Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: 2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours Thread Part 3

Post by amazing tiger »

its on the bbc website

London Irish have agreed a long-term deal to sign Leicester Tigers back Tommy Bell from next season.

Bell, 23, can play at either fly-half or full-back and has scored 72 points in 10 appearances in all competitions for the Tigers this season.

A former England Under-18 and Under-20 international, Bell kicked 23 points against Irish in a 28-16 Premiership victory at the start of the season.

The younger brother of Chris, he began at Sale Sharks before joining Wasps.

"I'm delighted to be joining London Irish next season," said Bell.

"Having met the coaches, there's a clear vision of where they want to take the club, which is exciting."
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Cilliers has chopped and changed sides 7 times in the last 8 years. Don't regard that as a good sign at all
I think we need to get used to props having done the rounds and I would rather be looking at experienced South Afican players than Italian.
The Premiership is far tougher than ten years ago, youngsters aren't going to walk into it like they once did, and it's not good for them to be under that sort of strain at such a young age IMO.
We are seeing Paul Hill do it but personally I don't like it and seeing really good props like Corbisiero and Cole suffer problems later on in their careers after coming through at such a high level so young is an example.
Expect more in the future to have what appears to be a checkered playing history, in the right environment that maturity can come good, Petrus du Plessis at Sarries being a great example.
Cheery chappy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He came through his Currie Cup team and progressed to the Super 15 team it feeds. Knee injuries dropped him down the pecking order so he changed Currie Cup and Super 15 team to get his career back on track. That was with the Lions who are down the SA pecking order. Good form there got him a move back up the pecking order to the Stormers before he moved to France for two years in normal South African fashion these days.

I wouldn't say that was doing the rounds, not like he went to France early and bounced around French clubs looking for the next big pay cheque. Good experience should make him a useful addition.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Just hope he turns out to be a better signing than the last prop we signed from France a certain French international prop Jerome Schuster.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote:Just hope he turns out to be a better signing than the last prop we signed from France a certain French international prop Jerome Schuster.

Or our last SA prop. :smt009
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sapajo wrote:Just hope he turns out to be a better signing than the last prop we signed from France a certain French international prop Jerome Schuster.
Anyone else remember Franck Tournaire? Great prop, great fun to watch, shame he had personal problems that took him back to France (IIRC).
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I agree JGriffin it is not the same without the local guys coming through but it seems it is getting more like premiership football each year..

By the way what ever happened to Djustice Sears-Duru did he not make the grade?

Losing Pearce is the one that rankles to be honest..really like the look of him and has a great nose for a try

Goneva- On too much money for us to warrant keeping him

Benjamin- Too injury prone surely?

Camacho- Please see above :smt003

Cilliers looks like a good signing and as put glad we aren't going after Italians as they are too used to losing IMO :smt002
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Losing Pearce is the one that rankles to be honest..really like the look of him and has a great nose for a try
Have I missed something? I don't remember reading anything concrete to say he's signed elsewhere. Can someone point me in the direction of anything confirmed please?
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:Losing Pearce is the one that rankles to be honest..really like the look of him and has a great nose for a try
Have I missed something? I don't remember reading anything concrete to say he's signed elsewhere. Can someone point me in the direction of anything confirmed please?
Nothing I've seen officially confirming it. Strong rumour, from what i understand.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

It has not been confirmed anywhere but from what I have heard he is definitely off :smt012
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Cilliers has chopped and changed sides 7 times in the last 8 years. Don't regard that as a good sign at all
I think we need to get used to props having done the rounds and I would rather be looking at experienced South Afican players than Italian.
The Premiership is far tougher than ten years ago, youngsters aren't going to walk into it like they once did, and it's not good for them to be under that sort of strain at such a young age IMO.
We are seeing Paul Hill do it but personally I don't like it and seeing really good props like Corbisiero and Cole suffer problems later on in their careers after coming through at such a high level so young is an example.
Expect more in the future to have what appears to be a checkered playing history, in the right environment that maturity can come good, Petrus du Plessis at Sarries being a great example.
What is your opinion based on?

Hepburn, Auterac, Hill etc are getting great exposure that will benefit England hugely in the long run.

Look at the improvement in Mako and Brookes over last 2-3 years, all from playing regular rugby.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Didn't Brookes miss an almost an entire season with a knee injury, and he was injured again at the end of 2015 and required knee surgery?
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

drc_007 wrote:Didn't Brookes miss an almost an entire season with a knee injury, and he was injured again at the end of 2015 and required knee surgery?
He played 41 games from 13-15 with Newcastle plus England games and I can remember Mako having one significant injury in last few years.

Players need to play to get better. Paul Hill will be world class in 2-3 years.

Do Leicester have one academy product that is 1st team starting quality at the moment?

What is going on with the academy? Some of the decisions have been strange in the last few years. I have been incredulous with some of the players kept on
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Do Leicester have one academy product that is 1st team starting quality at the moment?
There is no right or wrong way but there is a sensible and silly way!
You may be correct and Paul Hill could be world class in 2-3 years, if his young body holds up!
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Boy Dave wrote:

There is no right or wrong way but there is a sensible and silly way!
You may be correct and Paul Hill could be world class in 2-3 years, if his young body holds up!
Neck, shoulder or knees. Props need to be fully ossified, ligaments tight and solid, which a 23-year-old is barely. If you think that weight-lifters (whose frames bear similar poundage pressures) knacker their knees and often their backs by the time they are 30, and they do not encounter the shear forces, let alone the rest of the game, then betting on a young prop to avoid career-threatening injury is IMO a mug's game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.