Matt Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomau

Post by RagingBull »

BeeJ wrote:Could a moderator please amend the title of this thread and spell Matt Toomua's surname correctly? What sort of a welcome does it extend when people cannot be bothered to spell a new player's name right?
God help him if he reads this forum. :smt003 :smt002
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

BeeJ wrote:Could a moderator please amend the title of this thread and spell Matt Toomua's surname correctly? What sort of a welcome does it extend when people cannot be bothered to spell a new player's name right?
Done

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

The Boy Dave wrote: It was stated that Toomua would be arriving in the summer, which summer is that, English or Australian!
The way I see it the season is tough enough already without creating more problems, then again it may not cause a problem, but the potential is obviously present if you know your rugby and have experience of such situations.
Tigers have put together a very good squad of quality players IMO, that bit extra can often be the spirit within the camp.
I hope it goes well, but have seen it go the other way on many occasions for many reasons, this type of reason being one.
As for the rule, it clearly makes a mockery of it and shows how restricted English players actually are in comparison to the rest of the world, they can't even play within the home nations and aspire to play for England.

I'd add to this all the talk of transition seasons over the past couple of years and the importance of familiarity between players on and off the pitch, and yet they are bringing in a highly paid player mid-season, where is the logic!
IMO it'll require perfect handling and some luck to be a success this season due to the competitiveness in the Premiership.
No doubting Toomua's quality but a player can't just walk in mid-season and know everything, it'll take time and mistakes will be made, a bit of luck obviously would help but it'll affect training sessions and matches, how things go from there on in is unknown.
So we shouldn't sign any current southern hemisphere international?
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Matt Toomua

Post by darganj »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote: It was stated that Toomua would be arriving in the summer, which summer is that, English or Australian!
The way I see it the season is tough enough already without creating more problems, then again it may not cause a problem, but the potential is obviously present if you know your rugby and have experience of such situations.
Tigers have put together a very good squad of quality players IMO, that bit extra can often be the spirit within the camp.
I hope it goes well, but have seen it go the other way on many occasions for many reasons, this type of reason being one.
As for the rule, it clearly makes a mockery of it and shows how restricted English players actually are in comparison to the rest of the world, they can't even play within the home nations and aspire to play for England.

I'd add to this all the talk of transition seasons over the past couple of years and the importance of familiarity between players on and off the pitch, and yet they are bringing in a highly paid player mid-season, where is the logic!
IMO it'll require perfect handling and some luck to be a success this season due to the competitiveness in the Premiership.
No doubting Toomua's quality but a player can't just walk in mid-season and know everything, it'll take time and mistakes will be made, a bit of luck obviously would help but it'll affect training sessions and matches, how things go from there on in is unknown.
It is a tough one to resolve as he is obviously a quality player but he is going to turn up knackered, half broken in a foreign country where Leicester's season is just starting to ramp up.

I really hope they give him a few weeks of a proper break to recover as eventhough B'OC's workload was managed, he still played in games way too early. If he had been given a few weeks completely off, could well have reduced the risk of all the injuries.

IMO the cut under regular international are the best players from Southern Hemipshere to recruit but we have to buy them out of NPC commitments i.e. the Damian Mackenzies and Elliot Dixons
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Cardiff Tig wrote:

I wouldn't sign one to arrive late, for me it'd be arrive in pre-season or I'd look elsewhere.
Whoever plays at centre before Toomua arrives will be wondering where he will play the remainder of the season after Toomua arrives and where he might be playing next season.
I think it takes real commitment and physical sacrifices week in and week out to win the Premiership these days as it's so competitive.
I don't think you get that commitment required without the required balance of loyalty and the familiarity required to be organised enough, opposition are good enough to expose any mistakes these days, games are tight and bonus points matter etc, it's very close.
I'd add that I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG and it could be a great move and work out perfectly, it's unknown, but the odds are stacked against IMO just based on how competitive the league is.
Just my opinion, doesn't mean I am right, but if I had to bet on it I'd bet that it won't go perfectly smoothly!
Cheery chappy
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't really care how he spells his name I just want him to do two things score lots of tries and stop the opposition from scoring.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

darganj wrote:
Cardiff Tig wrote:

It is a tough one to resolve as he is obviously a quality player but he is going to turn up knackered, half broken in a foreign country where Leicester's season is just starting to ramp up.

