What a load of ... Exeter Chiefs urged to re-name themselve

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

What a load of ... Exeter Chiefs urged to re-name themselve

Post by DickyP »

I spotted this Exeter Chiefs urged to change 'offensive' name by Native American expertand thought what the :censored: as it seemed too trivial and narrow minded for words - however, am I wrong? I'd be interested to know people's ideas.

I'd suggest as a first response Exeter should say they'll follow the examples of the Washington Redskins,the Cleveland Indians and the Kansas City Chiefs and when they've all changed they'll consider changing too!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: What a load of ... Exeter Chiefs urged to re-name thems

Post by Old Hob »

The campaign against the Washington Redskins has been running a fair while now and seems quite an issue in the States. The question is how would we feel if it were done to us? if people dressed like us? I think the Chiefs thing is more of an homage than an insult but I guess it depends on how the real American natives feel.
This whole cultural appropriation thing seems wildly one sided though. There doesn't seem to be (yet) any calls for hair straightening/ skin lightening products to be withdrawn
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Trouble is you never can tell out of context - in any sane world the Scots would have been upset by Mel Gibson portraying them as blue painted savages in Braveheart but because it was anti-English it was OK!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Ha!Ha! Dicky P I take your point particularly about what's known as the "Wallace" incident being an eighth Scottish on my Great Grandmothers side I never saw the point of their anger against the film, indeed a lot of people will tell you that it increased the SNP vote at subsequent elections.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Will Saracens be similarly affected; few of their players speak Arabic I surmise.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina