The King is dead

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The King is dead

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

BBC website

As Hugh Laurie said, "Let the sad times roll."
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: The King is dead

Post by tigerburnie »

Great man of the blues, I think my memory serves me right that he appeared at the DeMontfort Hall on one of the Autumn Blues tours.RIP
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes certainly ranks with Hendrix and Duane Altmann as the best 3 guitarists of the last 100 years and as a role model for Clapton, Windwood, Buckingham and the rest including Paul McCartney and the rolling stones, Wyman,Richards etc. He will be sadly missed.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Best guitarist in the world? Hardly.

I have had to square my oldest Son up over statements like that.

The guitar is a widely used instrument and it has many forms of use.
The exponents of the electric guitar and indeed Mr King's blues style are skilled
enough and you can include everyone from Mark Knoffler to Hank Marvin among them.
BUT the greatest form of guitar playing is that of the classical Virtuosi.
The ability of many great classical players over the years is on a plane none of
the former (including the late Mr King) mentioned players could hope to ascend to.
In my opinion, one of the finest in the world is our own John Williams.(Australian born) and Andres Segovia his mentor.

After the top trench of classical players there is still a superior group of players above the pop and blues artists and they are the Flamenco, classicists of Spain and latin America.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Put Django Rheindhart in that list Smudge.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Smudge, I have never heard a classical guitarist who is capable of playing an electric guitar, nor vice versa. The skills required are totally different!

Yehudi Menuin's attempts at Jazz with Stephan Grapelli were stilted.

The only keyboard and piano player who was able to switch at ease between classical and rock was the classically trained virtuoso Keith Emerson. This exceptional ability to switch styles makes him a rarity in any form of music.

Your preference for classical guitar does not elevate its undoubtedly skilled players onto a plane unachievable to others, and classical guitarists too have a wide range of styles, paralleling Knopfler, Hendrix, Marvin et al.

All have their own skills, honed from long hours of study and practice. B.B. King invented a style, and that made him unique, and imitated, and his style eventually refined by the likes of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, SRV and others. That is what made him great.
Valhalla I am coming!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Antonio Forcione please............