Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player? No Sanction

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player?

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Iain wrote:If people are going to scoff out the old "PC gone mad" rubbish then there's nothing else I can add.
It must be an awful existence, constantly moaning about having to be respectful and polite. I think they mistake the censure of abuse for oppression.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

'PC gone mad' is the refuge of those who don't want to think, same as 'health & safety gone mad' or 'lefty rubbish' or 'trendy education'.
The same people complain about being treated like dirt because they're white/black/brown/male/female/customers/creditors/workers/injured/ill etc. Facts never come into it.
Personally, agreeing with Attenborough, I think the human race is heading for near extinction due to ignorance and stupidity.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Warren Gatland has now apologised for saying it was banter.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Lee has said he took it as banter but also accepted the apology (which seems to have been genuine). For me this is a positive example in how to behave after making a mistake. It's not the mistake, it's the way you behave afterwards. This constant call for witch hunts in the media and social media does a society no good. We all make mistakes, say things we regret but shouldn't automatically be in front of the firing squad for it.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I'm getting annoyed with some of the reactions as well. I agree that the incident needs to be reviewed, on top of Marler's apology. It's the people who jump to the conclusion that he apologised and hoped that would be that. End of. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We don't know. What we can be sure of is that if he hadn't apologised, the reaction would have been a whole lot worse.

For some people, once you have committed a sin in their eyes, anything that you do afterwards is always wrong and is interpreted in the worst possible way. I'm not saying that they don't have grounds for this attitude and that they are never right. It's the treating everybody as an out and out racist (or whatever) out of hand. Some people are, some aren't.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Double post. :smt013
Last edited by jgriffin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

http://tinyurl.com/znhglom

This begins to sound like it's spiralling out of hand thanks to forces outside the two protagonists. Any disciplinary should take into account the facts not some witch-hunt. Marler made an immediate apology, Lee accepted it, Gatland tried to point out it was sorted. Now Gatland has to be sorted by the WRU, never miss a shot do they?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote:http://tinyurl.com/znhglom

This begins to sound like it's spiralling out of hand thanks to forces outside the two protagonists. Any disciplinary should take into account the facts not some witch-hunt. Marler made an immediate apology, Lee accepted it, Gatland tried to point out it was sorted. Now Gatland has to be sorted by the WRU, never miss a shot do they?
Time to remove the ref-link or put a delay on it so any bad language etc does not get immediately aired. It won't happen but as stated above, it has being taken out of all proportion, inflamed by some activists that wants their 'pound of flesh'. As for gareth thomas ( I use lower-case to indicate his 'small-mindedness) he should know better from from all the 'banter' that has been around in his playing days and that before he 'came out'. It was always accepted that a sincere apology was the end of a rift, nowadays a simple 'sorry' is never enough. I feel sorry for Marler, Lee and most of all Gatland - he must be totally bewildered by it all?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

ellis9 wrote:Warren Gatland has now apologised for saying it was banter.
The fact that he has felt it necessary to apologise for telling the truth is probably the most disappointing and upsetting thing I will hear today. A tragedy. :smt022 :smt022 :smt022
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Phil B wrote:
The fact that he has felt it necessary to apologise for telling the truth is probably the most disappointing and upsetting thing I will hear today. A tragedy. :smt022 :smt022 :smt022
Exactly. :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

jgriffin wrote:
Phil B wrote:
Exactly. :smt013
+1, and I withdraw my previous comment about agreeing with Gatland for the first time: he has failed me.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Gypsy moth and the Black witch moth say can you now all please refer to them using non racist names. Thanks in advance.

Also Blackbird says he is taking legal advice on the matter.

Not sure where Black Rod stands on all this but Snow White is non too happy and there's a stack of folks called Brown that are complaining.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

So, now that Marler has been found guilty until proven guilty does this leave him recourse to apply for mis-trial on the grounds of an unfair trial driven by media opinion and the views of self-entitled 'bloggers' forwarding their own cause?

How can he be given any impartial treatment now?

Have the 'morally offended on behalf of others' provided a way out of it? Maybe they should have just kept quiet until after the hearing and condemned him IF (when) found guilty. Not put so much pressure on the system that you know he WILL be found guilty because of outside influences.

For the record, I think he was daft, out of order, there's no place for it but, a fair trial is a basic principle / human right - even in sport.

Trial by media (and bloggers giving voice to the chips on their own shoulders - or maybe just attempting to gain publicity/notoriety for their own feebly biased opinion soapbox) should never happen - some of these peoples' self entitlement is allowed to run way out of hand.

He deserves a ban, no doubt in my mind, but will always be able to argue that his hearing was not 'fair' - IMO. I'm well aware many will not agree. 'Stone Him!!'

All I said was, "that piece of halibut was good enough for......"

Edit: I'm not necessarily meaning people discussing the matter on a rugby forum - this one or others, that's bound to happen.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/ ... name=wales

No sanction for the comment.

Thihnk he owes Samson Lee a beer for his attitude towards the whole matter.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player? No Sanction

Post by ellis9 »

Although I think the whole scenario has been blown out of proportion, for the organisers to say he will face no further punishment as they agree it was said in the heat of the moment, opens up a huge can of worms.

Did Dylan Hartley not call Wayne Barnes a :censored: cheat in the heat of the moment?!