Warren Gatland Lions Coach.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

welshy08

Warren Gatland Lions Coach.

Post by welshy08 »

So....If Wales slaughter England in Cardiff again (in the Six Nations..30-3).. and Gatland again uses this match as a test bed, and then takes the lions share of Welsh players on tour..and then the lions somehow win...(by starting eleven taffs) will you all be as angry and as graceless as last time?

Or will you have all accepted that he is just using tried and tested methods, and (unlike last time) all be extremely grateful and proud, that English players (representing the nation of England) were again able to play some (small, meagre) part in the victory of the Lions and in Lions history?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Warren Gatland Lions Coach.

Post by RagingBull »

welshy08 wrote:So....If Wales slaughter England in Cardiff again (in the Six Nations..30-3).. and Gatland again uses this match as a test bed, and then takes the lions share of Welsh players on tour..and then the lions somehow win...(by starting eleven taffs) will you all be as angry and as graceless as last time?

Or will you have all accepted that he is just using tried and tested methods, and (unlike last time) all be extremely grateful and proud, that English players (representing the nation of England) were again able to play some (small, meagre) part in the victory of the Lions and in Lions history?
Lol Wales have a hell of a lot to do to get to that scoreline again.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Wales had an outstanding crop of players,who we were all lucky enough to witness, other Welsh players benefited from the reflected aura of greatness that these players carried, however that era is passing into memory and the current crop are not a patch on that generation.
England now have a wealth of talent coming through and have a coach who can harness this so, personally, I think the noise from the valley trolls will also pass into memory very soon.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yawn.....Gatland Lions coach? Only Cotter showed any interest, nobody wants a tour from Hell, which the next one clearly is. So no :censored: sherlock, would've never guessed the outcome. The troll returns, just before school starts.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Effectively 4 ifs in the OP. Smacks of scraping the barrel to start an argument to me. Those chips on your shoulders (well you are a well balanced person, one on each shoulder) don't get any smaller.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Looks like Gatland will be announced as Lions coach tomorrow. He has been spotted having his photo taken in the Lions polo shirt.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

That Aussie team was so poor yet he still lost one test to them :smt003
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

I am no defender of Gatland or Wales.

But people predictably knocking Wales and Gatland, frankly ignore (as they do anything good that comes out of Wales) the fact that Wales did brilliantly for two tests in New Zealand.

They crucially dominated the ruck and stopped New Zealand getting quick ball.

Wales (under Gatland)I am afraid, had their tactics absolutely spot on, and did exactly the right thing for two matches, even though the results didn't quite go their way..

They also changed their game plan completely (there was no "Warrenball") and chucked the ball about and ran at New Zealand from everywhere.
This is the only way to win in New Zealand and Wales looked the closest of doing so all year..

Dominate the rucks and set piece and run at them from everywhere.

If they had more strength on the bench, and people who could have carried out this game plan for a further 15 minutes (which the lions would give them) they would have been successful in at least one test.

So again, Gatland is definitely the right guy and th inclusion of lots of welsh players (who are familiar with this gameplan and can pull this game-plan off for 65 minutes ) with the addition of (what would be) a bunch of resentful, hard done by English and Irish oddballs, with everything to prove, and to come on after 65 minutes.. could be a potent mixture.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Given the absurd timetable, I very much doubt there that it will be anything other than a hammering for the Lions. And given what happened to B'OD in 2005, with no repercussions, and the Owen Frank's situation, does anyone honestly believe that the Lions will win? If, so have a bet as I'm damn sure you will get good odds at the bookies.

Rather than load the team with Welsh players, who have never beaten the ABs, and have Gatland as coach (very poor record against all SH teams), why not pick a fair few players from the NH team who have beaten them (even if a while ago), so have the experience and ability to do it? England.

And SL as head coach :smt043
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

welshy08 wrote:I am no defender of Gatland or Wales.

But people predictably knocking Wales and Gatland, frankly ignore (as they do anything good that comes out of Wales) the fact that Wales did brilliantly for two tests in New Zealand.

Wales (under Gatland)I am afraid, had their tactics absolutely spot on, and did exactly the right thing for two matches, even though the results didn't quite go their way..

They also changed their game plan completely (there was no "Warrenball") and chucked the ball about and ran at New Zealand from everywhere.
This reminded me of something. Yes... Gloucester's last two home games against Tigers :smt023
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Terrible Lions coach with no track record of getting the best from the four nations - I am very unhappy with the choice but the no other better candidates. Gatland will show he has learnt nothing if he simply chooses Welsh coaches to pick another Welsh team. However if he selects a coaching team spread across the four nations that picks the best Lions team on merit then he will have moved forward.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

welshy08 wrote:I am no defender of Gatland or Wales.

This is the only way to win in New Zealand and Wales looked the closest of doing so all year..

Dominate the rucks and set piece and run at them from everywhere.

If they had more strength on the bench, and people who could have carried out this game plan for a further 15 minutes (which the lions would give them) they would have been successful in at least one test.

So again, Gatland is definitely the right guy and th inclusion of lots of welsh players (who are familiar with this gameplan and can pull this game-plan off for 65 minutes ) with the addition of (what would be) a bunch of resentful, hard done by English and Irish oddballs, with everything to prove, and to come on after 65 minutes.. could be a potent mixture.
The only good thing to ever come out of Wales is the Severn Crossing.

And its all very well playing for 65 minutes, but the AB always play for 80 you see, that's why Wales have never beaten them.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

welshy08 wrote:So....If Wales slaughter England in Cardiff again (in the Six Nations..30-3).. and Gatland again uses this match as a test bed, and then takes the lions share of Welsh players on tour..and then the lions somehow win...(by starting eleven taffs) will you all be as angry and as graceless as last time?
I cannot see Wales slaughtering England given that Gatland has restricted his management team to only select three players from the outside of Wales, which seriously restricts them to Scarlets, Ospreys, Cardiff Blues and NG Dragons.
There will be some great Welsh playerson the wrong side of Offa's dyke or the Channel. :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37300579