bit in bold is my addition.

In effect, his two previous offences have been noted by the Panel but not taken into account when determining the length of this suspension.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

tigercaspian wrote:A number of posters on Saints Unoffy also agree he brings shame on their club.......
Is it the same bunch that are always chanting "Same old Tigers always cheating" I remember being at an A league match at The Gardens (didn't see many of you there) and shouting "Calum Clarke" after each of their chants. No one responded except the old fella sitting next to me who was a Saints fan. At the end of the game he stood up, shook my hand and said he was pleased to meet me. So there's one Saints fan that I know of who will back you up. I am surprised that Manu has never been referred too in this latest rant about violence on the pitch. Is that a blind spot?