Radio Commentary

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rayce
Tiger Cub

Radio Commentary

Post by Rayce »

I listened to the Gloucester match on Gloucester radio and I can say it was a real EAR opener,not sure who the two commentators were but I always knew what was happening in the game unlike Leicester radio commentary where I'm often left wondering what's going on.I will be listening to the away radio commentaries from now on.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Radio Commentary

Post by Soggypitch »

Bledwyn was away this week and it was improved with Mike McCarthy commentating.

Unfortunately I think the Welshman is due to return (bless him!).
Soggypitch
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

And again Bledwyn is slatted. Nothing wrong with his commentary its unique.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Soggypitch wrote:Bledwyn was away this week and it was improved with Mike McCarthy commentating.
I did pick up one "Bleddynism". At one point he referred to "the far side field" which I've heard our beloved Welsh friend use on several occasions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bletherin was a fine servant as a player for Tigers, a really nice bloke ,but he is not a radio commentator and our ex captain adds little either. I have stopped listening to them this season.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rayce
Tiger Cub

Post by Rayce »

Snorbins wrote:And again Bledwyn is slatted. Nothing wrong with his commentary its unique.
Sorry Snorbins but something can be unique and still have faults.I am not having a go at Bledwyn I have met him and he is a very nice man.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Mike McCarthy was indeed a major step forward. I want RL to keep Bled on as a pundit, but no more commentaries please. Sorry Snorbins but if you listen to Bleds commentary whilst watching the game, the two are only loosely connected.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I love Steve Johnson :smt026 :smt024
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

RL aren't perfect, sure, but a few years ago I couldn't get the RL feed and had to try the local radio commentary. Whilst the home team had the ball the commentary was fine, if not more than a tad biased. However, when Tigers got the ball the commentary ceased as they chatted about anything and everything but the rugby. Then they got the ball back and normal service was continued.

Things may have changed but at least Bledwyn does try to be fair to both sides. Quirky maybe but to paraphrase, 'He might be quirky, but he's our quirky'. :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There will be no criticism of Blithering Jones on my watch :smt013

Yes he confuses players, yes he gets flustered when there are exciting moments, yes he relies on his co-commentator to tell him what's actually happened, yes he pronounces names completely wrong much of the time, yes he is a bit one eyed.... but he's our institution. He's amusing. If you want to know what's actually happening find yourself a stream on the internet. I'm glad there are now post-match podcasts so you can hear how he called it.

Rather him than Johnson by the way. I find him depressingly miserable.
samsapples

Post by samsapples »

Johnson seems to put a downer on things even when we score
gamebird

Post by gamebird »

Bled and Johnno are great Its a bit like Blowers on TMS its different but so worth a listen
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I enjoy the Bledwyn and Steve commentary enormously.