They've only gone and done it!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DCATsOLDMAN

Re: They've only gone and done it!

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Great day for Leicester yesterday, with Foxes and Selby winning their respective Championships. Riders likely to be next at the weekend, hopefully, followed by Tigers(?). Even the Cricket team seems to be joining in by returning to winning ways. Maybe Leicester IS the sporting capital of the UK at the moment :smt038 :smt026 :smt041
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Fantastic achievement from a good set of players and for a change a manager with a bit of class/style about him!!!

Not sure what the odds will be for Tigers to beat Sarries away, certainly a lot less than 5000-1, probably more like 5-1, so I would suggest a pep talk from Ranieri and if we (the players) really believe we can do it, then it could well happen!!
Soggypitch
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It's the greatest shock in the history of sport. I'm trying to think of something that tops it but I can't. It is truly amazing. A phenomenal achievement and a wonderful story.

Congratulations to our footballing neighbours. With Selby winning the world championship and Riders being in the BBL final, it would be great if we could complete the story by winning the Premiership too. We really do have a sporting city to be proud of.

I'm not a City fan, but I think it would be a nice touch if we played the Post Horn Gallop before Smoke on the Water before our first home game next season.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

In my younger days, as a season ticket holder in the Spion Kop, I never had any hopes for City, save staying in Division 1, and giving everyone a good game. Mostly these modest ambitions were met. My biggest fear was that Spurs, who ruined my first FA Cup Final, by doing the double, in 1961, would put one over on us again. Thank goodness that hasn't happended. Congratulations to everyone, of course, and I guess Leicester is buzzing today. :smt035 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:It's the greatest shock in the history of sport. I'm trying to think of something that tops it but I can't. It is truly amazing. A phenomenal achievement and a wonderful story.

Congratulations to our footballing neighbours. With Selby winning the world championship and Riders being in the BBL final, it would be great if we could complete the story by winning the Premiership too. We really do have a sporting city to be proud of.

I'm not a City fan, but I think it would be a nice touch if we played the Post Horn Gallop before Smoke on the Water before our first home game next season.
Well, there's 20 right there:

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/ ... psets.html

And that's just 'soccer'...

I'm being facetious, Leicester have done a wonderful job (kind of handed it on the winning line by a bad tempered game last night between Spurs & Chelsea) 5000/1 reflects the confidence that was put in the team to take the title pre-season.

Greatest shock in the history of sport....?

Nah.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:
Iain wrote:It's the greatest shock in the history of sport. I'm trying to think of something that tops it but I can't. It is truly amazing. A phenomenal achievement and a wonderful story.

I'm being facetious, Leicester have done a wonderful job (kind of handed it on the winning line by a bad tempered game last night between Spurs & Chelsea) 5000/1 reflects the confidence that was put in the team to take the title pre-season.

Nah.
I'd say one or two of those at a push.

Discount all one off games - that happens.

For them to sustain a title push over 38 games in a competition that was seen as a closed shop for the elite? Wow.

I'm not a City fan, so this isn't coming from a point of bias, but I'm really struggling to think of anything in the history of sport that rivals it.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BigDan50 wrote:Congratulations to Leicester football club, great to see a so say smaller club win the league.
One thing that football has got right over rugby is that if your top of the league after playing all the other teams twice you are champions.
The format used by rugby is flawed, the play offs are a nonsense, Saracens will be top and should be crowned champions.
If you want a money making end to the season why not have a cup competition with the top 8 teams playing in a knock out competition.
The format could be 1st plays 8th, 2nd plays 7th etc, with a semi final and final to be played at a ground central to the clubs involved to allow the fans easier travel arrangements.
Pedant alert.

Leicester Football Club are more generally known as Leicester Tigers. The team that play at the King Power are Leicester City Football Club. :smt023
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark Selby of Leicester - World Snooker Champion
UK Basketball Champion - Leicester Riders
English Football champions - Leicester City

come on Tigers its your turn next ...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:
Roly wrote:

Nah.
I'd say one or two of those at a push.

Discount all one off games - that happens.

For them to sustain a title push over 38 games in a competition that was seen as a closed shop for the elite? Wow.

I'm not a City fan, so this isn't coming from a point of bias, but I'm really struggling to think of anything in the history of sport that rivals it.
I think the problem might be short memories or relatively short lives....

Ipswich town won the title in 1962 led by Alf Ramsey. They had never been in the first division before and had no money to spend on players. In fact, they had been in the third division a few season before that. Leicester City's triumph is wonderful but nowhere near as 'amazing' as Ipswich succeeding the magnificent Tottenham double side...

Or Nottingham Forest's rise to glory. I'll take Leicester City's achievement seriously if they win the Champions League next year :smt002
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Roly you don't take into account how different football is from then to now the playing field was much more level, the gap between the bottom of the prem, (Villa aside) and the top of the championship is enormous
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Fantastic day for the city a world champion in Snooker and the first ever football champions of England. Now it's encumbent on the Tigers playing and coaching staff to make it a triple whammy by lifting the title at Twickenham on the 28th of May.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:Roly you don't take into account how different football is from then to now the playing field was much more level, the gap between the bottom of the prem, (Villa aside) and the top of the championship is enormous
Its all about context, believe me....

So, if Exeter do the AP this year, will the plaudits be as numerous...?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Roly wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:Roly you don't take into account how different football is from then to now the playing field was much more level, the gap between the bottom of the prem, (Villa aside) and the top of the championship is enormous
Its all about context, believe me....

So, if Exeter do the AP this year, will the plaudits be as numerous...?
well no, they have been in the league more than 2 years for a start, it would be like Worcester winning it next year having been top most of the way and never really looking like falling away either
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

It wouldn't be like Worcester winning the Premiership in rugby, or Exeter.
It would be comparable to joining the Premiership and Championship together and Moseley winning it.
:smt023
Cheery chappy
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Great to know Roly's natural pessimism goes beyond the Tigers.