A bit of perspective

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

A bit of perspective

Post by ellis9 »

So many people claimed last season that if we play attacking, exciting rugby, we will win more. Today we lost trying to play that way. Had we not dropped passes and not thrown passes forwards, then the result could and probably would have been different. However, for those saying we have to play that way to win, proves we don't.

The way we needed to play today, was to get the ball in their 22 and build pressure from there and build phases patiently and hit them at the right moment.

This is no way a criticism of the team, just a mere observation.

Playing an open, expansive game will result in more mistakes, especially when we are still on the process of changing to this style. We have a block of good games and then an off day and today was one of those days.

Well done Tigers for giving your all and trying your hardest today, we still have a Premiership title to go for!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: A bit of perspective

Post by mol2 »

A bit of perspective - Racing were pants and we were worse.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:So many people claimed last season that if we play attacking, exciting rugby, we will win more. Today we lost trying to play that way. Had we not dropped passes and not thrown passes forwards, then the result could and probably would have been different. However, for those saying we have to play that way to win, proves we don't.

The way we needed to play today, was to get the ball in their 22 and build pressure from there and build phases patiently and hit them at the right moment.

This is no way a criticism of the team, just a mere observation.

Playing an open, expansive game will result in more mistakes, especially when we are still on the process of changing to this style. We have a block of good games and then an off day and today was one of those days.

Well done Tigers for giving your all and trying your hardest today, we still have a Premiership title to go for!
Sorry not quite sure where you are coming from with this. There wasn't a tactical or style of play issue today - merely an execution issue. It may have escaped your notice that we haven't got to a Euro semi for 7 years, so the "new style" is already a winner. I am not quite sure what you are advocating...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I am saying that because we are playing this new way, that's why in some games we are seeing handling errors. Like I say, I am not criticising, just pointing out that more mistakes are going to happen because of the way we are playing. Eventually, we will hopefully be able to play the way we want to without the errors.

For those who said will win more (meaning trophies) by playing "exciting" rugby, we have gone out of a competition, so not won it.

Please don't think I am moaning, just pointing out that playing this way, doesn't necessarily bring success with it.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

When Mauger arrived he made a big deal about basic skills execution and quality of passing. That aspect of the game has improved immeasurably this season, but as a result the team are taking too many chances with risky passes. Racing's defensive line speed (and dare I say habit of being offside, see also Saracens) meant all of our passes were under pressure, and arguably we should have produced a more pragmatic approach rather than trying to chase the game with overly flash moves that were never on.

That said, we were never going to win the power game either, and this match exposed our lack of powerful runners. I can't help but feel that Fonua won't be of much use unless he can exploit a running start and he didn't break the gainline effectively. Manu had one of his weakest games since his comeback. Targeted by the Racing defense, Manu wasn't able to offer any threat and couldn't hold onto the ball.

I think the seemingly low quality of our playing yesterday was largely due to the immense pressure Racing put us under. That's not to say though that the team can make excuses for trying to play the wrong game for the opposition.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

This match was disappointing for many reasons, but the bottom line is that a team simply cannot play such inconsistent rugby and expect to sit at the top table.

The game-plan was grossly wrong, and neither did the team try to adapt until it was too late.

The constant handling errors were cringe-worthy, but the seminal moment was in the 3rd minute when Cole just stood watching the breakdown, Barrow looked lost and Joe R literally ran through the yawning gap in the defence. That was 7 points in what turned out to be a 3 point game. In fact, for the first 20 minutes, Tigers were lazy in defence, did not commit anything like what was needed at the breakdown and were eaten alive at the line-out.

Strangely, the scrum seemed to hold up well - an area I think most people expected Racing to dominate. The Thacker offload was a moment of lovely skill, but apart from that the only positive you can take was the dog they showed to get within 3 points at the end.

It seems obvious to me, but had Tigers won, the final would have been a game too far, as it is, Tigers will probably have to go to Allianz Park to keep their AP hopes alive - the omens aren't good.

I suppose you can look on the brightside and at least Tigers aren't consistently bad. But when they are bad, they're really bad.

They all need to step up next season, or it'll be RC's last in charge.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Have we just hit the relegation zone? Top four, semi finals, and in the play offs?
Many teams would die to be in that position. Cant agree that Tigers have been bad all season. There have been some disappointing displays but something must have gone right to get to where they are now.

I expect all the players to have a full pre-season with the addition of the new arriving players. If we are playing bad now and getting to this position, I look forward to what happens when we play better. Exciting times ahead and expect that Cockers will remain beyond next season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Don't think Tigers are a bad team per se but it's often been the case over the last couple of seasons or so that when they come up against the top teams they usually come off second best.

Yes where were the forwards at the breakdown? Too often AWOL and Youngs getting pressured and scragged too often due to a combination of his slowness and the lack of blockers at rucks.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Here's the perspective: What has gone before us this season is now irrelevant. If we win our next four games we are champions.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

And if I pick the right numbers tomorrow then by this time next week I'll be a millionaire. :smt030
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

G.K wrote:And if I pick the right numbers tomorrow then by this time next week I'll be a millionaire. :smt030
Perspective is all about looking at a subject from different angles.

For me, Tigers could quite comfortably have a home AP semi booked and should be in the EC final.

Poor performances at key times have prevented this. That is the disappointing aspect, because other performances suggest that Tigers were easily capable of both.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Roly wrote:
G.K wrote:And if I pick the right numbers tomorrow then by this time next week I'll be a millionaire. :smt030

For me, Tigers could quite comfortably have a home AP semi booked and should be in the EC final.

Poor performances at key times have prevented this. That is the disappointing aspect, because other performances suggest that Tigers were easily capable of both.
Struth
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:

Yes. And equally for me this actually gives me hope. There's clear scope for improvement from the position of finishing in the semi finals of both competitions.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Disappointed - yes! Downhearted - yes! Would I change our approach - No! Lots of valid points made by a variety of posters but IMHO we are set up to play a more open and mobile sort of game and that is why we have signed the players that we had done. Yes we need better ball carrying skills and better choices as to when to offload but I really do believe it is the right way to play given our squad. We have missed O'Connor at the breakdown and BY was much slower in his service than of late thus creating not a lot of space for our midfield.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

trendylfj wrote:Disappointed - yes! Downhearted - yes! Would I change our approach - No! Lots of valid points made by a variety of posters but IMHO we are set up to play a more open and mobile sort of game and that is why we have signed the players that we had done. Yes we need better ball carrying skills and better choices as to when to offload but I really do believe it is the right way to play given our squad. We have missed O'Connor at the breakdown and BY was much slower in his service than of late thus creating not a lot of space for our midfield.
Can't put it better myself +1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat