Burns
Brady/Tate/Smith
Hehehehehehehehe
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Glasgow

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Have to see if Mike Williams is fit, depends if the withdrawal yesterday for the bang on his recently broken arm during warm up is more than just a precaution.

O'Connor likewise, some saying he was injured, Cockers said he would be fine, could be a chance for Will Evans to shine again.

McCaffrey ankle strain could be worse but may be ok - could see Luke Hamilton brought in as he was yesterday when Williams was withdrawn.

Slater could be in the mix, but don't Glasgow play on an artificial pitch? Ed may avoid that.

Likely to be Tait to start at 12 with Toomua coming off the bench, and Toomua starting against Racing the following week, having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see Toomua start :smt003

If fit you've got to go with JPP over Brady for this one, harsh on Brady as I thought he was excellent yesterday but I'd go with International experience against Glasgow, may need the cool head.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

WhitecapTiger wrote:... harsh on Brady as I thought he was excellent yesterday ...
His diving leaves a bit to be desired. :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BeeJ wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:... harsh on Brady as I thought he was excellent yesterday ...
Not if he gets a couple of practices at Glasgow :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

McCaffrey didn't look good, I can't understand why he didn't go off the first time he went down, there must be a risk that he's made it far worse by playing on.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

According to 'I-like-a-pie' Goodey in an RP article, Tigers will struggle to get out of the pool and will be disadvantaged by the 3G pitch in Scotstoun? I agree with what he has written that the Tigers defence will have to be better than it has been so far this season if they are to progress.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BeeJ wrote:
Yes it was a case of "I'd love to celebrate in style, but there's no way I'm going to risk dropping the ball for my début try!"
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'd like to see Toomua start. Sooner the better. Get him bedded in to the side as an integral part of it as quickly as we can.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I understand it is mainly about concussion protocol whether he plays this week...

We all agree that it will be fantastic to see him in a tigers shirt sooner rather than later
Less is more....
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I wonder if the European brainfarts, which are now an annual Glaswegian tradition, will stop this year.

Glasgow have been hit heavily by injuries at lock and loose forward level and so there must be a real concern for them that they won't get enough possession. Getting Simone Favaro back will be a huge plus for them and for all that people make fun of his relatively fun-sized stature, Tim Swinson returning is a big morale booster.

I have noticed that Glasgow have a tendency to regard the driving maul defence in the same way that Superman regards a kryptonite sandwich and they do have a tendency to start slowly.

On the other hand, if Pyrgos plays then their backline is as good as anything in the Pro12, Hogg and Seymour look absolutely deadly. Can't see us winning this. If Glasgow can do one thing it's counter attack and Tigers' defence is truly diabolical once they lose the ball

And their new artificial pitch really works for them. Tigers stopping Glasgow getting the TBP and getting a LBP in return is realistic.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

We have a chance if the pack really front up, win our set piece, put pressure on their's and above all don't keep losing the ball in possession!

I think Toomua will start, Cockers said last week that he was fitting in seamlessly, complete class and I expect to see an all Aussie centre pairing, very exciting!

Any word on Mike Williams yet?
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Warriors fans worried about our forwards rather than our backs, they could be in for a surprise then :smt004
I can see this being a wet and windy evening with our pack grinding them down and starving them of ball.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:Can't see us winning this.
There's a surprise Roly, or shall we call you Steve :smt003

That said your post actually gave several reasons why this game could go one way or another. I think I made it 3 reasons why Tigers could win and a couple why Glasgow could.

For me it's a bit early in the week to say anyway because it's hard to know with any certainty the starting 15 and bench of each team. Maybe as we got word on injuries during the week...

In Europe everybody knows winning your home games are crucial so from a Tigers perspective I think this is a game to relish. Get some early points, stay with them and they will feel the home game pressure IMO.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It's a tough game, no doubt about it. Anyone expecting a win hasn't been following the plight of Glasgow over the last few years - they're a good team. But then so are we. If we're smart, we could come away with a good result.

Anyone heading there, do try and blend in with local customs. Find yourself a deep fried doner kebab and wash it down with copious amounts of Tennent's and/or Buckfast. Thank me later.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:It's a tough game, no doubt about it. Anyone expecting a win hasn't been following the plight of Glasgow over the last few years - they're a good team. But then so are we. If we're smart, we could come away with a good result.

Anyone heading there, do try and blend in with local customs. Find yourself a deep fried doner kebab and wash it down with copious amounts of Tennent's and/or Buckfast. Thank me later.
I've been watching as much of Glasgow as I can in preparation for this match. I said it before and i'll say it again, if you take Racing out of the equation, Glasgow are the team to cause an upset in this group. In years past, the thought of facing Munster would chill the bravest heart (especially at Thomand), but not now.

I think if JPP is fit and the mystical Toomua gets a start, then Tigers have the tools to do the job relatively comfortably. If neither do, the Glasgow back line will be strolling through the Tigers 'defence' and there wont be much in the way of a counter-offensive threat either. Glasgow backs are on fire.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.