All Time English League XV

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rinzler
Tiger Cub

All Time English League XV

Post by Rinzler »

Something for a bit of fun over the bank holiday.

Since domestic rugby is now taking centre stage for the season climax, I’ve started to reminisce over the great Premiership players since the competitions inception. In particular, those who failed to make a name for themselves at international level. I therefore thought it would fun to try have a go at selecting an all-time English League (1987 - present) XV.

The rules are simple, each player must have made a significant contribution to their clubs over their career whilst lacking recognition at international level. I have therefore restricted them to 19 caps or less for their country.

1. David Flatman
2. Schalk Brits
3. Darren Morris
4. Hugh Vyvyan
5. Nick Kennedy
6. Peter Buxton
7. Pat Sanderson
8. James Forester
9. Peter Richards
10. Alex King
11. Steve Hanley
12. Leon Lloyd
13. James Simpson Daniel
14. Tom Varndell
15. Mark van Gisbergen

I’ve tried to include a mix players who were part of the great teams like the play-off mastering 2002-2005 Wasps and Gloucester’s table toppers (and play-off losers), as well as players who were simply outstanding servants for their clubs.

I did struggle to put some Leicester players in this, largely because in our glory years of the late 90’s / early 2000s many of our first team were representing their country on a regular basis. I also struggled with the props, hence Darren Morris making an appearance.

I’m sure you will be able to pick this team apart and have your own ideas. Maybe if we get enough suggestions I could do a little poll.
Last edited by Rinzler on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: All Time Premiership XV

Post by Hot_Charlie »

13: Ollie Smith. 5 caps for England was criminal. I'd put Sinbad on the wing to get him in.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Sam Vesty, Antony Allen and Dan Hipkiss
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Surely Nick Evans at 10?! 16 caps I think
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Julian Salvi, Scott Hamilton and at 17 caps, Andy Goode deserves a mention
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Pat Howard misses out by 1 cap (capped 20 times) but Tim Stimpson just makes it as only capped 19 times!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Stuart Potter a sublime centre. John Wells an under rated nr 6
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Barry Evans? Is he still the Tigers record try scorer at 156 tries? 2 caps.

Jamie Ringer - Dragons - kept out of the Welsh side at 7 due to a certain Martyn Williams?

Dave Rollitt of Bristol - ex Loughborough Colleges - No 8 sometimes 7 and my old maths teacher! 11 caps.

...and, in his pomp, a certain Miles Benjamin?

Ah - just spotted the word 'Premiership'. Rules out most of my suggestions!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

I did think of putting Ollie in, it was just that the wings and centres had so much depth. I originally had Tom Voyce over Varndell, with Hipkiss in the centre for his moment in the 2010 Final. Stimpson would probably be better at full back over Van Gisbergen.

Fly-half was another tough one. I went with Alex King for his contribution to Wasps championship winning sides, although I’m tempted to go with Goode for his time with us as well as the fact his played with half of the teams in the league. Nick Evans is another good shout.

Some good suggestions, particularly with the older players. Clearly we could fill the backline three times over. Keep them coming.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Barry Evans played a couple of league matches when we were champions in 1994/95. I accept the title "premiership" hadn't been adopted by then but my recollection suggests that this was the first year of the first Sky contract. There are some of us who have some recollection of the first league season being 1987/88 & Easter Monday 1988 being the day we were crowned champions. But obviously the absence of a TV deal means that that doesn't really count!
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

Yes, good point. Maybe an all-time English League XV (1987 - Present) would more appropriate. Sadly i'm of a generation who has only known the professional game, but it would nice to learn of these past players.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: All Time English League XV

Post by Stu_F »

And Barry was at his best, imo, in the years before leagues, top player! Still scored the best try I remember being scored at Welford Road v Cardiff in 1983, both in terms of skill and match context, nothing could touch sheer pace in those days.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rinzler wrote:Yes, good point. Maybe an all-time English League XV (1987 - Present) would more appropriate. Sadly i'm of a generation who has only known the professional game, but it would nice to learn of these past players.
Stu_F wrote:And Barry was at his best, imo, in the years before leagues, top player! Still scored the best try I remember being scored at Welford Road v Cardiff in 1983, both in terms of skill and match context, nothing could touch sheer pace in those days.
Yes Barry was superb. As was Steve Hackney - another Tigers winger with blistering pace. The link below is a highlight compilation showing him at his best. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ve+hackney

Unfortunately I can't find a similar one for Barry. I assume either his prowess was not captured on camera or a highlight selection has never been compiled.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Need time to have a think but knocked up a quick on for pro era <20 caps.....

Wood
Dawe
Turner
Alex Brown
Bob Casey
Newby
Tom Rees
Tony Diprose
De Kock
Goode
Hanley
Hipkiss
Lloyd
Hamilton
Reihana

Bench
Freshwater
Diamond
D Bell
Vyvyan
Crane
Peter Richards
Glen Jackson
Tom May

Think it's turned into a 'cult' squad rather than all time best as I can't stand half of them. Maybe I don't mean 'cult' at all..........
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Lammy wrote:Need time to have a think but knocked up a quick on for pro era <20 caps.....

Wood
Dawe
Turner
Alex Brown
Bob Casey
Newby
Tom Rees
Tony Diprose
De Kock
Goode
Hanley
Hipkiss
Lloyd
Hamilton
Reihana

Bench
Freshwater
Diamond
D Bell
Vyvyan
Crane
Peter Richards
Glen Jackson
Tom May

Think it's turned into a 'cult' squad rather than all time best as I can't stand half of them. Maybe I don't mean 'cult' at all..........
If it's a 'cult' squad, I'll pitch in with Calum Clark...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man