Team for Stade?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Team for Stade?

Post by Soggypitch »

Well it's the middle of the week and we've not got a thread yet about the potential starting team/squad for Sunday. Cockers said he would pick his best team, so here goes;

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Kitchener
5. Fitzgerald
6. Croft
7. McCaffrey
8. Pearce
9. Youngs
10.Burns
11.Goneva
12.Smith
13.Manu
14.Betham
15.Veainu

16.Balmain
17.Thacker
18.Logo
19.Barrow
20.Crane
21.Harrison
22.Bell
23.Tait

That's assuming none of the current injured players are available. If we play that side or close to it, I would expect us to be very competitive and hopefully win, to give us a good chance of a home semi (if we win our quarter first of course!).
Soggypitch
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Stade?

Post by PM76 »

Soggypitch wrote:Well it's the middle of the week and we've not got a thread yet about the potential starting team/squad for Sunday. Cockers said he would pick his best team, so here goes;

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Kitchener
5. Fitzgerald
6. Croft
7. McCaffrey
8. Pearce
9. Youngs
10.Burns
11.Goneva
12.Smith
13.Manu
14.Betham
15.Veainu

16.Balmain
17.Thacker
18.Logo
19.Barrow
20.Crane
21.Harrison
22.Bell
23.Tait

That's assuming none of the current injured players are available. If we play that side or close to it, I would expect us to be very competitive and hopefully win, to give us a good chance of a home semi (if we win our quarter first of course!).
Would agree with that myself but suspect that Fitzgerald may play at 6 with Barrow at lock and Croft on the bench ahead of Crane. Also suspect that Tait will be at 15 with Veainu on the wing and probably Goneva on the bench. But they really are minor selection issues!!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I would go:

4. Barrow
5. Kitchener
6. Fitzgerald
7. Croft
8. McCaffrey

Might also be tempted to play Manu and Tait in the midfield.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Hard to disagree really. But I'll say again: how nice for there to be real quality options. Even with eleven injuries.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Normally I'd be reluctant to send the big guns down for a game like this but I'm right up for sending a proper message and winning away in France would do just this. It would be nice to see our strongest available side travel down with virtually no pressure on them and see what they can do. I actually think a good win away in France could push us forward mentally to the next level and is well worth the risk that certain key players might get crocked playing. A bonus point win away to a top class side would be massive.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

And don't forget that being seeded 2nd gives the possibility of a home semi-final as well. To guarantee it we'd need to win with a TBP!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think soggypitch has got it about right, but I think Tait will be a bit miffed on not being in the starting 15 given his recent performances
in that role.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Could we see JDV on the bench this week? Must have recovered from his broken jaw by now?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kingol22 wrote:Could we see JDV on the bench this week? Must have recovered from his broken jaw by now?
Not according to the Merc.

I think the forwards almost pick themselves - maybe there is an argument as to whether you pick Croft at 7 (with McCaffrey at 8 doing his normal stuff!) or have Pearce. If I was a betting man, the Fitz, Croft, McCaffrey back row would probably start.

As for the back line, I think it hinges around Manu. If he starts I can see Tait at 13 with Veainu at 15. To be fair, the wings are more difficult in this case, but Betham and Thompstone probably would get the nod if I was RC. If Manu is on the bench I'd expect to see Smith and Betham in the centre with Veainu leaving Thompstone and Goneva to fight for the other wing! Bell or Bai on the bench? Tricky!

Good choices to have, even with JDV not up to speed and Toomua 8 months away.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
kingol22 wrote:Could we see JDV on the bench this week? Must have recovered from his broken jaw by now?

I think the forwards almost pick themselves - maybe there is an argument as to whether you pick Croft at 7 (with McCaffrey at 8 doing his normal stuff!) or have Pearce. If I was a betting man, the Fitz, Croft, McCaffrey back row would probably start.

As for the back line, I think it hinges around Manu. If he starts I can see Tait at 13 with Veainu at 15. To be fair, the wings are more difficult in this case, but Betham and Thompstone probably would get the nod if I was RC. If Manu is on the bench I'd expect to see Smith and Betham in the centre with Veainu leaving Thompstone and Goneva to fight for the other wing! Bell or Bai on the bench? Tricky!

Good choices to have, even with JDV not up to speed and Toomua 8 months away.
Not that JDV is registered for Europe so his fitness this weekend is hardly relevant.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Stu_F wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Not that JDV is registered for Europe so his fitness this weekend is hardly relevant.
Quite, no point registering him until he's fit. Mind you, it is interesting that Morris (for example) hasn't been de-registered. I still wonder what the contingency is if OTY or Thacker are injured between now and Sunday! :smt001
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Crane at 8, Tait at 15, Veianu on wing and Goneva on bench
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

So I went yesterday to the training session of my beloved club, Stade Français Paris Rugby. Jaysus it's cold out here! So they had to move the aforementioned session to a synthetic pitch. After a bit of this and some more of that, they started training. Instead of opposing to teams on the length of the pitch, they gave to the players three types of waistcoats of different colours and started a three-team opposition. So there were three lines, you see, and only one ball. So one of the lines of men had to wait for the ball while the two others were fighting for it, you see ? Hence a certain degree of confusion, you see? But that was good fun.

Then they made an honest to Gawd opposition, and we started guessing what team would be fielded against the mighty Tigers...

Well, I'll keep that to my chest until Saturday if you don't mind, but we are obviously going to field the very best we have: due to injuries you will therefore see on the pitch the chief gardener, the Sergeant Major of the brass band, the winner of this year best chocolate brownie contest etc.

Ooooooooh I feel like surrendering ! :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I think everyone will have similar teams for this one. I'd be tempted to rotate a bit, but happy to trust Cockerill that it's worth pushing on.

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Fitzgerald
5. Kitchener
6. Croft
7. McCaffrey
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10.Burns
11.Goneva
12.Smith
13.Manu
14.Veainu
15.Tait

16.Thacker
17.Logo
18.Balmain
19.Barrow
20.Pearce
21.Harrison
22.Bell
23.Betham

Only shame is that there's not a place for Thompstone, who I think has earned one. I'd be tempted to rest Manu, play Betham in the centre and have Thommo on the bench.
Never believe generalisations
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I can't argue with the teams put forward if we are going to play the strongest side. However, whilst we will go all out for the win, if Racing win convincingly on Saturday with a TBP against Glasgow, and sarries also win with a TBP, I believe we would also need a TBP to come second which is a tough ask away to Stade. I would then not be surprised if there were a few last minute changes due to 'injury'.