grobyman

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by grobyman »

sapajo wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:
sapajo wrote:So good you posted it twice :smt045
Or
1) my iPad is knackered
2) the website is knackered ( keep getting Sotic temporarily unavailable up)
3) this second bottle of Shiraz is off
Agree with No2, I have experienced the same problem. :smt009

Me too, sums the day up!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigercaspian wrote:
baz1664 wrote:Tigers were awful, simple as, this lets hope for next week has been said time after time season after season, we miss Manu, we missed Veainu, Tigers look lost, no game plan, plod on to the ball, we let players like The Tank, Salvi, Ford, 12trees leave the club and they excel elsewhere. It is clear something isn't right in the background, for me Tigers need a clear out from the top to the bottom, owners who give the fans nothing back, rubbish service around the ground, no incentives or benefits and a team management who just don't gel, seems like Cockers pulling one way and Mauger the other, a fresh outlook is required!!!
Moderators, this post is way off topic. Please delete.
That's apart from being sour, wrong, and recycling old tosh about ex players that's been done to death elsewhere
Dullsville. Funny how Chiefs have the same complaint we had about TTTE (I have several Chiefs fans in the family and as mates), 36 is not scintillating these days........
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote:I'll just mention Genge as the archetype of players out there today. Came on, was aggressive, did some good things then commits a stupid, unnecessary, blatant foul under Sir's nose and guarantees that we don't even get the losing bonus point. All his good work undone because he is unable to think clearly under pressure (Thank you Sir Clive).
To be fair, in real time, I'm not sure how much he knew about it. Taking Gaskell out was the symptom of the abysmal 22 drop out and I'd be interested to see a few replays having only seen it in the stadium.

That said, thinking of SCW, we panicked a little earlier going for the corner when Wasps were seemingly gifting us endless 3 pointers. Patience would have been a better virtue there to gradually knock down the lead, rather than attempt driving mauls from fairly average penalty kicks to touch. 5 points down with more than 10 to go doesn't have to be the time for a "Hail Mary".
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

What a tale of woe and depression this thread is. All the usual slings and arrows being thrown - officiating, players we've let go, selection, coaches. 90% of it complete nonsense.

Tom Youngs interview was bang on. Mentally we weren't at the races. That was all.
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

Too many players had off day, Not enough quick ball for backs to work with, too many errors.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ourla wrote:What a tale of woe and depression this thread is. All the usual slings and arrows being thrown - officiating, players we've let go, selection, coaches. 90% of it complete nonsense.

Tom Youngs interview was bang on. Mentally we weren't at the races. That was all.
I think you can be as "At the races" as you like but if you aren't equipped to deal with a threat you will always be on the back foot. Better kicking tactics from re-start and 15, a ball carrying 8 to counter Wasps power and a footballing 12 to counter the Cips / Gopperth axis would have given a better balance to the side. (IMHO) Tactics, selection and attitude all have to be right.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

jgriffin wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:
baz1664 wrote:Tigers were awful, simple as, this lets hope for next week has been said time after time season after season, we miss Manu, we missed Veainu, Tigers look lost, no game plan, plod on to the ball, we let players like The Tank, Salvi, Ford, 12trees leave the club and they excel elsewhere. It is clear something isn't right in the background, for me Tigers need a clear out from the top to the bottom, owners who give the fans nothing back, rubbish service around the ground, no incentives or benefits and a team management who just don't gel, seems like Cockers pulling one way and Mauger the other, a fresh outlook is required!!!
Moderators, this post is way off topic. Please delete.
That's apart from being sour, wrong, and recycling old tosh about ex players that's been done to death elsewhere
Dullsville. Funny how Chiefs have the same complaint we had about TTTE (I have several Chiefs fans in the family and as mates), 36 is not scintillating these days........
Have to say that I find it hard to believe that. Tries scored by TTTE and the position they ended the season in would contradict such foolish criticisms. Cockers and Mauger will no doubt keep the same lineup against Falcons to try and justify their any way the wind blows selection policy. Cockers fanatical passion (and that is all he seems to have) is not enough for the top flight.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Thing is that these are the same points that have been raised repeatedly over recent seasons.

Looking at the game yesterday then the only player we seemed to have with any real class was JPP although I thought Dan Cole who put in a really good shift.

The others didn't seem that interested or fired up, apart from Genge when he came on, but that resulted in that reckless challenge from what was a dull restart.

I'm almost getting the same feeling with Tigers as I did with England until recently, which is that the longer the players are in the Tigers setup the worse they seem to become.

The reality is that the Tigers pack is not was it was in our heyday and can no longer dominate against the better teams. Also without a fully fit Manu then Tiger's offer little threat in attack, especially now Goneva has gone.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't quite agree with not getting the ball quickly enough. We had the ball enough times to have done something with it. Where were the moves and skills that Aaron Mauger was brought in to sort? Are the players not confident enough to try them?

It was a bit like the Racing game last season. Wasps, although they were the better team, were quite ordinary at times but took their chances. When our defence got in their faces, Wasps went backwards.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ourla wrote: Tom Youngs interview was bang on. Mentally we weren't at the races. That was all.
I don't understand this comment, "All"? "Not at the races", sounds a bit Oh well, a bit lacking, a bit this or that, ho hum. It actually meant no proper thinking, off the pace, not fired up, lacks-a-daisical, forced to play by the opposition rather than running your own game plan, failing to spot Wade's defensive weakness and running at him....

All?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

G.K wrote:Thing is that these are the same points that have been raised repeatedly over recent seasons.

Looking at the game yesterday then the only player we seemed to have with any real class was JPP although I thought Dan Cole who put in a really good shift.

The others didn't seem that interested or fired up, apart from Genge when he came on, but that resulted in that reckless challenge from what was a dull restart.

I'm almost getting the same feeling with Tigers as I did with England until recently, which is that the longer the players are in the Tigers setup the worse they seem to become.

The reality is that the Tigers pack is not was it was in our heyday and can no longer dominate against the better teams. Also without a fully fit Manu then Tiger's offer little threat in attack, especially now Goneva has gone.
I agree. Cockers signs players for what they can do and then stifles their development rather than letting it flourish inside the team framework. TTTE and Brookes being prime examples. He seems to have too many personality clashes with players. I'm sure Cockers will tell you that they are all wrong and he is right. I'm with the many players on this one.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Perhaps we are seeing the consequences of our different fiscal model compared with some of our rivals. Rising player wages and fees accompanying the raising of the salary cap and balancing this with development of the ground and former car park must make it difficult for the board. Having said that a continuing failure to win silverware will eventually see a falloff in 20k+ crowds with the consequent reduction in income.
I'm not cynical just experienced
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

So they dammed for a short drop out.... Yet most weeks they dammed for kicking long and allowing the opposition to get posession back
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

dunks43 wrote:So they dammed for a short drop out.... Yet most weeks they dammed for kicking long and allowing the opposition to get posession back
Taking a short drop-out was the only sensible thing to do given the clock - we had to have possession. The error was in not having somebody tall who could jump and catch to challenge for it!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

dunks43 wrote:So they dammed for a short drop out.... Yet most weeks they dammed for kicking long and allowing the opposition to get posession back
There is a big difference between from where you take a restart from (half way line) and a drop-out (22 metre line). Given their respective positions on the pitch, it is demonstrably more risky to do a short drop out from within your own 22 than the half way line :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity