Tuilagi for England vs Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Tuilagi for England vs Wales

Post by Louis »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35758777

Two thoughts:

1) Great! He'll be instrumental in the inevitable English victory* and help secure us the Grand Slam** over the coming weeks.

2) Oh Poo! He's not available for Wasps, will probably get injured, if not injured he will get "Englanded" and we'll have to spend weeks getting him retrained back to the Tigers way.

* I know.

** No really, I know. A boy can dream.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tuilagi for England vs Wales

Post by baz1664 »

Manu will hit the bench, Daly binned back to wasps, good news is that George Smith has been cited, get Mike Williams up against Nathan Hughes and we might be in with a shout!!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

One can but hope EJ has got this right? I just hope it is not too much too soon?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Both Manu and Daly retained by Jones, Jones has big decisions to make on Saturday!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Personally I'm glad for Manu. He is international quality and should be playing at the highest level. Other than his physical well being there should be no other consideration. And as he has had a fair amount of game time and being extremely physical in the tackle and running with the ball I don't see a problem fitness wise.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

baz1664 wrote:Both Manu and Daly retained by Jones, Jones has big decisions to make on Saturday!!
Great for Manu, disappointed for Tigers (vs. Wasps as the weekend). I'm sure some of those big hots were to prove readiness and potential contribution.

As for the England team, I would bet that Jones has made his decision but is keeping every one guessing, especially the Welsh. Who knows what the England centre pairing will be - at least we have one element of surprise! (And don't this feel like the Lancaster regime again?)
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Can't help but feel it is a month too early.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Bet Farrell will be pouting about this...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

So...against the Pests...JDV; Betham; Matt Smith...2 centres plus one on the bench? Has Matt Smith recovered from his training ground concussion and is JDV (and his nose) in one piece?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

According to Cocker's when interviewed post the Chiefs game, the issue is with JDV's knee and Tigers are looking after him.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Louis

Post by Louis »

ourla wrote:Personally I'm glad for Manu. He is international quality and should be playing at the highest level. Other than his physical well being there should be no other consideration. And as he has had a fair amount of game time and being extremely physical in the tackle and running with the ball I don't see a problem fitness wise.
I am also similarly made up for the lad. I just want him cloned so we have a few spares.
Willie

Post by Willie »

Less than 3 full games in a year and EJ thinks he is good enough for England, does this say something about the standard of the backs in the AP.

Seeing him against LI he is no where near ready to play international rugby yet, should be left at Tigers until fully match fit, before getting called up.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

baz1664 wrote:Both Manu and Daly retained by Jones, Jones has big decisions to make on Saturday!!
Wonder if he might go with Daley at 13 with Manu on the bench? Might have worked out that Joseph isn't creatig enough against the stronger teams? Interesting to see if he will go with yet another new centre pairing or stick with the one so far.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
MaxGlayn

Manu Tuilagi named in England squad to play Wales

Post by MaxGlayn »

Manu Tuilagi returns to England's matchday squad to face Wales in the Six Nations at Twickenham on Saturday.

The Leicester centre, 24, has not played for England since June 2014 because of a groin injury and disciplinary issues.

He replaces Alex Goode in the 24-man squad and is likely to start on the bench, while Northampton prop Kieran Brookes has been included.

Head coach Eddie Jones will name his starting XV on Thursday.

Exeter hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie provides cover for Jamie George, who suffered an arm injury in training last Thursday and will undergo further medical checks.

Brookes, has been named in place of club team-mate Paul Hill for the game between the two unbeaten countries in this season's competition.

Tuilagi has scored 11 tries in 25 England appearances but his international career has been disrupted by injury and disciplinary problems.

He was left out of the World Cup squad last year after admitting assaulting police officers in April 2015, an offence which he denied in September.

Named in England's original 33-man training squad to face Wales, he was released to play for Leicester last weekend.

Tuilagi scored his first Premiership try for almost two years as Leicester beat Exeter 31-27.

England flanker James Haskell said: "He is a threat and a very special player. I don't often look at people and think 'I wish I had some of his genes'. He is pace, power and strength personified.

"He will have an impact, he always does. I've played with him against some of the best teams in the world and he causes everybody trouble.

"Even if he has a bad day, someone will still get taken down or he'll run through someone. Very few players have the ability to do that.

"He was obviously sorely missed at the World Cup. Whenever he is not involved in the game he is missed."

England are one point clear of Wales at the top of the Six Nations table after winning their first three games.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi named in England squad to play Wales

Post by Soggypitch »

I'm disappointed in that we could really do with him at Wasps.

But I get EJ's thinking about bringing him on for the last quarter and now Goode has been released and not Daly, it makes more sense and it is much less likely that Manu would have to come on early as injury cover.

Let's hope for a scintillating cameo, it will all add to Manu's confidence!
Soggypitch