Next weekend

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

insearchofheros

Next weekend

Post by insearchofheros »

I have kept quiet about yesterday, 22 handling errors and people seem to think we were still okay, may I beg to differ. Anyway this game has gone we must look towards the weekend, here's just some thoughts.

Harrison must start
Bateman deserves the chance to start
It looks as if we will be without Freddie and Manu so Owen is a shoe in, what do we do with the centres? Thompston looked good when he came on.
Anyway folks, what do we think...
samsapples

Re: Next weekend

Post by samsapples »

Thacker looked like he came off with a hand injury so I'd imagine it'd be Bateman starting with Ghiraldini on the bench. Maybe Smith to make a return to replace Manu?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Harrison had been just as slow and ponderous beforehand. I'd honestly start with Ben again, give him the opportunity to replenish his confidence. To be champions we need Youngs at his best.

Thacker is the man on form - I'd start him ahead of Bateman. Bateman may be more effective from the bench.

12 is a minor headache as we are missing De Villiers, Bai, Tuilagi, Williams, Smith, Roberts (I'm sure I've missed a 12 option somewhere). What I would be tempted to do actually is put Tait to 12 (we tried him there pre-season and he looked good) and Veainu to 15. I'm not sure I know what the alternative is.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

1. Mulipola
2. Bateman
3. Balmain
4. Fitzgerald
5. Slater
6. Croft
7. O'Connor
8. Fonua
9. Kitto
10. Williams
11. Goneva
12. Smith
13. Tait
14. Thompstone
15. Bell

16. Ghilradini
17. Ayerza
18. Cole
19. Barrow
20. McCaffrey
21. Youngs
22. Betham
23. Veainu

Assuming Burns and Manu aren't fit. Give some of the front line players a run off the bench to take Worcester apart from 50 mins onwards. Bell can cover 10 from 15 so we can have Betham and Veainu on bench

I think the mental refresh for all the bench players could be good for them and give some of the others a chance.

Worcester looked knackered the other week so from 50 mins onwards we can take them apart
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Why persist with Fonua, when he clearly isn't up to it?

OK, so Lawrence Pearce is leaving the club, but he's a damn sight better 8 than Fonua. Or McCaffrey, of course.
Semper in excretia
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Robespierre wrote:Why persist with Fonua, when he clearly isn't up to it?

OK, so Lawrence Pearce is leaving the club, but he's a damn sight better 8 than Fonua. Or McCaffrey, of course.
Used properly, Fonua is excellent. His sheer bulk and power can cause chaos. Yes, he knocked on a lot yesterday but who didn't? He's the ideal impact sub for me.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I know who I'd pick, and it's not Fonua, but then again, I'm an English teacher and not the Tigers DOR!!
Semper in excretia
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Assuming O'Connor gets over his tonsilitis I'd start him at 7 and McCaffrey at 8. 6 depends on how Fitz is.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

What we certainly must not do is take a win for granted. In the last 2 months they have only been beaten twice and have beaten Quins, Glaws and the Falcons and scored a hat full of points against the Pests. Lets turn out the top side and rest after we have ensured 4th if by then 3rd is out of reach.
Hehehehehehehehe
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Iain wrote:Assuming O'Connor gets over his tonsilitis I'd start him at 7 and McCaffrey at 8. 6 depends on how Fitz is.
Iain, O'Connor (as was Matt Smith, Loz Pearce & Jack Roberts) was at the Lady Bay fan village yesterday, I asked him about his illness and he said that he had tore his calf, said he'd be out two weeks. Whether this is the "illness" or was done post illness I have no idea.
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

I think Tigers might expect to win this game with a variety of different teams, and even different approaches. However, I'd like to see them respond to the lessons of the semi-final, if only because we don't want the same result when we (hopefully) play Sarries for the title. NB am not sure how many neutrals will be tuning in for Sarries vs Racing Euro final...

So, in this vein:

- Tigers need to play at a high tempo, with quick ball through, if necessary, multiple phases. That is, to get the best out of their excellent outside backs. So, ample thought should be given to the 7 and 9 shirts. At the same time, picking people because they are big or tall, and assuming that that guarantees you get over the gain line is clearly something of a myth, exposed yesterday (unless you take the view that they simply weren't running hard enough). While on this topic, I get that Fanua is big, but is that really enough on its own for selection? Really?

- Without wanting to contradict the previous point, Tigers need to "earn" the right to go wide, i.e. getting defenders committed first, and preferably half a yard over that gain line. Arguably yesterday was a bit lateral a bit early, at times. This may mean more rolling mauls, more "pick and go" (as, er, demonstrated by Joe R yesterday), maybe even just better angles, better support lines, and runners coming from deeper. Yes I appreciate that the point is moot if you can't hold on to the ball, but that doesn't invalidate the thesis

- The Worcester game might be a good one for really working on precision. Clearly Racing put Tigers under pressure, and this led to mistakes, but it was also evident that many errors were unforced. It would be good if Tigers managed to hook each ball on their own scrum, maintain properly tidy service from the line out, not kick the ball straight out of play (unforced), pass from the breakdown to just in front of the first receiver (at catching height). In the key games precision will be vital, and basic skills must hold up.

- Finally, it would be great to see Tigers act like the proverbial scolded cat, straight out of the gate, i.e. in angry response to the defeat, but also to try and be dynamic and on the front foot from the off. I know Cockers has indicated that some of the players might have been a bit fazed by yesterday's match, but it did seem apparent that they weren't as "on it like a car bonnet" from the start, as perhaps they have been (and with the result that Racing quickly took a physical edge).

So, overall, the advantage of yesterday (cup being half full) is that it allows Tigers to learn lessons, be it in terms of selection, tactics, whatever, and the reality of life in the rarefied atmosphere of a European semi. We didn't really expect to be there this season, and only mid way through the change of style etc, so perhaps it was always going to be a bit "dangerous" and with the possibility that things might unravel a bit. But let's "take the medicine and move on" as Pat Howard used to say, and there is no better game than the very next one, for putting things right, even if it is Worsc not Racing that Tigers face (no disrespect to Worsc, but you take my point).
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

PaleoTiger wrote:
Iain wrote:Assuming O'Connor gets over his tonsilitis I'd start him at 7 and McCaffrey at 8. 6 depends on how Fitz is.
Iain, O'Connor (as was Matt Smith, Loz Pearce & Jack Roberts) was at the Lady Bay fan village yesterday, I asked him about his illness and he said that he had tore his calf, said he'd be out two weeks. Whether this is the "illness" or was done post illness I have no idea.
Interesting. I don't think that was common knowledge.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Iain wrote:
PaleoTiger wrote:
Interesting. I don't think that was common knowledge.
So, you knew? And didn't tell? Traitor :smt027 :smt002
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

No I didn't know. And given that I'm the kind of nerd to take in any Tigers news I can find, I suspect it wasn't common knowledge.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Betham must start, he is playing very well, outshone Manu yesterday, he and Vienue are our most dangerous weapons, as for Fonua, if he started at pace, maybe he might break a tackle but at moment from standing start, No chance, pick Pearce!