Tigers v Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerpete

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by Tigerpete »

chewbacca wrote:Perhaps we are seeing the consequences of our different fiscal model compared with some of our rivals. Rising player wages and fees accompanying the raising of the salary cap and balancing this with development of the ground and former car park must make it difficult for the board. Having said that a continuing failure to win silverware will eventually see a falloff in 20k+ crowds with the consequent reduction in income.
We get the best crowds available to any team in the league. The club has money coming out of it's ears. We are not performing on the pitch even with all of the facilities and advantages we have. Either the board are messing it up or the coach is and it's about time that someone decided to put it right. Wasps and Saracens expect to win something this year. How many tigers fans really feel the same ? Something isn't right.......
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Tigerpete wrote:
chewbacca wrote:Perhaps we are seeing the consequences of our different fiscal model compared with some of our rivals. Rising player wages and fees accompanying the raising of the salary cap and balancing this with development of the ground and former car park must make it difficult for the board. Having said that a continuing failure to win silverware will eventually see a falloff in 20k+ crowds with the consequent reduction in income.
We get the best crowds available to any team in the league. The club has money coming out of it's ears. We are not performing on the pitch even with all of the facilities and advantages we have. Either the board are messing it up or the coach is and it's about time that someone decided to put it right. Wasps and Saracens expect to win something this year. How many tigers fans really feel the same ? Something isn't right.......
100% :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Strikes me that something has not been right for the last 4 seasons or so. Tigers appointed Mauger and Hansen to return us back to silver winning ways. Most supporters accept the fact that this would not happen in the first season given the need to bed in the new system. I eagerly looked forward to this season in the strong belief that we would actually clearly see and reep the benefits of our new signings, coaches and systems. At this juncture I am very worried that we are still clearly struggling with even the basics of our game. We minimally need Toomua and Manu to be operating in consort together ASAP and a very decent No8 to stabilise our shaky ship. The longer we remain without these players I fear that this season we will struggle to achieve a top 4 finish
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
Tigerpete wrote:
100% :smt023
How do you work that out?

(Loss)/profit for the financial year (1,387)

Cash and current debtors 3,331
Current creditors (9,441)

Tigers report and accounts 2015, figure are in thousands of pounds. You're welcome.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think one of our major problems, no pun intended, is our inability to make and take a flat pass, we seem to always give man and ball, resulting in spilt ball, is the pass too slow, is it too long leaving too much space and being intercepted? Last week we had 2 passes intercepted, yesterday too many dropped balls, Cipriani uses the bluff of a flat pass then pulls it back to a runner coming behind, all our flat long flat passes are taken by our players who are barely moving forward.
We did pull a few passes back later in the game but players were not running onto the ball fast enough to create a break and no one was backing up for the next pass. Our basic handling skills are woeful.
JPP seemed to be the only one putting in much effort, he had a decent game and I think he needed to be brought into the centre to give us some go forward.
Looks like a tough season ahead!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

People will stop coming if the silverware stops?! Really?!

I wouldn't. I have always and will always support this club. Will people really be that fickle to stop supporting/coming to matches just because there's no trophies? Wow!

#youcallyourselvessupporters
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote:People will stop coming if the silverware stops?! Really?!

I wouldn't. I have always and will always support this club. Will people really be that fickle to stop supporting/coming to matches just because there's no trophies? Wow!

#youcallyourselvessupporters
Exactly. And alas for some clubs, they do not have a stable financial base but are spending bog money.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean clubs like Tigers will naturally have gotten quite a few glory supporters in it's time due to it's historical success so therefore the statement that some fans will stop coming if you are not winning Silverware does have truth in it.

Although to call them fans would be a stretch i guess.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

The frustrating thing from my point of view is that when everything clicks we are utterly unstoppable. For the short period this week, and the last 30 against Gloucester neither Wasps nor Gloucester could do a thing about us. This proves to me that the players have the ability but there is a mental block stopping them from utilizing it.

One of the shows on Rugby Tonight had the Saracens players talking about how the club has a psychologist that comes in and coaches them as well. The players all said that they thought it was a load of guff at first but they unanimously agreed that it had been a massive help; when was the last time a Sarries player had a brainfart moment?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Are we a good side playing badly?
Or are we a moderate side playing with little pattern or commitment?

We don't seem able to beat the top sides any more and I am not including Wasps in the category of top sides from what I've seen of them.

Why is the England scrum half on the bench?
Where was Manu?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ben Youngs was on the bench because Sam Harrison player the best game of his career the week before so had to start ahead of Youngs. Totally 100% correct decision to start Harrison against Wasps.

Tuilagi was injured.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LittleBigG wrote:The frustrating thing from my point of view is that when everything clicks we are utterly unstoppable. For the short period this week, and the last 30 against Gloucester neither Wasps nor Gloucester could do a thing about us. This proves to me that the players have the ability but there is a mental block stopping them from utilizing it.

One of the shows on Rugby Tonight had the Saracens players talking about how the club has a psychologist that comes in and coaches them as well. The players all said that they thought it was a load of guff at first but they unanimously agreed that it had been a massive help; when was the last time a Sarries player had a brainfart moment?
I genuinely thought that with 10 to go we had them, they were making big errors, falling off tackles and looking tired. It was the failure to complete the penalty lineout at 7 mins that started the rot and a staggering series of brainfarts.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

g wrote:Maybe to many overseas players being employed who don't have the Tigers ethos and are only at the club for the pay check. Maybe it's time to give Harry Thacker and Will Evans a chance again as they will play their hearts out for the shirt. Something I feel the more experienced players are failing to do. To me it seems that there are to many players that are undroppable because of reputation. Now's the time to start playing those guys who will give blood for their mates not those that are here just for the wedge of cash.
Yes, look at Tommy Taylor for Wasps. Just one example.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Having watched a recording of the game now, neither side was quite as bad as I thought on driving home. There were still plenty of mistakes and, just as they exploited ours, we exploited theirs too: they made less of them, hence we lost.
Mat Taits kicking was poor but there was also one stonking tackle on Marty Moore that stopped him just short of our line and he made yards when not kicking. Burns was better than I had thought too although he did leave 7 kickable points out there. Hamilton looked useful too. The poorest thing I saw, which was worse watching the recording, was the missed tackle by Ayerza and I think McCaffery that led to their No.8 scoring. Yellow for Genge was fair enough but just naive more than anything: if he learns from it, fair enough. I am still struggling with Betham's though: if it wasn't that obvious, then get on with it. Don't put us all through interminable unclear replays.
Whilst Launchboat had a good game, I thought Jones or Gopperth should have got MotM. Presumably, Jones lost out because of his disgusting two-tone boots! Gopperth's steal and pin-point kick forward for Wade was class.
It's a long season though and May is a long way off. Exeter, Wasps, Tigers and I'll guess at Barf to contest places 2 to 5. On this afternoons display, Sarries are in a league of their own.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

mol2 wrote:Are we a good side playing badly?
Or are we a moderate side playing with little pattern or commitment?

We don't seem able to beat the top sides any more and I am not including Wasps in the category of top sides from what I've seen of them.

This is the key question. The team that is the most successful ever and is going to continue that run - or - one that's time is over?

Saracens, much as I loathe them, have built and steadied and consolidated and we have bought in new players, most southern hemisphere who are not Tigers born and bred. They may be talented but...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina