Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player? No Sanction

Post by jgriffin »

Sample of the insults I remember from playing in Wales:
"I would've ****** your mother last night but she was wanted to make bacon" ( a good one I laughed at);
"***** off back over the bridge, English t**t" (how do you know I'm English received the follow-up that substituted Irish for English, and one pearler said "well it's obvious you ain't a (insult to black people)". I was happier with the one from Llanelli "Swansea gay boy", merely homophobic.
The WRU did not respond to my frequent letters of complaint. :smt009

(for the benefit of the terminally dull, this is meant to be slightly ironic and humorous).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So someone who plays for Wales describes himself as a Gypo yet someone who plays for England calls him a Gypo and is then classed as a rampant racist? Get a life PC brigade.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Meanwhile a Welsh player could easily have damaged the eyes of an English player, but that attracts no similar media attention. Is it just me missing the sanctimonious hypocrisy here?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

h's dad wrote:
Iain wrote:Who's called someone an English pig dog? I don't remember laughing at that.

I've explained that it's never okay to use someone's race or ethnic origin as an insult. I don't know how I can be any clearer to you. Hence why I'm out.
Iain wrote:You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.
Oh that.
That's a Monty Python quote. You're either now on the wind up, windmilling wildly or you might actually be a bit daft. Let's call it a day for this thread.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Who remembers the old Welsh coach Gareth Jenkins (whose record with the Welsh XV was not the best) being called 'gypo' by disgruntled Welsh supporters?

Surely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?
Semper in excretia
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Robespierre wrote:Who remembers the old Welsh coach Gareth Jenkins (whose record with the Welsh XV was not the best) being called 'gypo' by disgruntled Welsh supporters?

You don't seem to have grasped the real point in all of this. It's only the English who can be brought to book - no-one else. Until that truth is fully understood, we shall get nowhere.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Iain wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Iain wrote:Who's called someone an English pig dog? I don't remember laughing at that.

I've explained that it's never okay to use someone's race or ethnic origin as an insult. I don't know how I can be any clearer to you. Hence why I'm out.
Iain wrote:You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.
Oh that.
That's a Monty Python quote. You're either now on the wind up, windmilling wildly or you might actually be a bit daft. Let's call it a day for this thread.
I did manage to work that out. But you seem to imply that it's acceptable and even welcome if it's on about an hour and a half of celluloid, whereas it's not if it's on, um, about an hour and and a half of celluloid. I'm fairly consistent, it's you who is windmilling from one extreme to the other Iain.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Phil B wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Who remembers the old Welsh coach Gareth Jenkins (whose record with the Welsh XV was not the best) being called 'gypo' by disgruntled Welsh supporters?

You don't seem to have grasped the real point in all of this. It's only the English who can be brought to book - no-one else. Until that truth is fully understood, we shall get nowhere.
So I don't grasp the point? I'm only making a comparison with what is generally acceptable in Wales (but there are those Welsh who are genuinely embarrassed with that) but as soon as an Englishman utters the word - there is all hell to pay!
Sad, innit?
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote:
Phil B wrote:

So I don't grasp the point? I'm only making a comparison with what is generally acceptable in Wales (but there are those Welsh who are genuinely embarrassed with that) but as soon as an Englishman utters the word - there is all hell to pay!
Sad, innit?
Robespierre - I don't know if you are English or French? But I think you have misunderstood the irony/humour in Phil B's post....

Too long living in France?!
Soggypitch
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Interesting to hear/watch W Carling Esq on Sky yesterday afternoon talk about the time England lost to Wales in Cardiff and the abuse he got from Welsh supporters at a services when he stopped off on the way back to London.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Soggypitch wrote:.

Robespierre - I don't know if you are English or French? But I think you have misunderstood the irony/humour in Phil B's post....

Too long living in France?!
Morning, Soggy.

English, and yes, I think I misunderstood.

Too long living in France? Peut-être!!!
Semper in excretia
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35913618 I know the link says boxing - the BBC have cocked it up.

Marler's World Rugby hearing is set for next Tuesday (05 Apr). This is now nothing more than a witch hunt. It's plainly obvious someone at World Rugby is determined to punish this Englishman regardless and is quite willing to brush aside any decision made by the 6N organisers. Have the WRU gone bleating to World Rugby about the 6N's decisions - who knows? I make no bones about referring to Marler as an Englishman as I am sure this farce would not have progressed this far if he was of another nationality.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BeeJay wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35913618 I know the link says boxing - the BBC have cocked it up.

Marler's World Rugby hearing is set for next Tuesday (05 Apr). This is now nothing more than a witch hunt. It's plainly obvious someone at World Rugby is determined to punish this Englishman regardless and is quite willing to brush aside any decision made by the 6N organisers. Have the WRU gone bleating to World Rugby about the 6N's decisions - who knows? I make no bones about referring to Marler as an Englishman as I am sure this farce would not have progressed this far if he was of another nationality.
Agree totally, and I - as someone who witnessed the WRU when living in Wales - believe it is that organisation pushing behind all this. They were and still are a vindictive and obdurate organisation still mired in the vicious politics of Welsh rugby in the 70s and 80s.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

The problem is that it was not dealt with immediately. A one match ban could well have done the trick. Having gone to these lengths now I fear for JM and wonder how long the punishment will be.

The real problem is even though he apologised that still does not alter the fact he was out of order. The 6Nations like any organisation would struggle to turn the political correctness clock back. JM's opt out clause - apology - is too convenient for future offenders.

I actually think that a lot of this is about fatigue in that all international players need rest from the constant pressure and hopefully he and others will get that in the summer. If EJ makes the Australian tour a must win we could well go backwards fast.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

smalldell wrote:The problem is that it was not dealt with immediately. A one match ban could well have done the trick. Having gone to these lengths now I fear for JM and wonder how long the punishment will be.

The real problem is even though he apologised that still does not alter the fact he was out of order. The 6Nations like any organisation would struggle to turn the political correctness clock back. JM's opt out clause - apology - is too convenient for future offenders.

I actually think that a lot of this is about fatigue in that all international players need rest from the constant pressure and hopefully he and others will get that in the summer. If EJ makes the Australian tour a must win we could well go backwards fast.
Rhetorical question - is Lee also being sanctioned for his anti English comments/abuse towards Marler?