Captain Hartley

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Captain Hartley

Post by Soggypitch »

I don't agree with this decision and I rate OTY as an all round better player.

However I will be supporting England (and by implication Dylan) as usual; as always EJ will be judged on his results.

To say Hartley should have received a life ban is a complete joke, likewise I'm not concerned about the role model scenario - it's about time England started selecting their best players regardless of past indiscretions etc..
Soggypitch
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Wrong choice IMO. Dylan is beyond changing at this stage of his career. He is a powder key waiting to go off and do something stupid at a critical time.
He has been significantly been helped by not playing much this season and so has avoided recent misdemeanours. You can be a hard player like Johnno or O'Connell without being dirty and underhand.
As a short term change of regime captain I can just about buy it but as a long term England captain he is a poor choice particularly as a role model.
A poor start for EJ
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Soggypitch wrote:I don't agree with this decision and I rate OTY as an all round better player.

However I will be supporting England (and by implication Dylan) as usual; as always EJ will be judged on his results.

To say Hartley should have received a life ban is a complete joke, likewise I'm not concerned about the role model scenario - it's about time England started selecting their best players regardless of past indiscretions etc..
No it isn't.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I presume you do not agree with Noddy's (who else) ridiculous suggestion of a lifetime ban for DH Cagey?!

Therefore I assume you don't think England should select "bad role models"?

That's a fair enough opinion but where do you draw the line? Surely on that principle Manu should not be selected after jumping off a ferry, assaulting two police officers etc. Likewise Cips for drink driving and for being an all round pain in the a**e when previously in camp with England - going right back to Johnos era. Likewise Danny Care for drink driving and I'm sure there are a number of others.

Personally I would select on merit and not worry about the perceived role model scenario, because the decision about what constitutes a good and bad role model is very subjective and not relevant to rugby selection.
Soggypitch
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Dullan is a liability and the week after next it could well be a case of:

Tae send him homewards tae think again (again)
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

G.K wrote:Dullan is a liability and the week after next it could well be a case of:

Let's hope :smt002
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Stu_F wrote:
G.K wrote:Dullan is a liability and the week after next it could well be a case of:

Let's hope :smt002
Will EJ be capable of admitting such a big mistake so early in his tenure?

Or is it a stroke of genious?
Still keeping the faith!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

That is the big question and only time will tell!

My gut feeling is that EJ has selected a disposable skipper.
Many very good potential international hookers around at present, not something that can be said of most other positions.
On the other hand it could go well and we are stuck with Hartley, not something that is sits comfortably with all!
It doesn't matter how dirty others have been in the past as times have changed, rugby is in the spotlight more and more these days and what players or Captain's did in the past is now irrelevant.
If EJ is looking for a harder in the face leader to push the boundries then that's fine but I am not sure if DH can control himself to the level required of a Captain and be the same player?
It's a big gamble but not if you get the drift!
Cheery chappy
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

he will no doubt get himself banned again and when this happened hopefully Tom Youngs will Laugh at Eddie Jones for an hour down the phone before telling him he made his bed now sleep in it
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jimmy Skitz wrote:he will no doubt get himself banned again and when this happened hopefully Tom Youngs will Laugh at Eddie Jones for an hour down the phone before telling him he made his bed now sleep in it
Mind you Tom increased his own card count last weekend in an effort to be considered by EJ
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:he will no doubt get himself banned again and when this happened hopefully Tom Youngs will Laugh at Eddie Jones for an hour down the phone before telling him he made his bed now sleep in it
Mind you Tom increased his own card count last weekend in an effort to be considered by EJ
I actually missed most of the match due to my own stupidity, what was he sin binned for?
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Jeremy Anderson wrote:
I actually missed most of the match due to my own stupidity, what was he sin binned for?
He cleared out leading a bit with his shoulder and followed up with a couple of soft punches that may or may not have connected - many suspect in retaliation to the gouging going on from Stade which the ref and TMO were ignoring.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

The Boy Dave wrote:

That is the big question and only time will tell!

My gut feeling is that EJ has selected a disposable skipper.
Many very good potential international hookers around at present, not something that can be said of most other positions.
On the other hand it could go well and we are stuck with Hartley, not something that is sits comfortably with all!
It doesn't matter how dirty others have been in the past as times have changed, rugby is in the spotlight more and more these days and what players or Captain's did in the past is now irrelevant.
If EJ is looking for a harder in the face leader to push the boundries then that's fine but I am not sure if DH can control himself to the level required of a Captain and be the same player?
It's a big gamble but not if you get the drift!
Disposable indeed - he'll be too old for the next RWC and will have been overtaken in the pecking order.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Disposable indeed - he'll be too old for the next RWC and will have been overtaken in the pecking order.
Politics at it's finest!
is it a stroke of genious?
Cheery chappy
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Politics it is alright - EJ's making sure we remain a second rate Rugby nation for the next 5 years. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.