Tigers pitch is a disgrace

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers pitch is a disgrace

Post by johnthegriff »

But they do cost the best part of one million pounds and we are currently laying out for new training ground, multi-storey car park and possibly the Granby Halls site. Plus of course the Crumbie stand will need replacing in the very near future which may affect any new pitch.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

johnthegriff - given the list of current expenditure, I would not register astonishment if the Crumbie redevelopment was put on the back burner for a few years.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote:But they do cost the best part of one million pounds and we are currently laying out for new training ground, multi-storey car park and possibly the Granby Halls site. Plus of course the Crumbie stand will need replacing in the very near future which may affect any new pitch.
Is anything happening with training ground right now? The others are some way off aren't they? And that £1m will be spread over the life of the pitch, which presumably is long.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

DCat wrote:johnthegriff - given the list of current expenditure, I would not register astonishment if the Crumbie redevelopment was put on the back burner for a few years.
I was speaking to Mr Cohen a couple of weeks ago and he told me the multi storey is the next project,. the Holland & Barratt is quite a way off !
PAW

Post by PAW »

DCat wrote:johnthegriff - given the list of current expenditure, I would not register astonishment if the Crumbie redevelopment was put on the back burner for a few years.
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

floridaboy wrote:
I was speaking to Mr Cohen a couple of weeks ago and he told me the multi storey is the next project,. the Holland & Barratt is quite a way off !
The multi-storey will unlock revenue to do everything else, so that's not surprising. If I'm not misremembering the Crumbie replacement is unlikely to add any extra capacity so I doubt there is much financial incentive to do it any time soon.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Crumbie development did not happen before the next World Cup. They need the extra time pre-season to minimize any costs involved (i.e. fewer games having to be played elsewhere).

I also doubt that we will be up to sellout capacity each week before then so any redevelopment would be purely be to improve the facilities.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ourla wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:But they do cost the best part of one million pounds and we are currently laying out for new training ground, multi-storey car park and possibly the Granby Halls site. Plus of course the Crumbie stand will need replacing in the very near future which may affect any new pitch.
Is anything happening with training ground right now? The others are some way off aren't they? And that £1m will be spread over the life of the pitch, which presumably is long.
But then there is the £250k every time it's relaid. I believe soccer clubs tend to do this every season with a desso pitch.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

The pitch (for football) is renovated each summer, but the Desso plastic system binding the pitch is not touched and lasts i believe around ten years. The summer renovations generally consist of shaving off all the grass and reseeding.

I think Exeter are the only team with a Desso pitch. It was interesting to see how it played against Saracens last Saturday. Even though there was a lot of grass missing owing to the weather, the surface was very firm and solid under foot, with no mud.

The difference between Exeter's pitch and a premiership football one, is i don't not believe it receives the expensive artificial light treatment during the winter to ensure growth. I would think Tigers would also not be able to stand this cost (they should share with Leicester city !).

So with inclement winter weather, we can still expect Tigers pitch to be without grass in places even with Desso. But it will play much better even though it doesn't look like the Kings Power pitch.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

LittleBigG wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Crumbie development did not happen before the next World Cup. They need the extra time pre-season to minimize any costs involved (i.e. fewer games having to be played elsewhere).

I also doubt that we will be up to sellout capacity each week before then so any redevelopment would be purely be to improve the facilities.
There won't be extra time from the next World Cup. There was only extra time this time because it was in this country.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Sajerj wrote:The pitch (for football) is renovated each summer, but the Desso plastic system binding the pitch is not touched and lasts i believe around ten years. The summer renovations generally consist of shaving off all the grass and reseeding.

I think Exeter are the only team with a Desso pitch. It was interesting to see how it played against Saracens last Saturday. Even though there was a lot of grass missing owing to the weather, the surface was very firm and solid under foot, with no mud.

The difference between Exeter's pitch and a premiership football one, is i don't not believe it receives the expensive artificial light treatment during the winter to ensure growth. I would think Tigers would also not be able to stand this cost (they should share with Leicester city !).

So with inclement winter weather, we can still expect Tigers pitch to be without grass in places even with Desso. But it will play much better even though it doesn't look like the Kings Power pitch.
The idea of sharing the "lamps" is a good one, I think LCFC pay around £25,000 to hire the lamps over the period, anyone who has been down to the city will testify to the quality of the pitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Difference in City v Tigers pitch probably has something to do with 1.5-2.0 tons of scrummages all over the pitch, that weight churning up the surface really needs to be considered. :smt045