Teams Up v Newcastle (A)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Tigers away to Falcons...

Post by strawclearer »

The sooner we put the Wasps match behind us, the happier I'll be so...

We need more passion and 'enforcement' in the pack (so I'd start with Genge, Barrow and Williams) and a play-maker / 2nd receiver at 12 (Owen Williams for me). I'm assuming Tuilagi and Barrow will be fit but not Veainu...

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Betham
12) Williams
13) Tuilagi
14) Thompstone
15) JPP

16) Ayerza
17) Mcguigan
18) Mulipola
19) Fitzgerald
20) Evans
21) Harrison
22) Smith
23) Hamilton

This has to be a 5-pointer!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers away to Falcons...

Post by baz1664 »

strawclearer wrote:The sooner we put the Wasps match behind us, the happier I'll be so...

We need more passion and 'enforcement' in the pack (so I'd start with Genge, Barrow and Williams) and a play-maker / 2nd receiver at 12 (Owen Williams for me). I'm assuming Tuilagi and Barrow will be fit but not Veainu...

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Betham
12) Williams
13) Tuilagi
14) Thompstone
15) JPP

16) Ayerza
17) Mcguigan
18) Mulipola
19) Fitzgerald
20) Evans
21) Harrison
22) Smith
23) Hamilton

Agree with Williams coming in at centre and JPP at full back, Would also like to see Evans at 7 and drop O'Connor in at 8, the team is crying out for a quality 8 and full back, been obvious for some time, I would just take a win, Bath at home the week after is a massive game!!
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

strawclearer wrote:The sooner we put the Wasps match behind us, the happier I'll be so...

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Betham
12) Williams
13) Tuilagi
14) Thompstone
15) JPP

16) Ayerza
17) Mcguigan
18) Mulipola
19) Fitzgerald
20) Evans
21) Harrison
22) Smith
23) Hamilton

I agree. After the Bath result against the Falcons anything else has to be viewed as failure.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Newcastle on their own patch are a different beast. Kingston Park and the pitch is a difficult place for all teams. At this stage of the season I will take any win over the performance. Ideally would like a big win and outstanding performance but would settle for chipping away with wins and building for the remainder of the season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Play the Academy for all i care just want to see some intensity that last more than 20 minutes if we do that we should win.

Can see some players not playing due to the pitch aswell.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Can see some players not playing due to the pitch aswell.
That was one reason I left Slater out.

But only one.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Harry Thacker seems to have gone from hero to zero. Why isn't he in the squad? Is he injured.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

g wrote:Harry Thacker seems to have gone from hero to zero. Why isn't he in the squad? Is he injured.
He is fit and was in the warm up on Saturday. His problem is he plays two positions, hooker and 7. With the emergence of Evans at 7 Thanker's position will be hooker. But we signed Mcguigan who has been the replacement hooker behind Tom Youngs. So currently he is at third choice at hooker and 7.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Need something different from Newcastle. Therefore:

15. JP Pietersen - Can't see Veaniu being fit, which is a shame, but JP should be given the chance there.
14. Peter Betham - Needs to refind whatever he had last year. And also taught to DIVE ON A BALL ON THE FLOOR!!
13. Matt Smith - Nothing fancy, but at least put effort in on Saturday.
12. Freddie Burns - Only because I think when you play Williams and Burns, Burns performs better at 12, but I would imagine they'd interchange...
11. Adam Thompstone - Good start to the season for Adam. At the minute would get into my first choice XV.
10. Owen Williams - See Burns.
9. Ben Youngs - Maybe not popular, but Harrison was slow on Saturday, admittedly the pack was useless at times, but at least Ben has the pace to do something different.
1. Ellis Genge - Needs to work on Scrummaging, and discipline but needs to start.
2. Tom Youngs - Lost a lot when he went off.
3. Dan Cole - No other tight head in the squad is even close to him at Scrum time.
4. Dom Barrow - Missed his weight and grunt.
5. Graham Kitchener - Better than Fitz on Saturday, and Slates can't play on plastic.
6. Mike Williams - Showed when he came on what we've missed. Much needed weight in the pack.
7. Will Evans - Seen nothing from O'Connor that he should be starting ahead of Evans.
8. Brendan O'Connor - Harsh on Locky, but gives him a chance to show his ability in what should be an easier game...

16. Harry Thacker - May be small, but desperately miss his passion on the pitch. McGuigan may be given a tough ride, and we don't need that, we need the win.
17. Marcos Ayerza
18. Fraser Balmain - if he's fit we need Logo, but as Logo doesn't seem to have been mentioned, Fraser is for me the next best thing (Which isn't much). Bateman doesn't give much else bar scrummaging.
19. Mike Fitzgerald
20. Lachlan McCaffery
21. Sam Harrison - can also cover 10
22. Manu Tuilagi - Wouldn't risk starting him because of his groin, but this game is must win so him on the bench gives us options.
23. George Catchpole - Can play anywhere across the back line.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TTRITH wrote:Bateman doesn't give much else bar scrummaging.
What!? Have you watch him play for Tigers? Probably the most mobile prop around the park (other than a rampaging Genge), it's excellent hands too; just like he had last season at hooker. He was Popping up at first receiver last weekend with a beauty of a pass that set up McCaffrey's (just about supported) break into the Glaws 22.

As for dropping McCaffrey: considering the performance of the first too weekends, it'd be hard to argue dropping one of your standout 2 or 3 performers.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Mercury has tweeted

Leicester Tigers' centre Manu Tuilagi is likely to sit out the @premrugby trip to Newcastle

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote:The Mercury has tweeted

Leicester Tigers' centre Manu Tuilagi is likely to sit out the @premrugby trip to Newcastle

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html
From my original selection, I'd be tempted to keep Smith on the bench; move Betham to 13 (Williams at 12); and put Brady on the wing.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Some of these teams seem more than a little reactionary to me. A second viewing of the Wasps game shows that we weren't actually that bad, just a little aimless at times and a couple of costly mistakes. In fact, on a second viewing Tait and Slater both looked better than they did on the first, and BOC's work really stood out.

I don't think the answer to a misfiring defensive system is turn the team upside down and try another set of new combos. I'd go for:

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Slater
5) Barrow
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) JPP
12) Smith
13) Betham
14) Thompstone
15) Tait

16) Thacker
17) Ayerza
18) Mulipola
19) Kitch
20) Fitzgerald
21) Harrison
22) O Williams
23) Roberts
Never believe generalisations
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

BG01 wrote:Some of these teams seem more than a little reactionary to me. A second viewing of the Wasps game shows that we weren't actually that bad, just a little aimless at times and a couple of costly mistakes. In fact, on a second viewing Tait and Slater both looked better than they did on the first, and BOC's work really stood out.

I don't think the answer to a misfiring defensive system is turn the team upside down and try another set of new combos. I'd go for:

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Slater
5) Barrow
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) JPP
12) Smith
13) Betham
14) Thompstone
15) Tait

16) Thacker
17) Ayerza
18) Mulipola
19) Kitch
20) Fitzgerald
21) Harrison
22) O Williams
23) Roberts
I doubt we will see Slater play on the Falcons plastic pitch.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Yes good point. I wasn't quite sure if he's completely ruled out or just in the 'I'd rather not' bracket. If he's ruled out I'd play Fitz and Barrow with Kitch and Evans on the bench.
Never believe generalisations