Jacob Umaga

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jacob Umaga

Post by Snorbins »

TRP has Jacob Umaga as saying be won't be at Tigers next season. Thought it would be good to explore new things.
Has his head been turned? All that glisters etc?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Jacob Umaga

Post by jgriffin »

Snorbins wrote:TRP has Jacob Umaga as saying be won't be at Tigers next season. Thought it would be good to explore new things.
Has his head been turned? All that glisters etc?
That's a pity, and almost certainly by a move to the SH.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Uncle Tana now coaching one of the super rugby franchise, I think it's the blues, no doubt off to see him.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well that is feking annoying. I think an AP would have to pay compensation if that was to happen.

But I Imagine it is to NZ and considering it his connections there, and the Blues in particular not really having a proper 10.

Can see him wanting to follow Tana's footsteps and play for NZ, NZ press noticed him when he was named in the Eng U19's.

Unless he is going on a loan deal SH.
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

RagingBull wrote:Well that is feking annoying. I think an AP would have to pay compensation if that was to happen.

But I Imagine it is to NZ and considering it his connections there, and the Blues in particular not really having a proper 10.

Can see him wanting to follow Tana's footsteps and play for NZ, NZ press noticed him when he was named in the Eng U19's.

Unless he is going on a loan deal SH.
The Blues are doing pretty well this season, with their new coach in charge, so my NZ cousins are pleased to tell me, so I would not be surprised if Uncle T has young Jacob on his radar.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

He may be a promising young player, but IMO young Umaga isn't anywhere near good enough to play in Super Rugby yet (the improving Blues do have 'proper' young fly-half in Ehaia West!)

A bit of time in NZ club rugby, like Johnno's trip there in his youth, would be good for him, however.
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

KevinR wrote:He may be a promising young player, but IMO young Umaga isn't anywhere near good enough to play in Super Rugby yet (the improving Blues do have 'proper' young fly-half in Ehaia West!)

A bit of time in NZ club rugby, like Johnno's trip there in his youth, would be good for him, however.
Think that is probably what will happen if he does go to New Zealand. Maybe one of the clubs in the Auckland area that plays in the lower levels of the itm comp
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I'm hoping it's one of those occasions were the TRP have the details wrong

His uncle may be back in NZ but his mum is in the West Mids and is know where my Sunday lunch is coming from.

However, a year attachment in the Southern Hemisphere could help kick him on a level
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It was from his own mouth so to speak not in the fissler section.

To me it sounded like it was a long term move not a short term one.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

If you were NZRU you'd probably be willing to take a punt on him and get him over and into the NZ age grade/representative sides ASAP. Surely all they need to do is give him a Junior AB cap and then he's theirs as far as national selection is concerned. I'm not sure the RFU are that forward thinking; that is unless your dad is an England coach!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Junior All blacks don't lock in a player.

Well we have 3 NZU20's players in our team two are EQP and the other plays for Tonga.

I guess we see how it goes maybe it is a 2 seasons abroad in NZ or somewhere which is fine, just be annoying if he goes to another AP either next season or after the break.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote:Junior All blacks don't lock in a player.

Well we have 3 NZU20's players in our team two are EQP and the other plays for Tonga.

I guess we see how it goes maybe it is a 2 seasons abroad in NZ or somewhere which is fine, just be annoying if he goes to another AP either next season or after the break.
"Junior All Blacks" is the squad equivalent to the Saxons as far as I can see - not to be confused with age grade sides(U-20 as you refer to) and NZ schools.

http://www.allblacks.com/Teams/Junior

Interesting to not it hasn't played/formed as a squad since 2014 - maybe a hangover from the RWC and its main opponents being the Pacific island nations. Either way, whether it was the JABs or the Maori, you could see him getting capped early!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:

"Junior All Blacks" is the squad equivalent to the Saxons as far as I can see - not to be confused with age grade sides(U-20 as you refer to) and NZ schools.

Interesting to not it hasn't played/formed as a squad since 2014 - maybe a hangover from the RWC and its main opponents being the Pacific island nations. Either way, whether it was the JABs or the Maori, you could see him getting capped early!
Not really - NZ don't really try locking in players who aren't at that level yet. Which is why pretty much every international team in the world has a smattering (or a flood in Samoa's case) of kiwis playing for them.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

4071 wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:

Not really - NZ don't really try locking in players who aren't at that level yet. Which is why pretty much every international team in the world has a smattering (or a flood in Samoa's case) of kiwis playing for them.
Fair point. :smt001
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We will wait and see I guess I hope he stays though.