Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: European Final

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:Let me clarify 3 things.

Firstly, I couldn't care less how we play if we win.

Secondly, when I said Sarries were boring, I was basing it on many fans on here moaning at how we played last season- lets face it, there were no out of your seat moments on Saturday.

Finally, this point is for Roly- I am not jealous of Sarries. If I was, I'd admit I was, there's no harm in admitting if that's how you feel. I get the impression that maybe you are?
Jealous, absolutely. I'd be ecstatic if Tigers could emulate Saracens this season. You'd have to be pretty dull to not want to be in their position.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:Secondly, when I said Sarries were boring, I was basing it on many fans on here moaning at how we played last season- lets face it, there were no out of your seat moments on Saturday.
I know where you are coming from but a) I'm not sure we were doing it by choice (it was all we had to offer) and b) ultimately it was with limited success.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not jealous of Saracens but obviously I wish we were European Champions. There's a difference between being jealous and wishing it was us who were Champions.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ellis9 wrote:I'm not jealous of Saracens but obviously I wish we were European Champions. There's a difference between being jealous and wishing it was us who were Champions.
Not jealous of Sarries in the sense that I could never support them, but yes jealous of their success, consistent level of performance and their amazing accuracy.

I am hoping we will improve markedly next season in our consistency, if so we will have the quality to push Sarries hard in the league.
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

You don't have to be a Sarries fan to admire their level of performance and how well they are drilled.

Their backs will never set the world alight but they don't need to when you have a pack with the ability of the Vunipolas, Kruis and Otoje. At hooker they have 2 differing options - the power of George and the running game of Britts.

I'm not sure too many of their backs would oust their opposite number from the Tigers line which hopefully be in our favour if we secure enough ball.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Just out of interest, were you one of the many people who wanted to see us play more exciting rugby or not?

It seems many are now applauding how Sarries play, so why did people want us to play a completely different style to Sarries?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote: Depends what you call massive...Cashton was on £300k when Strettle was there on £250k; what will the Vunipolas, Fazlet, Goode be on as current internationals of over a year's standing (the former two bought as internationals)? Kruis and Itoje will have been on little last year, not now. Agree that the salary bill will be less this year than 2-3 years ago, but that's another story......
True, but then Cole, Ayerza, Youngs (T), Youngs (B), Manu will be on significant salaries (Manu on a massive salary!), and I'm assuming Williams and Burns don't come cheap. I just think that the amount we spend on players won't be far off Sarries at all.

Wasn't including Kruis and Itoje as they have only just signed contract extensions!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
jgriffin wrote: Depends what you call massive...Cashton was on £300k when Strettle was there on £250k; what will the Vunipolas, Fazlet, Goode be on as current internationals of over a year's standing (the former two bought as internationals)? Kruis and Itoje will have been on little last year, not now. Agree that the salary bill will be less this year than 2-3 years ago, but that's another story......
True, but then Cole, Ayerza, Youngs (T), Youngs (B), Manu will be on significant salaries (Manu on a massive salary!), and I'm assuming Williams and Burns don't come cheap. I just think that the amount we spend on players won't be far off Sarries at all.

Wasn't including Kruis and Itoje as they have only just signed contract extensions!
TBH matey I think the horse has bolted over salaries (just look at Wasps buying), the money men have had their way and I think we will see a Top14 situation clearly develop over the next season.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Completely agree.

Just pointing out that you can't really argue Sarries have bought success anymore than the rest of the top teams.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

You could argue it a couple of seasons ago but George, Itoje, Kruis, Fraser, Wray, Spencer, Farrell, and Goode (maybe some I have missed) are all academy products and half of them are in the England 23..

That is incredible and should be applauded when you consider how young they all are..I will never like Saracens but boy would I love Itoje on my team :smt023

As for playing rugby in our new style..it is one of the only ways we can compete imo..maybe not this year but our team could not challenge Sarries at their game therefore we must adapt..next year will be the year I judge us on personally and I think this year has now been a success in somewhat transition..

Furthermore with the way Wasps are splashing the cash it really does seem like we will be the new Top 14..I just hope the likes of Evans et al can still come through in that world and mostly just hope we don't descend into that turgid arm wrestle bore they call Rugby over there
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not denying that last season we weren't good enough but what I am trying to say is why change to the style we have rather than how Sarries do?! They have been the consistent team for the past few years.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sarries are a really good team at present, the so called boring rugby of the final was the best that could be expected in those conditions, sometimes defences just win over attack, it is no lesser a contest.
I believe we can beat Saracens, we can get parity in the lineout, we can win the front row battle. We must be safe under the high ball and cut out the handling errors. I see no reason why we cannot win, our players on their day are at least the equal of the opposition.
I have just got back from Lyon, time to book for Twickenham.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:
ellis9 wrote:I'm not jealous of Saracens but obviously I wish we were European Champions. There's a difference between being jealous and wishing it was us who were Champions.
Not jealous of Sarries in the sense that I could never support them, but yes jealous of their success, consistent level of performance and their amazing accuracy.

I am hoping we will improve markedly next season in our consistency, if so we will have the quality to push Sarries hard in the league.
You're wasting your energy trying to explain it to him.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wasting their time explaining it to me? What are you suggesting?

It amazes me that when someone goes against the grain or says something they disagree with, people start calling you stupid etc.

If you can't have an adult conversation with different opinions, maybe a forum isn't the right place for you.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:Wasting their time explaining it to me? What are you suggesting?

It amazes me that when someone goes against the grain or says something they disagree with, people start calling you stupid etc.

If you can't have an adult conversation with different opinions, maybe a forum isn't the right place for you.
That's funny, because I've been saying that about the CA since I joined.

Hello kettle, this is pot, send colour state. Over.