Tigers v Stade Team.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

richardssalex

Re: Tigers v Stade Team.

Post by richardssalex »

Will S wrote: Not really. Williams didn't light it up going forward (like Burns has done)
As i said before, it's not what he does himself running with the ball but how he brings other people into the game. There's a reason Betham, Manu and Veianu lit it up.
Burns constantly makes the wrong decision and more often than not his decision to run himself puts us into trouble, how many times does he try and beat a defender and then kick which puts us under pressure?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Both Youngs and Williams were pretty terrible. But tbf to Williams it was his first game starting back. As to who I would pick for the in these positions I would honestly look at the weather forecast. Ben is slow at the breakdowns, Sam is faster. With dry conditions for running rugby means getting the ball out to run with is the way to go. If conditions aren't good then Youngs is the better choice.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

For me Owen Williams must start he gives us just that little bit more options at 10 recently he has been playing out of position to help us with our missing/injuries.
Back in his natural position he has that extra touch that throws defences off, I don't deny Freddie has too got alot better & can still do well in the last 20 mins off this very important game.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I am completely the other way. In his last game Owen missed some important tackles, missed kicks at goal, got a clearance kick charged down and kicked the ball dead in the last minutes of the game which put us under huge pressure. I can't remember anything he did that was high class.

Recently Burns has been kicking well from hand, great at goal (I think someone said he has got his last 15 shots at goal), solid in defence and has scored a couple of trys for us.

I am not trying to bash Owen. He has been out for a stretch and has only played recently at 12 but we need a form 10 for the weekend otherwise we are out of Europe. This is not the time to try and play someone back into form when we have another good option.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

For me Thompson should not start. He has butchered two easy opportunities in recent weeks with poor handling.

Move Veainu to the wing and bring in Tait at FB. Make it clear that Veainu can look for work and get him into the game early doors.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

I'd keep with the same back line as last week....Thompstone had a shocker last week, but Tait's confidence is low, which normally leads to him making wrong decisions and Veainu has shown little effect on the wing.

I would give Thomstone another chance, but I'm sure the management team will revert to Tait at FB and stick Veainu on the wing.

Youngs looked a yard off the pace last weekend but I cant see that continuing. This often happens for a few weeks after players return from international duty...Surely you have to start him over Harrison.

I would also start Burns over WIlliams. His game management had been improving by the week up until 2 weeks ago.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I still think that Burns wasn't played by Cockerill last Sunday because of his Gloucester connections, it's surprising how playing against a former team mate can focus the mind, but having said that on current form Burns is a better player than Williams who seemed to do better when he played inside centre, but against Stade we do need players playing who are in form.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I think RC thought we would win more comfortably against Glous. With that in mind I can understand playing Owen ahead of Burns. If he had played Freddie and he got injured we would have been left with Owen who hasn't played much at all at 10 for a massive game against Stade. Give Owen a run out and he gets his eye in - if he has a brilliant game then you have the option of him or Freddie starting against Stade. If Owen doesn't play great, which I think was the case, then you still start with Freddie but if he picks up an injury or is having a mare at least Owen is on the bench with some recent game time under his belt.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Will S wrote:I think RC thought we would win more comfortably against Glous. With that in mind I can understand playing Owen ahead of Burns. If he had played Freddie and he got injured we would have been left with Owen who hasn't played much at all at 10 for a massive game against Stade. Give Owen a run out and he gets his eye in - if he has a brilliant game then you have the option of him or Freddie starting against Stade. If Owen doesn't play great, which I think was the case, then you still start with Freddie but if he picks up an injury or is having a mare at least Owen is on the bench with some recent game time under his belt.
I think you've read that absolutely right in terms of RC's thinking and I'm sure he'll start with Burns. Hopefully, Thompstone will get a chance to redeem himself and Veainu will start at 15.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mike Fitzgerald rumoured to be available - wonder if he'll get the nod over Fonua or whoever on the bench?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just back from a post work snifter at the "Wilting Daffodil", formerly the "One Eyed Turk!"

Arguing over the 10, 12, 13 for the Stade game with a fellow exile, I drew my team on a scrap of paper and pushed it over the table towards my friend. I'd managed to squeeze both Williams and Burns into my team.

"There you go!" I cried! "That'll do it!"

"It would!" He said, by now I was triumphant. I was soon deflated. "There's sixteen blokes in your team." I'd picked three centres. Williams, Beetham and Manu.

Which way would I go? I'd fall on the side of Williams at 10............but really I think 16 men is what will be needed.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Makka8

Post by Makka8 »

Dai, I think that Williams, Manu, Betham is probably the way to go, but not all in the centre.

I would go:

Ayerza, Thacker, Cole
Barrow, Slater
Croft, McCaffery, O'Conner

Youngs, Burns
Williams, Manu
Betham, Veianu, Thompstone
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Quick ball is great when it's appropriate, but sometimes the options change, so quick thinking is often more important. Sam looks good when there's chaos and is an instinctive player. Ben in my view is a completely different player, and will return to top form soon.
Remember that form is temporary, whereas class is permanent! Ben has real class!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Makka8 wrote:Dai, I think that Williams, Manu, Betham is probably the way to go, but not all in the centre.

I would go:

Ayerza, Thacker, Cole
Barrow, Slater
Croft, McCaffery, O'Conner

Youngs, Burns
Williams, Manu
Betham, Veianu, Thompstone
Although, improved in the scrummaging stakes, recently, Thacker will struggle. I would go with Bateman at 2; we just need some bulk in there against their lumps.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'll confidently predict the 9/10 will be Youngs and Williams. That's RC favoured combo in my opinion.

I think Williams was more than a bit lucky v Gloucester. OK... his first game at 10 for a while but he's fit and 10 is his position. His kick was charged down in front of the Goldsmiths went safe, his aimless kick at the end heaped pressure on us but we held out. Freddie misses touch against Sale in horrible conditions the week before, they run it back for a try and he gets hammered!

Might be controversial but two views from me (1) I don't see us winning silverware with a 'steady Owen' at the held. Fred's flair can be good and bad but if he can be more on his Saracens form we have a chance and 2) for me FB is the better defender. A lot seems to have been said last week that OW unleashed the backs and but no coincidence he was in a team that conceded 27 at home in the 1st half.

One final thought.... how is this game still not a sell out??? First home Euro QF in how long?