Stade v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Stade v Tigers

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote:I agree with DickyP that Veainu looks more dangerous playing at full back than wing. I also think Betham has been one of our stand out players this season so should be regularly on the wing.

We will certainly need to sort out why we were continually out flanked on Sunday.
Thats an easy one we committed to many bodies to the ruck leaving our defensive line short of numbers and our lack of line speed invited them on. The worry is that whilst it was a clear planned strategy by Stade to outflank us which they did so with comparative ease, we seemed either unable or incapable of redressing this shortcoming during the match. Strangely enough Tigers are not strangers to being susceptible to this tactic and its about time we learned when and when not to commit numbers to the breakdown. Wash my mouth out Sarries have learned to do it very well along with their line speed.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

sapajo wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:I agree with DickyP that Veainu looks more dangerous playing at full back than wing. I also think Betham has been one of our stand out players this season so should be regularly on the wing.

We will certainly need to sort out why we were continually out flanked on Sunday.
Thats an easy one we committed to many bodies to the ruck leaving our defensive line short of numbers and our lack of line speed invited them on. The worry is that whilst it was a clear planned strategy by Stade to outflank us which they did so with comparative ease, we seemed either unable or incapable of redressing this shortcoming during the match. Strangely enough Tigers are not strangers to being susceptible to this tactic and its about time we learned when and when not to commit numbers to the breakdown. Wash my mouth out Sarries have learned to do it very well along with their line speed.
They'll be accusing you of hating Tigers and loving Sarries next.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

If you want to pick your FB based on breaking the opposition line then Veainu is a better option than Tait, but you need to consider all aspects of FB play.
I think the most balanced back three would be 15. Tait, 14. Veainu & 11. Betham. This way the best 3 players are on the field.
Goneva makes too many mistakes and I think will be off this summer. Where as Thompson is a solid back up.

For this week I would play Betham at 13 with Manu at 12. Back three would Veainu at FB and Thompson and Goneva on the wings. Tait's turn for a week off.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

Over the past couple of weeks Tait has been played at 13, who has controlled Manu alongside him playing at 12.
This week there was less discipline in midfield, but Manu scored a try at 13.
Its the same old story...you have to weigh up the points scored through gambling vs the points saved through losing your defensive system.
Veainu and Manu gamble a lot more flying out the line and drifting from their positions in search of opportunities, but they also score a lot of points.
Tait organises the back line better far than the others, but he rarely takes gambles these days and he hasnt scored a try yet this season. Betham hasnt done much wrong this year which is why i couldnt understand why he didnt start on saturday.
Its a difficult call what our stonrgest combination is. I'd go with
15.Veainu, 14. Goneva, 13.Tait, 12 Manu, 11. Thompstone
I'd be keen to know how much influence Mauger has on the backs selection.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

G.K wrote:Well all I can say it's a good job Tigers had already qualified as that was generally a poor performance. Most of the players just ambled about, the line speed was poor and the back row play was poor. I felt Tigers improved after the substitutions, especially with the half backs. Still hopefully this game can form a learning experience for the return in the quarters.
Isn't this getting things the wrong way round? We had already qualified and in reality we were going to be seeded 2nd regardless of result. For Tigers it was a "nice to", for Stade, it was a "need to". Other posters have commented on the difficulties of getting motivated to the highest level when it is not a "must win". The performance was to a large degree a result of the situation. If we had needed a win, they would have played differently, although not necessarily better.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think the difference in the backs started with the fly halves, theirs was very lively and their centres were very good. Uunfortunately Ben was slow and indecisive and Freddie was well off his game and should have slotted his kicks.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

Timmers - "I'd go with
15.Veainu, 14. Goneva, 13.Tait, 12 Manu, 11. Thompstone"

The problem or headache we have is we need to factor in JDV into the equation, once he's fit.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Guinness&Nuts wrote:Timmers - "I'd go with
15.Veainu, 14. Goneva, 13.Tait, 12 Manu, 11. Thompstone"

The problem or headache we have is we need to factor in JDV into the equation, once he's fit.
I'd be tempted to say
15. Veainu 14. Goneva 13. JDV 12. Manu 11. Thompstone/Betham but im not sure JDV has the pace for 13 anymore
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Looking at the names (and those not mentioned) it's a pretty good problem to have I reckon.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Never thought I would say this

BUT
IMHO Manu is far too fat, and his defence is a lottery

Simple try, but he nearly got tackled by a prop.. His rush defence is a coach's nightmare

Plus he needs three weeks in Denver with a top Nutritionist...

Me, for the moment I would def have 15 Veainu 14 Betham 11 Goneva and yes, Smith in the Centre to shore things up. Either Tait or Manu or JDV in the other

And Bell wouldnt be out of place at 10 if FB is off form
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
G.K wrote:Well all I can say it's a good job Tigers had already qualified as that was generally a poor performance. Most of the players just ambled about, the line speed was poor and the back row play was poor. I felt Tigers improved after the substitutions, especially with the half backs. Still hopefully this game can form a learning experience for the return in the quarters.
Isn't this getting things the wrong way round? We had already qualified and in reality we were going to be seeded 2nd regardless of result. For Tigers it was a "nice to", for Stade, it was a "need to". Other posters have commented on the difficulties of getting motivated to the highest level when it is not a "must win". The performance was to a large degree a result of the situation. If we had needed a win, they would have played differently, although not necessarily better.
I take your point but if the result was so unimportant then why put out the strongest team?

Also looking at the way Stade opened up Tigers fairly easily I'm not convinced Tigers could have done much about it if there had been a lot riding on it.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

G.K wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
I take your point but if the result was so unimportant then why put out the strongest team?

Also looking at the way Stade opened up Tigers fairly easily I'm not convinced Tigers could have done much about it if there had been a lot riding on it.
The difference between the squad announcement and the game was that everyone was expecting Racing to win at Galsgow so we had to win to finish 2nd.

But since they lost that game this match had no bearings pretty much.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Never thought I would say this

BUT
IMHO Manu is far too fat, and his defence is a lottery

Simple try, but he nearly got tackled by a prop.. His rush defence is a coach's nightmare

Plus he needs three weeks in Denver with a top Nutritionist...

Me, for the moment I would def have 15 Veainu 14 Betham 11 Goneva and yes, Smith in the Centre to shore things up. Either Tait or Manu or JDV in the other

And Bell wouldnt be out of place at 10 if FB is off form
I don't expect Manu is up to speed yet with fitness or tactics.
Physique's have changed a little with the rise in quality of opposition defence's quick feet around contact seems to have become the current fashion but there is still a time and place for players like Manu, and it is up against the very best where Manu comes alight.
Manu is a big game player IMO where others flatter to deceive against average opposition and hit a wall against the big boys Manu will come into his own.
The Stade 12 Danty was a constant pain at the weekend.
Once Manu is fully 100% match fit he will show his worth.
Rumours about Bell moving on, I really rate Bell and wonder how good he could be with a run of games under his belt!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

As I said, you can argue that the result didn't matter. It didn't really - not for the European Cup, but a win away would have given the team some confidence and momentum going into a long period without their international players now.

Tigers have to be confident in being able to go away to these places (France) and win.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:As I said, you can argue that the result didn't matter. It didn't really - not for the European Cup, but a win away would have given the team some confidence and momentum going into a long period without their international players now.
We aren't actually losing that many are we?