Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Team vs Wasps

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:A post from Facebook:

This is much more a very good Wasps performance than a poor Leicester one. Credit to a very good team.
But this doesn't fit the narrative of this group. I swear some of you enjoy it when we lose so you can say "told you so".
I've even seen an admin boast that they've turned over at a point when we were only 12 points down.
For goodness sake. This was always going to be a game where wasps were favourites. A bit of perspective please fellow supporters.

I disagree Wasps looked good due to poor Tigers defence even Cocker's said post match that we gave away soft tries. Our defence has become a serious cause for concern as has our physicality.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Whilst we got a few things wrong playing an in form team on the road with that line up either they had to have an off day or we had to play a blinder. There was a couple of critical moments such as the disallowed try just before half time, that we really needed to go our way.
LeicesterImp

Post by LeicesterImp »

In form Wasps in win at home shocker??? U don't think that would be the headline tomorrow. Losing to the better team is nothing to be ashamed of despite some fans thinking Tigers should have a 100% record for the whole season! Get a result at home next week and we'll be back on track
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Our defense was so poor, they were able to run through the centre of our defense so often it was unreal. Before the game I was worried about the scrum, but that wasn't really a big area in the match and it was fine.
For Wades try why did Goneva compete for the high ball? He just had to wait for him to come down and take him into touch.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LeicesterImp wrote:In form Wasps in win at home shocker??? U don't think that would be the headline tomorrow. Losing to the better team is nothing to be ashamed of despite some fans thinking Tigers should have a 100% record for the whole season! Get a result at home next week and we'll be back on track
Agreed. we lost to the better side (That sticks in the throat!) and I shouldn't let my frustrations get the better of me.

Well played Wasps, :smt038 :smt038

It doesn't matter or hurt when we lose to you or have those nasty men on BT sport mock my team and point out its deficiencies!

I will grow up. I promise!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

As an add-on to that last point re. decision making, would it have been too risky (we'd already lost) to have had a 12 man shove in the last few seconds to give us a bonus point? Nothing ventured etc. etc.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Spicer wrote:Our defense was so poor, they were able to run through the centre of our defense so often it was unreal. Before the game I was worried about the scrum, but that wasn't really a big area in the match and it was fine.
For Wades try why did Goneva compete for the high ball? He just had to wait for him to come down and take him into touch.
Agreed

Goneva want for an impossible catch rather than tackle the player.

Does anyone know how our missed tackle/dropping off the tackle stats look like in comparison to others?
Blabyboy

Post by Blabyboy »

I watched the game in the pub with my footie loving mates. I tried to explain how massive home advantage is in rugby, fell on deaf ears. Turns out I'm an egg chasing, him flask drinking, tartan blanket in the stands wearing :censored: head!! Who would have thought it!!!
Still, I expected a tough game, the best side won. I still think we are progressing. We are definitely better to watch, even in defeat. I just hope that we can see a full strength team soon.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Grimlish wrote:
Spicer wrote:Our defense was so poor, they were able to run through the centre of our defense so often it was unreal. Before the game I was worried about the scrum, but that wasn't really a big area in the match and it was fine.
Agreed

Goneva want for an impossible catch rather than tackle the player.

Does anyone know how our missed tackle/dropping off the tackle stats look like in comparison to others?
I'm not sure what the defence coach can do when people simply miss first up tackles, that has to be down to the individual players.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

I'll agree that some of the reactions are a bit OTT. We played well for a lot of the match, but defence was a problem at key points. I would say the missed tackles were also a symptom of wasps excellent line speed and powerful runners, but there was definitely an element of physicality missing from certain players. Tait had an absolute shocker, personally I feel he had been rushed back into action too soon, I'm also mystified as to why Veainu didn't start, as Goneva looked sloppy and wasn't coping with the high balls. On the plus side, Thacker had an excellent game, Genge looked good when he came on (two very nice offloads and a strong carry) and there was great breakdown work from McCaffrey. We are struggling for depth and desperately need O'Connor back if we're going to make the playoffs and the European Semis.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

I think that Tait and Goneva have been rushed back far too quickly. Veainu needed a proper rest - he's been playing pretty much solid for a year! (He looked pretty sharp when he came on!) and yes, Genge looked :censored: excellent! :smt001
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Oh dear Tigers seemed to have learnt nothing from the Wasps Sarries match and got opened up down the middle quite easily.

Can't quite work out what Tigers are trying to do at times, seem to be trying to play a high tempo Super 14 type game but just don't have the players and fitness levels to do it.

Please can someone explain why when we had a line outs 10 metres or so out why were we going for off the top balls and backs moves instead of the old Tigers catch and drive? Give me the old Tigers approach in these situations any time.

I've said before Tigers have been poor since Christmas and I really can't see it turning around now this season. Still waiting for Godot.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

I'm a Tait fan, but he was not at the races on Sat. Looked way off the pace and clearly was not 100% fit. Why did we not play Veainu or Bell at FB and give Tait an extra week to recover.

I was shocked at what little game time M. Williams got, when clearly Leicester were lacking in physicality.

Next week is now the must win game, but we keep saying that every week.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Sorry Tigers - best team won on the day.
I don't see much improvement from that dreadful season when M Corry was captain.
Tigers strengths were supposedly SCRUM ,LINEOUT and SET PIECE.
This season they have all been but vacant.
IMO
Forgive TAIT for an Off day.
Goneva never seams to be at the races.
Burns is not Tiger class Still a good old Gloucester boy Williams relegated to Burns No.2 WHY???
I don't expect a team to win 100%
I do expect 100% effort.
Sadly lacking of late by some.
Positives we didn't slack of in last 20. Bristol boy looked like he was in the game. We hopefully have a fit trio to come back from EJ. :smt017 :smt013 :smt013
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

I reckon Aaron Mauger subscribes to the chaos theory - no pattern in the backs, no organisation and - too often - no tackling.