I really hope they give him a few weeks of a proper break to recover as eventhough B'OC's workload was managed, he still played in games way too early. If he had been given a few weeks completely off, could well have reduced the risk of all the injuries.

IMO the cut under regular international are the best players from Southern Hemipshere to recruit but we have to buy them out of NPC commitments i.e. the Damian Mackenzies and Elliot Dixons
surprised McKenzie didn't make the cut, but really happy for Dixon.

Squire and Dixon both look class all blacks have some great 8's ATM.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I hope this doesn't apply to Matt -

"Agents have been selling off players and promising them to clubs overseas," Cheika said.
"I spoke to the Toulon owner, he didn't know Liam Gill was in a contract till the 31st of December.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

He also said:
"The players are being put in really difficult situations. In these instances this year with these players, I really didn't want to let them go, but these players have been put in the middle of difficult situations by their agents by promising overseas clubs certain things that they're not certain they can deliver."
Hehehehehehehehe
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

No real surprise, but Matt Toomua has been selected for the Wallabies squad for the 2016 Rugby Championship and Bledisloe Cup. The first Test match in the Rugby Championship is on Saturday 20 August and runs through to Saturday 8 October.

The All Blacks and Wallabies play an extra Bledisloe Cup match in Auckland on Saturday 22 October...after which, I am sure we will see Matt arrive?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Brianf wrote:No real surprise, but Matt Toomua has been selected for the Wallabies squad for the 2016 Rugby Championship and Bledisloe Cup. The first Test match in the Rugby Championship is on Saturday 20 August and runs through to Saturday 8 October.

The All Blacks and Wallabies play an extra Bledisloe Cup match in Auckland on Saturday 22 October...after which, I am sure we will see Matt arrive?
Indeed, but no doubt he will minimally need a rest and fingers crossed that he does not get crocked, in which case all bets are off. I'm afraid our strength in the centres has been dire over the last couple of seasons and I just hope it does not continue!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm not sure how much Toomua will actually play especially if AUS don't get many injuries, Giteau must surely be first choice 12 as well as competing with Kerevi and Kuridrani in the squad, Rob Horne & Folau are also capable of playing in center
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

kpj tiger wrote:I'm not sure how much Toomua will actually play especially if AUS don't get many injuries, Giteau must surely be first choice 12 as well as competing with Kerevi and Kuridrani in the squad, Rob Horne & Folau are also capable of playing in center
Giteau off today against ABs with what looked like a bad ankle injury.

Toomua on to replace him, Toomua was then replaced himself following what looked like a stinger in a tackle (Oz commentators referring to it as a 'Burner' - is it the same?) , had Concussion assessment and didn't come back on.

Rob Horne (I think) replaced Toomua and went off shortly afterwards himself with an arm/wrist injury.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
kpj tiger wrote:I'm not sure how much Toomua will actually play especially if AUS don't get many injuries, Giteau must surely be first choice 12 as well as competing with Kerevi and Kuridrani in the squad, Rob Horne & Folau are also capable of playing in center

Toomua on to replace him, Toomua was then replaced himself following what looked like a stinger in a tackle (Oz commentators referring to it as a 'Burner' - is it the same?) , had Concussion assessment and didn't come back on.

Rob Horne (I think) replaced Toomua and went off shortly afterwards himself with an arm/wrist injury.
Matt Toomua was one of four players who shaved their heads in support of Christian Lealiifano's leukemia, see http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4302 ... ?width=700

Matt suffered concussion in the match and will miss the Wellington test and follow a monitored return to the game according to ozrugby.

However Matt Giteau's career may be over due to a severe ankle injury -
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/08/21 ... ury-update
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote:

So - not a good day for the Southern Hemisphere. Mr Giteau with a bad ankle injury; Mr Toomua with concussion; and Mrs Toomua (Ellyse Perry, 64no) scoring more than half of Loughborough Lightning's runs against Western Storm in the Kia Super League semi-final but still ending up on the losing side!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives