Teams up v Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Gloucester

Post by jgriffin »

To the manner born, wouldn't be surprised if he has a great season at 9/10 to see French clubs calling.....they like 9/10s.
Just have a feeling that some reputations are on the line already.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Excellent result, that can only lead to better consistency in both halves.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If you don't have a bench 10 then it would have been more pragmatic to have Harrison & Kitto on the bench covering 9 & 10.
Playing your back up fly half for most of the game at scum half and moving him to 10 when tired isn't a smart move. Got away with it tonight.

Is Ben Youngs carrying an injury?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

A few things:
1. A very entertaining game- which is what most of you have been asking for, have you not?
2. I think we have the best 2 scrum halves in the league
3. We won
4. We got 5 points
5. We didn't play near our best and still got 5 points away from home
6. We had a plan B
7. Did I mention we got 5 points?
8. Did I mention we won?
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Delighted with that.

Off to the Shed forum for a chuckle.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ellis9 wrote:A few things:
1. A very entertaining game- which is what most of you have been asking for, have you not?
2. I think we have the best 2 scrum halves in the league
3. We won
4. We got 5 points
5. We didn't play near our best and still got 5 points away from home
6. We had a plan B
7. Did I mention we got 5 points?
8. Did I mention we won?
For once I agree with all of the above save No1! No way I would describe the first 50 mins as entertaining! Indeed watching it was more painful than having root canal treatment.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I agree! What's happening?! The first half in my view was poor but what I meant by number 1 was people have asked to be entertained and not bored. Is 69 points not suffice?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ourla wrote:Delighted with that.

A lot of them seem to be suggesting that Mr Barnes is a 'lovechild'! I thought he had an ok game apart from a couple of forward passes..? Maybe they're just a bit upset for some reason!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

strawclearer wrote:
ourla wrote:Delighted with that.

A lot of them seem to be suggesting that Mr Barnes is a 'lovechild'! I thought he had an ok game apart from a couple of forward passes..? Maybe they're just a bit upset for some reason!
To be fair 95% recognised it was their failings that allowed us to do what Tiggers do best.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Got to say, I'm buzzing!
A great game for the neutral
A great advert for rugby
A great result for Tigers
And a great chance to have a dig to my old Glaws mates!!!

Have to say though even at half time and when Glaws scored their try in the first 5 mins of the 2nd half, I still thought we had it in us to get something out of the game.

And was this the game that Sam Harrison really showed us what he can do?
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Our bench strength was absolutely crucial, and a few of those lads put their hands up as starters. Thompstone comes in for me, maybe it was the track but I thought he looked fast as well as hungry, and Tait drops out with Veianu at FB. But Kitch and the front row replacements were also outstanding. For the first time in years we really look to have some first class youngsters ready to make a big impact on the league. And as for Harrison - great to see him getting a bit of the limelight. Exceptionally well deserved.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The morning after the night before.....ok, I wish (with having a new born as it would have been nice to celebrate a win like that.)

Last night seemed to have more completed scrums than normal. Our interesting selection of Bateman at 3 worked (from a scrum point of view) while our replacement front three were excellent. Every time I see Genge I am more and more impressed with his power in the tackle and the carry. It's definitely going to be interesting to see him being brought on, as with Coley/Castro, and then surpass the master (in terms of game time) and reassuring to know that Marcos can have a rest with an excellent replacement.

Our defence early on looked good, up until we started creating our own problems with men (mainly Manu) shooting out of the line and creating dog legs. We can't do that against the traditional top four sides.

Luke Hamilton looked decent, the lineout took on another dimension when Kitch came on as we were prepared to throw someone up to compete. Our rolling maul was excellent and, as Cockers rightly said post match, credit to Blazey for the work he's done with the lineout.

On to next week and an expectant home crowd, I can't wait! (Junior off to the mother in laws for the afternoon!)
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Tigers are not going to win anything until they get a decent defence coach in. If Hansen is supposed to be the defence coach then he is a very poor one. It's the first game of the season and already they have shipped 30 points. This is de ja vu . Tigers were one of the worst teams last season for conceding points and in the first game of this season they have started badly again.

I predicted Tigers will finish 5th this season and I still believe on this showing that is still the case. It seems nothing has been learned and these professional players are unable to do basic rugby skills. It's going to be a long old season if this doesn't get sorted soon.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Unbelievable. Hangover this morning from the OTT celebration!

We can only get better, Manu can get a whole lot better, he really was not at the races last night in any respect.

The one Cockers decision I just did not get was taking off Veainu rather than Tait. Was he injured, or missing too many tackles?

Burns will be better next week, he trys too hard at Glaws and never plays well, although he kicked v well off the tee.

Agree that McCaffrey was MOTM. Harrison not far behind. Bateman was great, god to see few scrums collapsing, once Cilliers is fit we will have 3proper tight heads, so no need to play Balmain who is unfortunately not prem standard.

Can't wait for Wasps, it will be an interesting team selection!
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Surely you're happy at seeing 69 points scores though? I thought a lot of you wanted to see entertaining games. Last nights was entertaining or is it only entertaining if we win 40-0?