Bad luck or bad business?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Bad luck or bad business?

Post by sapajo »

Brendan O'Connor was signed as a replacement for Salvi.

De Villiers was signed as injury cover for Manu.

Aguero was signed as injury cover for Rizzo.

Are their respective match appearances this season indicative of bad luck or bad business?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
samsapples

Re: Bad luck or bad business?

Post by samsapples »

O'Connor has played pretty much non stop since the beginning of last season due to ITM cup so I think there was always a risk of injury with fatigue, but he is seen as long term replacement. Signing De Villiers who is renowned for being injury prone does seem a bit odd as a short term signing in hindsight, I can only imagine the coaches saw his experience would be valuable to the squad. Aguero does seem just to be a bit of bad luck to be fair
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote:Brendan O'Connor was signed as a replacement for Salvi.

De Villiers was signed as injury cover for Manu.

Aguero was signed as injury cover for Rizzo.

Are their respective match appearances this season indicative of bad luck or bad business?
Wasn't JdV signed as a 'stop-gap' between Anthony Allen retiring unexpectedly and Matt Toomua arriving for 2016/17?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Bad luck. Also JDV wasn't signed as injury cover for Tuilagi or anyone for that matter.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BOC was bad luck, club managed to get Fitz released from ITM but Hawke Bay was being stubborn over him (and had every right to) came to us after playing pretty much every game and nearly every minute of Super rugby and ITM cup rugby.

Aguero again bad luck wasn't injured when signed play the first few games

JDV prob a bit of both, but then again who else was on the market at the time.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not sure how you could class this as bad business. JDV was signed with a facial injury and was expected to play sooner.
All the players listed have picked up injuries either in training or in game time.

This can only be bad luck. Not sure how you can prevent injuries other than not playing them at all!! It is a risk in all games.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I'm inclined to agree that it has been bad luck. JdV was maybe a bit risky, but I think it is all bad luck really.

It does continue to worry me though that we seem to still be having lots of injury problems. I'm not really familiar with any of our competitors, but with my limited perspective it feels like we continue to suffer more than anyone else? (Am I just blinkered though?)

For the last two years I and others have been excited by our squad only to have lots of them unavailable due to injury,

I'm sure it worries the club too, and I'm sure they analyse it etc and take all the smart precautions.

I think I just feel really frustrated by it, as I'm sure lots do. So, I am stamping my foot and petulantly declaring it unfair!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

You can call it whatever you want but our injuries year on year compared with other teams is massive..BOC should of been given more time off imo and not rushed back from injury (however seeing our backrow at the weekend I can't blame them as Crane especially is well past it)..JDV was always a risk but one they took (at present you would have to say that is a failure but may come good in these next few weeks)

All in all another year where our injuries have cost us games.... :smt012

Like has been mentioned in other posts as a realist I think top 4 might be beyond us but top 6 means we can build into next year..
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think it must be a combination of the two. De Villiers showed in his only first team appearance that the turn of speed that he used to have
is sadly missing and at the age of 34 he's unlikely to regain it. I personally feel that Tigers put too much store on a players reputation after all what's past is past. More thought should be given to actual physical fitness and current form. Is there something wrong with our Fitness check system?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat, is it possibe to create a special CockersKnockers smiley so those who are dedicated to that end can attach it to their posts? Just seems that some use literally anything - surprised they didn't use the Ckubhouse Stand delay - to blame him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JFJ, I will let you tell Jordan Crane that he "is well past it".

:smt005
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

It's always going to be a mixed bag with signings - some will work, some won't, some will get injured and some will be ever-present.

In a sport like rugby most players will spend at least part of a season injured.

Some of our other new signings - the likes of Mike Fitzgerald, Lachlan McCaffrey, Peter Betham and Telusa Veainu have played 20+ games already this season. And even Dom Barrow - a signing much criticized because he was injured when we picked him up from Falcons - has played 17 games already. Even with suspensions.

Aguero and JDV have been bad business. Short terms signings that have been injured for most of their short term contracts. But they have been bad business as a result of bad luck. Often there is nothing to be done about players getting injured. It happens.
Flawborough

Post by Flawborough »

Hindsight is a great thing! As the previous contributor says, numerous of our new signings have played over 20+ games and have most certainly been a success.

Concerning JDV, one can only hope that he has given a great deal of his experience on the training ground. He has always seemed to be a genuine chap and I am sure he feels just as bad with the current situation.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Google Jean de Villiers injuries and read the list.

He has had so many knee problems over the years and he has had one serious injury in each of the last 4 seasons.

Google it if you dont believe me.

He was a big big risk and one that hasn't paid off.

I'm worried about Cole, Betham and McCaffrey all been very overplayed.

Cole in particular, that guy needs a week or 2 off. Or another neck injury won't be far away
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Betham hasn't been overplayed how have you worked that out?