Brexit fallout for rugby

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Brexit fallout for rugby

Post by jgriffin »

"Currently, the ‘foreign player’ rule does not apply to those from other EU countries or nations like South Africa, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, who have an association agreement with the EU that allows their citizens the same freedom of work and movement as those who are from the member states. The current rule in the Premiership is that a club may have no more than two foreign players in a match day 23: if the EU exit negotiations mean that the current freedom of movement lapses, European and Kolpak players will be included in that tally and will only be granted a work permit if they have played in a Test match in the previous 15 months.

One option would be to increase the quota of foreign players to five or six, but clubs would not be able to sign up emerging players from outside the British Isles while there would also be implications for players wanting to join French or Italian clubs".
The RFU is waiting to see what the timetable and conditions are in the Brexit negotiations so it may take a season to have a clearer view.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Brexit fallout for rugby

Post by Noddy555 »

Who knows it hasn't happened yet and god willing the powers that be will ignore the vote and refuse to leave which if we did would be an economic catastrophe, as it's already started with a plunge in the value of the pound and a stock market collapse. When will these people who trumpet on (apt word) about Great Britain realise that the words great and Britain have been redundant since 1945 and probably even before then, and if anyone accuses me of being a little Englander then they will find out what it's like to be a little Englander when Scotland leaves the union as it surely will. God! What a prospect! Fat Boris as prime minister and daft Donald in the white house?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Short term pain for long term gain. If the powers that be ignore the will of the people there will be trouble. The only way we will remain is if the unelected leaders of the E.U pull their fingers out and offer a renegotiation that will enable a new referendum.
Scotland by themselves will be as successful as their rugby and football teams.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

johnthegriff wrote:Short term pain for long term gain.
IMHO the pain will be long term, however only time will tell.
johnthegriff wrote:If the powers that be ignore the will of the people there will be trouble.
Agreed. However it is only the will of some of the people, but at over 50% (just) of those who voted, the result goes with the majority.

Although it is largely irrelevant to me, I will be interested to see how the EU react to this in terms of their own organisation and policies. It reminds me of a couple of work situations I have been in where there was an organisational problem which the staff kept complaining about to the management, but which the management did nothing about. Then someone left, citing the problem that had been ignored. Usually management took heed. Will the Eurocrats take heed or will they try to brush it under the carpet? If the latter then we are almost certainly better out.

I know, I know. This is not rugby/Tigers related and should probably be on the chit-chat forum.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was a campaigner on one of the two sides, but let's not make this a thread about the rights or wrongs of what the country decided. You can do that everywhere else on the internet.

As for how it will affect overseas players in the Premiership we simply don't know. It could be small technical changes, it could be nothing, it could be a complete hard reset on the rules for overseas players. We don't know because there's been no indication has been made about the nature of negotiations, whether we're going to negotiate continued use to the single market or not.

Time will tell.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Interestingly, Digby-Jones was on the BBC this morning, and he talked a lot of sense.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Interestingly, Digby-Jones was on the BBC this morning, and he talked a lot of sense.
I saw it. Those who favoured leaving might say so. Those who favoured Remain may feel different. I genuinely suggest we park any talk of the rights or wrongs of Brexit. Nobody would thank us for it.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Iain wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:Interestingly, Digby-Jones was on the BBC this morning, and he talked a lot of sense.
I saw it. Those who favoured leaving might say so. Those who favoured Remain may feel different. I genuinely suggest we park any talk of the rights or wrongs of Brexit. Nobody would thank us for it.
Unfortunately it is not available on BBC iplayer , but of course it will be sensible as Digby, Lord Jones of Birmingham Kt. is a Tigers Director.
Now if Britain adopts the Australian rules of immigration does this mean free passage for the rest of the Australian team?? Not so sure after today but where the heck did I put mi boomerang & coat?? :smt039
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:Who knows it hasn't happened yet and god willing the powers that be will ignore the vote and refuse to leave which if we did would be an economic catastrophe, as it's already started with a plunge in the value of the pound and a stock market collapse. When will these people who trumpet on (apt word) about Great Britain realise that the words great and Britain have been redundant since 1945 and probably even before then, and if anyone accuses me of being a little Englander then they will find out what it's like to be a little Englander when Scotland leaves the union as it surely will. God! What a prospect! Fat Boris as prime minister and daft Donald in the white house?
You obviously have strong (and to my opinion misguided and mendaciously misrepresentative) views, BUT whilst I would be happy to argue the matter at length in a separate forum, the thread should stick to its impact on player availability.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This topic will be moved to Chit Chat if it is not kept to being rugby related - how leaving the EU will affect the game / clubs in the UK.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

johnthegriff wrote: Scotland by themselves will be as successful as their rugby and football teams.
Didn't Ally's Army win the World Cup in 1978 then? I thought I recalled a victory parade at Hampden.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tigerbeat wrote:This topic will be moved to Chit Chat if it is not kept to being rugby related - how leaving the EU will affect the game / clubs in the UK.
Boris Johnson was quite a good rugby player whilst at Eton apparently.

Do I win £5?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Dickyp if you want to see someone with misguided views regarding Brexit then I suggest you look in your mirror, I feel totally disgusted with my generation as I approach my 70th Birthday next January. We always were misguidedly the me generation and sod anyone else in the 1960's and we are still that today. But one thing I promise you dicky if Scotland leaves the union and stays within the EU then I'm off to live in Scotland. I know it will be a long commute to Welford road every 2 weeks but several of my friends make even longer journeys than that.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Trying to get back on track, I am also wondering what the impact on investors/bond holders will be, and the future market projections post-Brexit. Will some investors bail out?
Both sides predicted income losses from Brexit (multimillionaire Arron Banks said it was a necessary sacrifice :smt005 ) so how might that impact on the AP? These are the kind of questions I hoped we would contemplate instead of slipping into Brexit arguments.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well Sarries might not mind too much if the Rand improves against a devalued Sterling.

Also, 'Hoover Boy' at Bath was a vocal brexit supporter. He'll soon be able to sell his gear without conforming to those pesky euro plugs and instructions written in euro lingos...well, maybe??