"Charlton back down after attempting to gag outspoken fan"

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SIBARITE

Re: "Charlton back down after attempting to gag outspoken fa

Post by SIBARITE »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Sibarite. I don't believe that there is a problem with free speech on this forum. I have been active on here for some time now, and I think that that it is run pretty well.
If a topic is in the wrong area, then it is correct to move it.
If a post has gone 'off topic' surely it is right to bring it back into line.
If a poster becomes abusive, or personal, then it is right that this is dealt with.

That is why we have moderators. I believe that other clubs have had issues with personal attacks and abuse, and the answer has not been to moderate, as Tigers do, but to close the forum.
Better to close it than run it as a sham.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Sibarite. I don't believe that there is a problem with free speech on this forum. I have been active on here for some time now, and I think that that it is run pretty well.
If a poster becomes abusive, or personal, then it is right that this is dealt with.

That is why we have moderators. I believe that other clubs have had issues with personal attacks and abuse, and the answer has not been to moderate, as Tigers do, but to close the forum.
Much better to close it than run it so that you can moderate it to excess. There are no personal attacks. If you represent the club then surely you are accountable. If it was to be closed down then poor Boy Dave et al might have to face people to have a discussion. He may then threaten physical violence if you did not agree. He may not win though.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

SIBARITE
The big boy Dave. Is this an acceptable quote on the forum. Keyboard warrior. :smt024
So you want your own way, you whinge about being moderated and then you attempt to question my comment's acceptability at the same time!
Hook, line and sinker! :smt038
I've got all of my own teeth, I'm either well mannered or ready to duck!
Cheery chappy
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sibarite, you may not have seen the personal insults because they have been either edited or removed. Besides reading posts, there are serial users that look for assistance in not being able to log in etch and this assistance is provided.
If you want the forum to be closed, please feel free to contact the club. Moderation is required and keeping everyone happy is difficult.
Note that you joined the forum in March this year and you are most welcome.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

That is why we have moderators. I believe that other clubs have had issues with personal attacks and abuse, and the answer has not been to moderate, as Tigers do, but to close the forum.[/quote
The Boy Dave wrote:
SIBARITE
The big boy Dave. Is this an acceptable quote on the forum. Keyboard warrior. :smt024
So you want your own way, you whinge about being moderated and then you attempt to question my comment's acceptability at the same time!
Hook, line and sinker! :smt038
I've got all of my own teeth, I'm either well mannered or ready to duck!
Inferred violence is not free speech. In fact it is designed to crush it. I suspect your better at the ducking or probably hiding and hurling abuse which is why your one of the loudest voices on this forum. Cans that are empty rattle the loudest. Old Proverb.
I suspect the latter or you are a fast runner
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Sibarite, I am sorry that you feel that way. I do not believe it is a 'Sham', nor do I believe it should be closed.
We all have opinions, and I believe that the majority on this Forum are respectful of those of others. I believe that most enjoy the friendly banter that goes on, and when it goes beyond that, it should be dealt with.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Sibarite, I am sorry that you feel that way. I do not believe it is a 'Sham', nor do I believe it should be closed.
We all have opinions, and I believe that the majority on this Forum are respectful of those of others. I believe that most enjoy the friendly banter that goes on, and when it goes beyond that, it should be dealt with.
My point throughout this has been that criticism of the club is all too often deleted. Are we to presume that the club is perfect? Nothing in life is.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Criticism of the club can be found throughout some of the topics so not sure where you are coming from. The Club has , I know, responded to some users that have posted concerns. Posts are not removed or edited if they fall in line with the rules of the forum. Have just done an audit and cannot find any posts by Sibarite that have been removed by a Moderator.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

SIBARITE
Inferred violence is not free speech. In fact it is designed to crush it. I suspect your better at the ducking or probably hiding and hurling abuse which is why your one of the loudest voices on this forum. Cans that are empty rattle the loudest. Old Proverb.
I suspect the latter or you are a fast runner
Free speech is free speech, I accept the mods independent opinion, something that you continue to question whilst questioning others opinions, you want free speech but on your own terms, that is not free speech!

You suspect wrong anyway, and I don't personally know anyone close enough with a chip on their shoulder big enough that they would seriously give a silly comment like my previous one the time of day!
Purely meant to reel you in and they would give it what it deserves, a cheap laugh!
Cheery chappy
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I have been a STH for a really long time, and if I feel that the my club has done something wrong then I deal with it. I have contacted them about catering, stewarding, sale of alcohol, fans behaviour etc etc. Every one of these have been on specific issues, and in every case I didn't believe the forum was the right vehicle.
I believe the forum is about information exchange, opinions, decent debate and friendly banter, etc. I have arranged to meet a couple of posters in the past for a friendly drink, and they have become friends.
What is your view of what the forum should be?