Marler - World Rugby step in

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Marler - World Rugby step in

Post by jonlin »

Iain wrote:Seems reasonable that World Rugby would like to have an explanation as to why "in the heat of the moment" excuses an offensive comment. Good that they are prepared to question it.

I expect this is where I get accused of being a PC-brigade virtue signalling leftie is it? :smt006
Could not have described your status much better than that.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Gamesmanship, that's all it is.
You've never played the game properly if you haven't been teased into a reaction.
If there wasn't such a thing then the word wouldn't have a meaning.
Banter is the more common word used these days for it.
You even get it in training day in and day out, it makes you strong mentally.
The Aussies love it, especially when it works.
I lost count of the amount of what could be considered vile suggestions trying to put me off my game that I simply couldn't put into print on here, some of them were so good I used them myself.
It is a part of the fun and also a big life lesson for youngsters, teaches them things that'll come in handy later in life in a dog eat dog world.
That may sound old fashioned but it's reality, that's what makes playing rugby a bit special, if they take another piece of it away then it won't be the same.
Cheery chappy
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Iain wrote:Seems reasonable that World Rugby would like to have an explanation as to why "in the heat of the moment" excuses an offensive comment. Good that they are prepared to question it.

I expect this is where I get accused of being a PC-brigade virtue signalling leftie is it? :smt006
No. This is where I say that I completely agree with you. Marler's apology shouldn't be of relevance until considering what the penalty should be.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Rugby doesn't have a monopoly on the best sledging of course :

Rod Marsh : “So how’s your wife & my kids?”
Ian Botham : “The wife is fine but the kids are retarded”

Glenn McGrath: “Why are you so fat?”
Eddo Brandes “Because every time I **** your wife, she gives me a biscuit.”

Bet Marler & Lee must be wishing they played in a different era!
BlackSeal

Post by BlackSeal »

I remember when I was playing (many years ago now) someone called me a "fat, old :censored:".

I was really upset about it - I was only 33 at the time!

Do you think I could get someone to take this to the European Court of Justice on my behalf?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

BlackSeal wrote:I remember when I was playing (many years ago now) someone called me a "fat, old :censored:".

I was really upset about it - I was only 33 at the time!

Do you think I could get someone to take this to the European Court of Justice on my behalf?
Of course and if someone calls you a fat old BlackSeal then it's clearly racist so you can have them on three counts.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Marler to face hearing.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35887510

So, Marler says something, then apologises. Lee accepts the apology (it's just banter, no worries)but the WRU deem it appropriate to ignore the feelings of grown men, and investigate further. There is nothing to investigate - what was said has been admitted, there was an apology, and it was accepted. No, the PC Police must show how self-righteous they are and blow it all out of all proportion. PATHETIC. :smt013
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Phil B wrote:Marler to face hearing.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35887510

So, Marler says something, then apologises. Lee accepts the apology (it's just banter, no worries)but the WRU deem it appropriate to ignore the feelings of grown men, and investigate further. There is nothing to investigate - what was said has been admitted, there was an apology, and it was accepted. No, the PC Police must show how self-righteous they are and blow it all out of all proportion. PATHETIC. :smt013
Cut out the'PC Police' rubbish. the Politically Correct notion is an invention of the tabloid press and used by those IMO who can't think through anything with a moral dimension. I happen to disagree with Iain BTW but see this as stemming from the WRU who have been a vindictive petty organisation for decades.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The guy apologised to Samson Lee at half time and knowing Joe he will be full of contrition. Just fine him and bann him for a couple of matches and lets get rid of this silly witchhunt. Although not condoning any behaviour of this sort at all, I do feel that the words molehill and mountains come into play.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:The guy apologised to Samson Lee at half time and knowing Joe he will be full of contrition.
Yet another player that Noddy Nose!! :smt002
"Noddy, you name dropping old antique, do you just watch him on TV and he becomes your friend? " - from an earlier post.

In your travel and taxi business you probably met William Webb Ellis too. :smt051
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

From what I've seen of Market, he's a big daft lad, but he's also fairly out there as a person, so I genuinely believe he's really disappointed in himself for what he said. I think he'll accept a few weeks ban without any complaint. He's actually one of the last England players I would have expected any kind of prejudiced remark from.

But World Rugby are right to step in.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

biffer wrote:From what I've seen of Market, he's a big daft lad, but he's also fairly out there as a person, so I genuinely believe he's really disappointed in himself for what he said. I think he'll accept a few weeks ban without any complaint. He's actually one of the last England players I would have expected any kind of prejudiced remark from.

But World Rugby are right to step in.
Bizarrely, for one of the lefties usually tagged with the non-existent 'PC brigade', I disagree. But then World Rugby may simply be using Marler as an advert for their 'credentials'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Ah so the PC Police have taken over World Rugby now, although apparently if you don't agree you're not able to think things through, at least according to the old lefties on here. :smt019
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote:Ah so the PC Police have taken over World Rugby now, although apparently if you don't agree you're not able to think things through, at least according to the old lefties on here. :smt019
PC Police is a right wing trope invented by the Murdoch/Rothermere papers many years ago - about mid-1980s when it was still routine for people to think using the N-word was funny and women were only there for domestic duties. In those days there was a lot of equality politics. Today the trope has become a tiresome excuse for people with nothing else to say about moral debates and no wish to think. A similar trope is the health & safety as applied to schools (there was a whole article on the H&S website explaining these comic media inventions), women's lib funnies (180 years after votes for women first came to Parliament) and the one about trendy-lefty schools barring competition (which occurred in less than a handful of primary schools and a couple of secondaries in the 90s).
Please retire these Walking-Dead Tropes :smt009
Rant over. :smt035
And I think World Rugby are ridiculous over this....and a few other things like rucks. :smt022
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95