2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Part 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Par

Post by northerntiger »

Just had I quick look at Wiki, signed for Falcons straight from school. No mention of Gloucester
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

northerntiger wrote:Just had I quick look at Wiki, signed for Falcons straight from school. No mention of Gloucester

Did you not see the links I posted?

I'm not saying he was there long but he was there.

http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/mobile ... e/5202.php
21 mins:
Joe Shaw went down after clearing the ball from his own half, which was followed by a clear knock-on from Grindall at the base of a ruck, which was missed. The stand-in inside centre hobbled off and former Gloucester Academy boy Mathew Tait came on in his place, with him going to the wing, and May moving to midfield.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Bristol just announced signing of Crane on a 3 year deal...

Bristol Rugby is delighted to announce the capture of Jordan Crane on a three-year deal.
The Leicester Tigers back rower is set to join in the summer following ten years at Welford Road.
With three England caps to his name, Crane has four Premiership winners’ medals and over 150 appearances in the top flight.
“Jordan is an excellent acquisition for Bristol Rugby and a natural leader. At 29 years old, he’s at the peak of his career and we’re looking forward to welcoming him to Ashton Gate,” Director of Rugby Andy Robinson told bristolrugby.co.uk.
“Jordan knows what is required to be successful at the highest level. He’s a physical ball carrier with a good understanding of the game. His arrival will compliment our young, talented back row.”
A product of Colston’s School, Crane captained England at U18s, U19s, U21s and Saxons level.
He added: “The opportunity to join Bristol Rugby and be part of the exciting vision going forward was one I couldn’t turn down.
“The stadium is fantastic and the ambition and resources are there for the Club to be really successful.
“I’ve had an incredible ten years at Leicester and those experiences have shaped my career. I’d like to thank everybody at Tigers for their support.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Good luck to him. A real Tigers stalwart. A good move for him at this stage of his career.

He's done us proud in his time here.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brilliant bloke, shame couldn't end his career like he wanted with us but he will always be remembered as a tiger through and through.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I agree Iain.

Craner is a quality player - a true pro who has always given 100%. A skilful 8, who never shirked doing the messy stuff or the hard yards.
Not particularly appreciated by some, and he has received, imo, unnecessary and unwarranted stick from quite a few posters on this forum.

I wish him all the best - a good signing for Briz!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

MurphysLaw wrote:I agree Iain.

Craner is a quality player - a true pro who has always given 100%. A skilful 8, who never shirked doing the messy stuff or the hard yards.
Not particularly appreciated by some, and he has received, imo, unnecessary and unwarranted stick from quite a few posters on this forum.

I wish him all the best - a good signing for Briz!
To be honest, the stick he's got has always been a small pocket of online ranters who resort to lazy old arguments ("he makes no yards", "we should have kept Waldrom"... both of which I strongly disagree with as it goes).

He seems to have always been appreciated in the ground. There are few better controlling 8s around at the base of the scrum and few better at the ugly work that an 8 does, which given that much of the season is prone to rain and sticky pitches is a really underrated quality.

But the time is right for him to move on. We may miss the cover he provides, but I trust the club to have recruited/be recruiting properly to address that.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sorry to learn that Jordan is leaving. A look at his record shows what a valuable player he has been to Tigers. Possibly rightly described as an old fashioned eight I always thought the back of the scrums looked tidier when he was there and his presentation of the ball to the scrum half made life a little easier for Ben Young. A good bloke who will be remembered by Tigers fans for many things but mostly for that kick in Cardiff. I wish him all the best for future success with Bristol.
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Like most, I'm sorry that JC is off, he took his time to win me over but no denying he is a top player. He was very good at a lot of things, perhaps not exceptional at one. Waldrom was always a great carrier, but poor at a lot of other things, JC certainly showed him up as a superior 8 at the back of the scrum. Club man and sorry he is going, looking at his personal situation, to get offered a 3yr deal and first team games is a great deal for him at circa 30.

I'd asked Cohen previously about JC who had said that he was under contract for next year. I suspect this was a Salvi type 2yr deal plus option of 3yr, Tigers would have offered 3rd year. I assume that there is no transfer fee to us as he would be out of contract at the end of his 2nd year. Shame no fee as would be handy to tempt someone over.

I hope we can sign a top class 8 or at least get plans to. Hamilton looks a good back rower but would he be a Billy V or Toby Fal style that would give us some big back row carry back? I've only seen 1 video of him. Agree that others Slater / Williams / McCaffrey can support Fonua, but I wonder if we will fill in next season till we can get after a Morgan or Beaumont when out of contract in Summer 2017?
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:
northerntiger wrote:Just had I quick look at Wiki, signed for Falcons straight from school. No mention of Gloucester

Did you not see the links I posted?

I'm not saying he was there long but he was there.

http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/mobile ... e/5202.php
21 mins:
Joe Shaw went down after clearing the ball from his own half, which was followed by a clear knock-on from Grindall at the base of a ruck, which was missed. The stand-in inside centre hobbled off and former Gloucester Academy boy Mathew Tait came on in his place, with him going to the wing, and May moving to midfield.
Tenuous claim....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/column ... llery.html
The genesis of a superstar begins at Barnard Castle School. That was where Peter Walton, Newcastle's assistant academy manager, first spotted him.

"He was 14," Walton recalled. "We were running sessions for the junior lads at the club and he turned up. Straight away I could see he was a natural. His movement was the biggest thing. That stood out. Also, he hardly ever dropped a ball and the pace of his pass was tremendous."

Walton alerted his boss, John Fletcher, and the two of them kept an eye on Tait. It wasn't that difficult. Within a season Tait was in the England Under-16 side. Then, an aberration. While Walton took the Newcastle U-21 team on their annual tour to New Zealand, Gloucester snuck in and asked Tait if he fancied a few sessions with them.

"I went down to Gloucester a couple of seasons ago with a friend for about three weeks," Tait admitted. "They had approached me after I had represented England. I have to say I was tempted to join them. I got on well with Nigel Melville [Gloucester's director of rugby and a former England scrum-half] and I liked the set-up there.

"But I settled on Newcastle because it was closer to home and there was a chance of working with Jonny and Blackie."
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

yeh it is, but still has an England U19 cap with Glous as his club on the team sheet. And I guess technically he can be called a former Glous acad player.

He's in contract anyway and can't see him leaving till next season.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Chris Pennell (29) has signed a new contract with Warriors.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pennell was never going to leave warriors once he decided to stay with them couple seasons ago.

Too old now to be in England plans really.

Shame for English rugby but fair play to him showing a lot of loyalty.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TRP rumours
Wasps closing in on Willie Le Roux (doubt this one)
Lancaster in talks with Highlanders to replace Joesph (no way this will happen)
Coventry might be off to Cheifs (super rugby)
Saints interested in bringing back Manoa
Matthew Rees weighing up an offer to be a player coach for Dragons
Cory Jane looking at joining the AP. (Maybe be a interesting one for Tigers although he is 33)
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Cory Jane looking at joining the AP. (Maybe be a interesting one for Tigers although he is 33)
Hopefully not. Why would we want yet another ageing journeyman? :smt004