Wearing a tigers shirt abroad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Wearing a tigers shirt abroad

Post by mightymouse »

I have been touring New Zealand for the past few weeks (fantastic country ) and of course I have had my tigers shirt on a bit. It attracts a fair bit of conversation, as does the toic of Leicester City!
However the most interesting chat came whist wine tasting at saint Claire near blending in Marlborough. A kiwi in his sixties approached me and was very keen to talk to a tigers fan. His grandfather had played for tigers England and toured NZ with the Anglo Welsh (the forerunner to the lions) the grandfather was Fred Jackson and sure enough I looked him up and all this was true and all he told me and more besides made a very interesting story. I'm on my mobile so I shall let you look the story up, but we'll worth the read....Fred was a colurful character by the sound of it. Gud on ya Bro!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Wearing a tigers shirt abroad

Post by Noddy555 »

I usually go to France & Ireland every year for holiday by car and I always take and wear my Tiger Shirts. They invariably evoke favourable comment and when I wore it in Ireland in 2010 made two good friends of a man and his wife who were Munster Fans and we still write and chat on the phone. Another friend of mine recently went to Japan and lo and behold discovered about 12 Japanese during his trip who were not only rugby fans but Tigers fans to boot.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Wearing a tigers shirt and riding a bicycle round Gainesville and visiting the University of Florida then going to The Swamp ( Home of the Gators - their football team ) got a few conversations started.
Also brings home how big college sport is over there. Stadium holds over 80,000 and tickets are on a rota/ballot as more would go than it holds.
Also on a bicycle in Toulon in a Tigers shirt ( me not the bicycle )
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Over the years I've been stopped for friendly conversations about Tigers whilst wearing my shirt in Vancouver, on an Alaskan Airways flight to Juneau, Nürnberg in Germany, Lexington in Kentucky, and in Hawaii amongst other places! Always a good conversational gambit - mind you wearing a Tigers shirt got me abuse in Glasgow.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

I once had a staring contest with a bloke in a Bath shirt when I was in Cornwall wearing a Tigers top. I think he thought he was being really hard and intimidating until my partner appeared- who was about 3 times his size and he scarpered :smt003
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I have just returned from holiday in France and whilst we were in Cognac wearing my Tigers shirt I met a Large and enthusiastic Maroi who was most happy to meet a Tigers supporter. He was full of questions about Tigers and Aaron Mauger.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

On holiday this year I will be wearing my Green Tigers Polo shirt - ("Disley" manufacture), with the City of Leicester Crest, which I wore to the 2001 European Final. Just a comment on the impressive quality of this shirt really, which has stood the test of time, and 100's of washes.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Standing at the entrance to Bute Park in Cardiff last week got the thumbs up from Gareth Thomas who was strolling past. OK, it's Wales....... :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I'm off to Sri Lanka in September... but not sure many locals there would recognise my shirt!
DigDag

Post by DigDag »

I was in Central Park in New York one afternoon back in 1998 when my mate, a Coventry City fan, spotted a huge bloke in their recent strip (the light blue / dark blue stripey combo they had back then, actually quite a decent shirt). Excited at finding a fellow fan so far from home he eagerly approached the guy to talk all things Sky Blue and ask about the shirt. He got the reply "no idea what you're talking about, I found the shirt in a shop in Queens and liked the colours!" It takes all sorts, I suppose.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I'll be wearing mine in Treviso tomorrow :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Wanted to buy a new classic shirt after the game yesterday, none available. Saw others wanting the same thing and only so-called player quality shirts available.

I thought I'd seen some fans wearing new classic shirts - where did they get them?

Have now had to cancel our trip abroad!!
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Ads677 wrote:Wanted to buy a new classic shirt after the game yesterday, none available. Saw others wanting the same thing and only so-called player quality shirts available.
Now there's a surprise, i.e. the most expensive shirts are available but the cheaper ones aren't.

I ordered a new classic short sleeved shirt very soon after they were being advertised and I was promised it would be shipped on or around 26 Aug. I received an email last week saying there was a 'problem with the batch' and it would be delayed for a while: I cancelled the order.