Coventry - "City of Rugby ??"

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coventry - "City of Rugby ??"

Post by wormus »

Just seen this poster for "free" photo opportunities with the 6N cup in Coventry, but they are calling themselves "The City of Rugby" well Rugby is the "Home of the Game" but Leicester is the city with the most successful and longest established club local to Rugby. Sorry cannot paste the poster.
Soon London Wasps will be calling themselves Coventry Wasps.
- Friday 3rd June 2pm to 5pm Lower Precinct City Centre.

Are Tigers doing the same ??? Or are Wasps taking over the Midlands catchment areas. :smt027
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Coventry - "City of Rugby ??"

Post by Noddy555 »

I think several sky blue football fans will dispute that. Coventry has always been a town where field sports did not play as big a part in the city's life as motorsport particularly motorbikes. However of the two sports Football and Rugby, football has always had the most following.
I remember going to watch a Coventry v Leicester Tigers game there in the late seventies and in the crowd of around 6,000 well over 4,000 were Tigers fans, whilst at the same time the Football team was attracting between 16 and 25,000 for each home match. So the statement that Coventry is a rugby town is a nono even given Wasps recent relocation.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Good luck to them, they can claim what they want, it doesn't make it true.

Whatever a "City of rugby" is/means...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If/when Wasps issue starts being traded/bought out we may see the balloon burst rather quickly. Too many clubs look likely to be owned offshore in the future (as Quins and Saffacens currently are).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Liverpool has been called the city of culture......... Does anymore need to be said.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Mr Bean wrote:Liverpool has been called the city of culture......... Does anymore need to be said.
Yes.... Hull is next year's.

Meh, its called artistic licence people, not really worth getting upset about.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

"Coventry - "City of Rugby ??" would have been true 42 or 43 years ago when Coventry reigned supreme! I was at Twickenham when the 'real' Coventry beat Bristol 27-15 (4T 1C 1D 2P to 5P) with such names at Duckham, Pullin, Rollit, Fairbrother, Preece and Rossborough on the pitch. Pre substitutes so when Pullin was injured only a few minutes into the game Bristol then played with 14 men. Coventry won the next year too.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

DickyP wrote:"Coventry - "City of Rugby ??" would have been true 42 or 43 years ago when Coventry reigned supreme! I was at Twickenham when the 'real' Coventry beat Bristol 27-15 (4T 1C 1D 2P to 5P) with such names at Duckham, Pullin, Rollit, Fairbrother, Preece and Rossborough on the pitch. Pre substitutes so when Pullin was injured only a few minutes into the game Bristol then played with 14 men. Coventry won the next year too.
You'll be telling us you remember when Moseley were a good team next.....

:smt002
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I am old enough to remember all of those names from my teens - not sure whether I am sad or pleased about that !!

Only one thing on the scoring ? Shouldn't that read (at that time)3 tries, one goal, one drop goal two penalties to three penalties ? Sure I seem to remember a converted try was called a goal then ??

Stand to be corrected...........Nurse, medication please....!